New k-r user

I'm using comgateway. Fast but not the cheapest... I believe borderlinx cheaper... I hope for the best.

Actually today I wanted to purchase the da 18-135mm from gizmobuy but no stock I was disappointed Kenneth informed me need to wait 2-3wks...

http://ihfullgenz.blogspot.com/2008/06/comgateway-deserves-5-stars-for-their.html

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2077942&page=29

Secondly, I paid the premium to have the product delivered to me through 'express delivery' which they claimed in their website that it takes 3-4 days to deliver to me. Well I made the payment on the 8th January and only received the tracking number today (12th Jan)!!! The estimate delivery date is 18th January!!!!

Actually all have had their fair share of complaints - but my point is, it's never a given that they will follow what their website says. :bsmilie:

U r rite I heard alot abt how they provide "excellent" service.

Bro u scare me leh... Damn it I kinda regret...

Bro u scare me leh... Damn it I kinda regret...
In any case, Gizmobuy's estimate of lens arrival will also be inaccurate.

There are always issues with ordering online, etc.... When you have a physical lens present in the shops that you can test, try, etc, there's a reason why people still prefer physical shopping in such cases. :)

Anyways, if you have already made a decision, just live with it. Getting the lens early or not won't make a huge difference in your life la...

Lol pls forgive me I ish n00bie mah... Oh btw if I buy pentax da 18-135mm WR lens from amazon USA then ship to sg got warranty? Pls pardon me.
we all start from a noob. Even the pro are also a noob in somebody's eyes. so don't worry. lens, lenses or len - as long as it could be understand should be fine. just don't type those alien language that need 5mins to decode.. =) and Welcome to PENTAX

Oh btw the pentax da 18-135mm WR lens can be attached to kr?

Actually today I wanted to purchase the da 18-135mm from gizmobuy but no stock I was disappointed Kenneth informed me need to wait 2-3wks...

Oh, I must be the lucky one. I got it from Gizmobuy on Friday.

I knew it had to be someone from clubsnap... Bro how is the lens? Mind snapping some shots and upload for us? Please.

I am looking for a filter to serve as an protector to the len as well as to minimize the reflection on the glass.

Kindly guide this clueless noob pls.
For cutting the reflections while shooting water or glass, I found Polarizer filter very impressive.
It enhances the contrast in the photo and cut down harsh reflections.
Only side effect is that it cuts some light also but if light is good (daytime) it should not be much of trouble.

iarshad said:
For cutting the reflections while shooting water or glass, I found Polarizer filter very impressive.
Only side effect is that it cuts some light also but if light is good (daytime) it should not be much of trouble.

Can share which type u using?

I would not recommend using a polarizer as a protector. As you point out, it cuts out light. I'm sure a lot of people do not just shoot in bright daytime settings.

You don't need a filter protector for lenses - as much I've seen people claiming that the filter protects the front lens elements, I've also read of instances where the filter glass bits scratched the front lens elements.

Currently all my lenses are naked, and I use them naked. They are optimized to be used without filters - I cannot imagine Pentax making a lens saying that "oh look, some other cool filter manufacturer out there has made something for users to cut down the reflections and ghosting on OUR lenses, let's optimize it for that".

If you MUST use a filter for the sake of some psychological invisible benefit, my suggestion is to use at least Hoya. A UV filter is what is usually used because it is neutral, cuts down VERY LITTLE light (much less than a polarizer). Some alternatives include Marumi, B+W, etc.

Last edited:
edutilos- said:
I would not recommend using a polarizer as a protector. As you point out, it cuts out light. I'm sure a lot of people do not just shoot in bright daytime settings.

You don't need a filter protector for lenses - as much I've seen people claiming that the filter protects the front lens elements, I've also read of instances where the filter glass bits scratched the front lens elements.

Currently all my lenses are naked, and I use them naked. They are optimized to be used without filters - I cannot imagine Pentax making a lens saying that "oh look, some other cool filter manufacturer out there has made something for users to cut down the reflections and ghosting on OUR lenses, let's optimize it for that".

If you MUST use a filter for the sake of some psychological invisible benefit, my suggestion is to use at least Hoya. A UV filter is what is usually used because it is neutral, cuts down VERY LITTLE light (much less than a polarizer). Some alternatives include Marumi, B+W, etc.

edutilos, thank you for your insight u just convinced me I dun need a filter! I do snap photos at night and a filter will make the image darker.

edutilos, thank you for your insight u just convinced me I dun need a filter! I do snap photos at night and a filter will make the image darker.

Another good reason to not use filters at night is the added chance of ghosting and flaring.

That said, it is always important to not go shoving your gear into funny things or let it dangle around dangerously so that you can't get it out of the way when something happens.

Another good reason to not use filters at night is the added chance of ghosting and flaring.

That said, it is always important to not go shoving your gear into funny things or let it dangle around dangerously so that you can't get it out of the way when something happens.
Agreed !
If protection is the main purpose, CPL is not the solution. Moreover this is not the type of filter which always stays on camera, reason as said before 1-2 stop drop in light.
However it depends on type of photography you are doing. I have seen results drastically improved with CPL in daylight.
I have used CPL with my Fujifilm S5700(pns). Just got pentax k-r with Tamron. Yet to own CPL for that :)
See below for benefits.
http://www.waterfall-picture-guide.com/polarizing-filter.html