new D40 or second hand D50

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky lin

Jun 14, 2007
Hi guys

should i get a new D40 or a second hand D50 .. just wan to upgrade to a entry DSLR

Hi guys

should i get a new D40 or a second hand D50 .. just wan to upgrade to a entry DSLR

For your reference.
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=296394
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=265117&page=4 (Read from page 4 onwards, see my points on the D40, how others have differing opinions on it, (D50 is very similiar to D70, with exception for Commander Flash mode and lighted LCD. D70 itself is a toned down D80) and make your decision)

Hi I have D50 first and then D40. I prefer D40 more due to its light weight and handling. Of course it depends on the user also.

chanjyj himself has a D40 and like me, he loves it.

Hi I have D50 first and then D40. I prefer D40 more due to its light weight and handling. Of course it depends on the user also.

chanjyj himself has a D40 and like me, he loves it.

Eh eh.. how you know I own a D40? (Is that why so many people are PM-ing me for D40 help? :bigeyes:)

Suggest to go for a second hand d50, should be cheaper, and also allows you to use more third party lenses.

Make sure you know that D40 can only use AFS or equivalent lenses. You are cut off the rest of the AF/AFD lenses, no cheap bargains unless you are prepared to manual focus the lenses.

I would rather on this basis go for D50.

I know nothing of the image quality, noise, etc. Consideration only for the use of lenses.

I agree on the D50 too for all the above reasons...i used to ahve the D40 and got no $ to buy the AFS 17-50 70-200 f/2.8...

I agree on the D50 too for all the above reasons...i used to ahve the D40 and got no $ to buy the AFS 17-50 70-200 f/2.8...

?? Nikon doesn't have any lens called 17-50. Only one that comes close is the Tamron 17-50, and the Sigma 18-50.

?? Nikon doesn't have any lens called 17-50. Only one that comes close is the Tamron 17-50, and the Sigma 18-50.

sorry typo error its afs 17-55 f/2.8

Why not try getting the D70s second hand?

The body only would cost about $700. Then pick your own lens to go with it... ;)

I think the d50 would be a better choice if only because of the range of lens that are available. The d40 will greatly restrict the lenses you can buy. But in the end it may not be so important. In all likelyhood you will want to move on to a better featured dslr in the future. Just get one and start shooting!

Why buy a camera that's already discontinued? Just for the AF? For the price, better to buy a current model. The D40 will come with a warranty, whereas a used camera is probably already out of warranty. And if you aren't worried about warranty and you're counting your pennies, you can get a new Pentax K100D for the price of a used D70! :bsmilie:

Why buy a camera that's already discontinued? Just for the AF? For the price, better to buy a current model. The D40 will come with a warranty, whereas a used camera is probably already out of warranty. And if you aren't worried about warranty and you're counting your pennies, you can get a new Pentax K100D for the price of a used D70! :bsmilie:

I dunno about creampuff's logic, but I do have to say that if you have a good eye and quick hands, autofocus is not a real limiting factor on the D40.

D50 LCD screen makes me think twice if I want to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.