Network for photographers' assistants

which studio is benny ang with? is he very young?

excentrique said:
Hmmm.. geoff ang now have 2 permanent assistants.., Wee kim don't like assistant and only use pro part-time, Charlie studio really very damn far, Russell uses one of my friend.. Not too sure about mark law or benny ang.. Good luck man.

wee khim have a very good full time assistant who happen to be a good friend of mine.

mark also have a reasonably competent full time assistant.

wah..i wanna be a PA..
even if its FOC..
I'm so envious of them..

muwhahaha...don't spoil market leh :bsmilie: just kidding!

while it is not true that all those who assisted will become famous one day, it is true that *almost* all famous photographers started out assisting in some way or other. what are your views?

yes, late Helmut Newton started out this way too. he apprenticed a famous German lady photographer. In his early learning days, he accidentally exposed rolls of films when he erronously switched on the wrong switch while in the darkroom. When asked to see the films later by the photographer, he claimed that the films were fogged outside the darkroom. He knew that the photographer knew what happened but did not screamed at him. this is one of those 'stupid' days of an assistant.

Wah!! some one please take me as their assistant!!!! :eek:

reachme2003 said:
this is one of those 'stupid' days of an assistant.

one of my 'stupid days' involve spending a long time 'fine-tuning' the positioning of a particular piece of lighting, wondering why it don't seem to have an effect at all. wanted it to bounce and reflect off a shiny surface. turns out i forgot to turn on the slave.

imagine two idiots 'guiding' each other along ... "ok ok .. abit more..to the left..ya, ok..."

i have assisted on a number of architectural interiors shoots already, and recently, i have been approached to take some interior shots for a designer. not really for advertising or industrial usage, but more for the designer's portfolio. this is also a good chance for me to finally shoot something of my own!

in addition to using existing ambient lighting, i would like to complement it with additional lighting of my own. however, personally, i do not own any lighting equipment of any sorts. borrowing lights from my previous bosses is out of the question. therefore, i am appealing to anyone who can help me in this area! beg,steal,borrow or provide info on where to rent them?? :bsmilie:

thanks very much in advance~

been doing freelance photography/photography asst/production crew/anything goes for almost 2 years. kinda like the flexible time and the exposure gain from helping in photo and video shoots. :bsmilie: :angel:

Stereobox said:
while it is not true that all those who assisted will become famous one day, it is true that *almost* all famous photographers started out assisting in some way or other. what are your views?

i agree. to learn is to learn from ground up.

hey..welcome hellrock

ya..agree with the flexible part. but sometimes have to eat ownself :bsmilie:

Hi Everbody,

I am working as a freelace assisant with a few photographer.I started out as a Full-time assisant,then later i switch to freelance.Now i do freelance with Ruth Soh.I love her work a lot.

She is one of Singapore top female Photographer.She is my favourite photgrapher.I love the way she do her lighting.If you want to know more about her,you can go to her web site www.ruthphotography.com.

I have been a freelance for the past 4 years,i have learn a lot from different things from different photographer.Whereever i see the prints on the Magazine,i will think of all the hard work all ppl go through,just to get the pic right.I want to come out of my own soon.so i hope that by this year i will be able to do on my own. :)

Now i am working on my portfolio.i hope that i can share with you guy once i am done.

"Never give up your Dreams.Work on it,It will come true." :angel:

hi aggie...thanks for joining us here! :)

all the best to your career and do share with us your experiences! (especially the one about HSA ;) )

I admire those photographer assistants who can stay in their post for a long period of time. As for me, I chose to give my my job to shoot for this trip......and I have no regrets doing it. This is not a photography trip as I was warned but I continued to shoot what I like. Hope I did some justice to photography as an ex-PA. :)

Link to my album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2132856078

ling13 said:
Hi Everbody,

I am working as a freelace assisant with a few photographer.I started out as a Full-time assisant,then later i switch to freelance.Now i do freelance with Ruth Soh.I love her work a lot.

She is one of Singapore top female Photographer.She is my favourite photgrapher.I love the way she do her lighting.If you want to know more about her,you can go to her web site www.ruthphotography.com.

I have been a freelance for the past 4 years,i have learn a lot from different things from different photographer.Whereever i see the prints on the Magazine,i will think of all the hard work all ppl go through,just to get the pic right.I want to come out of my own soon.so i hope that by this year i will be able to do on my own. :)

Now i am working on my portfolio.i hope that i can share with you guy once i am done.

"Never give up your Dreams.Work on it,It will come true." :angel:
interesting to use the magnifying loupe on ruth soh's website.

Here i am to share a story of one of me as a assisant photographer job about 2 years ago_One of the photoshoot we are shooting is for the Health Science Authority (HSA) Annual Report Book.We have to go every department for a photo-shoot.So there is this photo that we have to take for the Mortuary Department,where when someone die,they will being the dead person to this place.

That day when we are shoot,there was not suppose to have any dead body inside,It have a lot of fridge for the Dead body,when we first went in,the floor is wet,as the cleaner have just mop the floor,We cant shoot the place as the floor is wet,so we have to go to another room to take a look at which is the best angle before the shoot,The place is smell of blood.So i was to set up the lighting and to load the film,as we are shoot inside the place,we did not know what is going on outside. :dunno:

We start to shoot inside the place first where we can see a place for the doctor to cut open the body,the metal Table.After the first shoot,my photographer ask me to check on the first room to see whether the floor is dry or not.As i open the door,i was so shock :eek: to see a dead body in there,I was so scare that i close the door.I told my photographer about it,then he have to ask the ppl working there to remove the dead body so that we can continue to shoot.

When we will able to shoot from the first room,i was so afraid,cos imagine that there is a lot of dead body inside the fridge,we ask one of the worker to pose the pic for us,at first there was like 6 ppl inside the room,suddenly when i turn around,there was only the photographer,me and the guy who pose for us inside,my photographer and me,we can feel that our hair stand up,cos when we did the shoot,it was somemore during the Chinese "7 Month",i was so afraid after i saw the dead body that i cant sleep for 2 weeks.

Its like when i close my eyes,i can see the dead body. :cry:
After the shoot,we have to take some of the instrument to shoot in the studio,one of the product is the chopping board that the cut out the human body,i was so scare but i still have to bring the board back to the studio.. :sweat:

It was one of my scary experience for me.

ling13 said:
It was one of my scary experience for me.

this is quite cool, thank you for sharing. i guess i will never have the chance to do something like that. unless i do a fashion spread in the morgue. quite morbid.

Well i guess this is a one time my life experience for me.We get to go a lot of the Department,like the Blood centre,the DNA Department,one of my favourite.then they is a lab where they test for Drugs,And there is a place that they can trace how ppl forge the 4D,they have a special machine to see it,like those you watch on CSI show.i think this is one of the coolest shoot that i have been. :) :thumbsup: