Need wide angle prime lens for D3100 - or upgrade to D7000?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry abt it, been a little MIA because the Fuji X100 is very distracting (thinking of buying la) haha!

I'm looking for a place to rent some of these lenses here in Shanghai before I travel to some scenic spots. Might be going to Xinjiang and Yunan so wanna be prepared for some nice landscape shots.

The Samyang looks very interesting, finally a prime wide lens!!!! F2.8 some more but I was always a bit wary of Samyang lenses - only ever considered Nikon and the big 3 independents.

Btw, one of my friends was saying buying Nikkor lenses is the safest option, because further down the line it'll almost always work with the future bodies that I get. While Tamron, Tokina Sigma etc. might not be guaranteed to work.

I was really considering the 12-24 F4 for the build quality and performance. The Sigma 10-20 F3.5 is also interesting.

But if the Samyang is cheaper and performs the same or better than these lenses it seems like a better option.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry abt it, been a little MIA because the Fuji X100 is very distracting (thinking of buying la) haha!

I'm looking for a place to rent some of these lenses here in Shanghai before I travel to some scenic spots. Might be going to Xinjiang and Yunan so wanna be prepared for some nice landscape shots.

The Samyang looks very interesting, finally a prime wide lens!!!! F2.8 some more but I was always a bit wary of Samyang lenses - only ever considered Nikon and the big 3 independents.

Btw, one of my friends was saying buying Nikkor lenses is the safest option, because further down the line it'll almost always work with the future bodies that I get. While Tamron, Tokina Sigma etc. might not be guaranteed to work.

I was really considering the 12-24 F4 for the build quality and performance. The Sigma 10-20 F3.5 is also interesting.

But if the Samyang is cheaper and performs the same or better than these lenses it seems like a better option.

Know that with the Samyang, you will not have Autofocus. And for older models of the Samyang, you will not have metering as well for you camera. That means you need to know how to arrive at your own metering. The newest version (released less than a month ago) comes with a chip for metering, but so far, I feel the metering is not as accurate in certain situations. And for both the D3100 or D7000, 14mm is actually not that wide. The praises for the Samyang is its ability to give good IQ for FF cameras at this low price point. So using it on a cropped APS-C sensor camera is not doing yourself or the lens any justice at all.

Last edited:
how about mf old lens? i have a tokina rmc 17mm f3.5. nice and small. and the picture quality are nice too. mf is totally not a problem. google it and i'm sure you get a look of it.:D