Need suggestions on upgrading to a higher-end DSLR

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot... Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. I am impressed by the fast responds. I agree that I should start on full lenses first and get the body later as I progressed. I felt more motivated now. Thanks a lot. By the way, my end of course assignment topic is out. It consists of 4 themes which are Framing, Shadow, Pattern and Sihouette. Have to take 2 shots each for the 4 themes. Any place to recommend for taking these shots? Thanks.
just open your eye big big to observe everyday objects around you, you will be amaze you can find all of them within a day.

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot... Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions. I am impressed by the fast responds. I agree that I should start on full lenses first and get the body later as I progressed. I felt more motivated now. Thanks a lot. By the way, my end of course assignment topic is out. It consists of 4 themes which are Framing, Shadow, Pattern and Sihouette. Have to take 2 shots each for the 4 themes. Any place to recommend for taking these shots? Thanks.
heh..good that u understand now..

with regards to your assignment topic.. good that they inform u already so..now its your job to do the homework. Photography is an art by itself so think out of the box..be more observance and unleash the creatively part of you. Keep shooting and keep looking. I'm sure u will get it.

Hope u can find your shots soon. :)

Another point of view... if you don,t clock 30k shutter annually, print door size prints regularly, travel to harsh conditions, get paid for your photography all the time, save some money for a nice dinner or a nice trip.

I just upgrade my body from 2-yr-old D5100 to D7100 and purchase Tokina 11-16/2.8 last tues.
I love it very much especially when I can use back those old -D lenses.

I think your Nikon D5100 can handle the sort of themes you got there. High end equipment is usually required for more demanding stuff, like fast moving action, such as sports coverage or birds in flight etc.

The advantage of high end equipment rapidly diminishes when the situation gets simpler. I am usually amused when people describe how they need FX cameras with the high ISO and fast AF to capture their "fast moving kids"... How fast can kids be? Haha. In the end, half the images are still blur, typically due to photographer errors such as indecisiveness and failure to fully utilize the functions of the camera.

Have confidence in your equipment. That's all that you need.

This is very true.

Man - Machine interface cuts both ways.

Being familiar and knowing the strengths and weakness of the equipment is key to fully utilizing the equipment to achieve optimum results.

Use the body and lens more and focus on achieving the composition of the photo is the one aspect that yields the most immediate and dramatic impact on the end results.

"high-end" gear is only when certain requirements are required and unless one does them on a consistent basis, it is just not cost effective.

It is a common misunderstanding that with lesser FPS means one cannot capture fast action photos. But that is not true. High FPS gives a greater chance to capture the "money shot" the determination of if a fast action can be captured is dependent on understanding the movement of the subject, hence applying the focus, having the right shutter speed and pushing the shutter button. If one cannot adjudge the moment to focus, get the correct shutter speed and push the shutter, high FPS is pointless. Surely in poorer light conditions, high ISO abilities are required but in day light conditions, there is no advantage unless one is shooting at 1/3000 sec for small birds in flight.

I think your Nikon D5100 can handle the sort of themes you got there. High end equipment is usually required for more demanding stuff, like fast moving action, such as sports coverage or birds in flight etc.

The advantage of high end equipment rapidly diminishes when the situation gets simpler. I am usually amused when people describe how they need FX cameras with the high ISO and fast AF to capture their "fast moving kids"... How fast can kids be? Haha. In the end, half the images are still blur, typically due to photographer errors such as indecisiveness and failure to fully utilize the functions of the camera.

Have confidence in your equipment. That's all that you need.

Last edited:
I notice that for FX lenses, it doesnt come with bulit-in auto focus motor as the motor is buit into the FX body instead. This mean that i will have to manually focus when i use FX lens on my D5100 body that doesnt have the bulit-in auto focus motor.

HI Ben Lim.

Nikon lenses have 5 types or generations.

Beginning with the latest to the oldest. AF-S, AF-D, AIS, AI, PRE AI.

AF-S lenses, the AF motor is built in the lens, the motor is an ultrasonic wave motor (Sonic Wave Motor). All Nikon D series camera body support this lens type.

AF-D lenses, the lens focus with a screw drive coupling from the camera body. The AF motor is in the camera body. Semi pro and pro bodies all have this motor in the camera body.

AIS and AI lenses can be used on camera that support manual focus lenses, just enter the lens focal length and aperture value in the camera menu and it will work with matrix metering, D5100 doesnt support this function. The D7000 and D7100 can support AI and AIS lenses.

PRE AI lenses are very ancient lenses that can only be used on the camera body without the aperture index ring. Nikon F, F2 body. Never mount PRE AI lenses on bodies with a aperture index ring..

So for the D5100 you will have no problem using any AF-S FX lenses but for the AF-D lenses, you can use it too but will need to focus it manually because the D5100 doesnt have a built in screw drive focus motor.

Last edited:
I notice that for FX lenses, it doesnt come with bulit-in auto focus motor as the motor is buit into the FX body instead. This mean that i will have to manually focus when i use FX lens on my D5100 body that doesnt have the bulit-in auto focus motor.

Technically, you're referring to the SWM module which allows lower end bodies to drive the AF. Not all FX lenses are without SWM, and not always SWM is necessary.

All FX lenses currently have a AF module in them, it's the lower end bodies that do not have the torque screw on the mount to drive the AF, thus they require SWM lenses.

That's also a valid reason to change from D5100 to a FX or higher end body, if you feel crippled by it.

Not sure if all the fx lenses have built in AF motor, but for those who don't have, yes you have to manually focus...

Not sure if all the fx lenses have built in AF motor, but for those who don't have, yes you have to manually focus...

They have, it's just whether the camera have the torque screw that drives the AF motor.

D7000
ZLENSMOUNT.JPG

D5000
D5100_nolens.jpg

Hi everyone,

only AF-S lens have focusing motor, see post #31.