Need help with fully manual SLR.

yes I only own EF-s lens. Do you know of any film SLRs that are good enough?

If you put an EF-S lens on a 35mm film body you will get vignetting ( shadows ) in the corners because the APS-C sensor size that the image is designed to project onto is smaller than a 35mm film frame.

Are you sure you have EF-S lenses and not just EF lenses ? If you have any EF lenses then look for one of the old EOS film cameras. EF are designed for full frame digital cameras so almost the same size as 35mm.

I have an old Canon A-1 with some FD lenses back in the UK and will be bringing it over here later in August with a view to selling. It is a superb camera with manual, Av, Tv and fully auto modes. Also self-timer, multi-frame exposure, stop-down metering etc. PM me if interested in buying, I am not expecting a huge amount, just enough to offset the purchase of some macro equipment.

I just thought of something...

TS, you can try TRL cameras from Seagull. It is very retro and fun to use. Not very expensive if you know where to look.

seagull1.jpg

Ermm..i would say go for nikon FE or FM2 series...
4523460908_4ee244a9bb.jpg

Although FE series arent fully mechanic..but it still works wonder...

i think every brand has their best SLR system...

Olympus OM series also good...can try OM2n or OM1n
the lens for these cameras are more easily found!
4522871281_dbca5d047b.jpg

Think for basic body plus lens, if u really try hard to find, confirm can find below $300

If budget is very tight, also consider the Nikon FM10. It is rated very low as a collectible, but that is also why it is very cheap. But it is a full mechanical camera. The metering will need batteries, but if you do not put batteries in, it will still work in full manual mode. It is not popular as it is OEM manufactured by Cosina and not made by Nikon themselves. But it works wonderfully and is not too old. First released in 1995, it was available for sale new even a couple of years ago. Should be very friendly to your wallet to get your hands on one.

4816520355_36507e8517.jpg

If you put an EF-S lens on a 35mm film body you will get vignetting ( shadows ) in the corners because the APS-C sensor size that the image is designed to project onto is smaller than a 35mm film frame.

Are you sure you have EF-S lenses and not just EF lenses ? If you have any EF lenses then look for one of the old EOS film cameras. EF are designed for full frame digital cameras so almost the same size as 35mm.

I have an old Canon A-1 with some FD lenses back in the UK and will be bringing it over here later in August with a view to selling. It is a superb camera with manual, Av, Tv and fully auto modes. Also self-timer, multi-frame exposure, stop-down metering etc. PM me if interested in buying, I am not expecting a huge amount, just enough to offset the purchase of some macro equipment.

what is the estimated price that you are willing to sell it at? does it include the lens? I find that FD lenses are pretty hard to find. hahhaha.

thanks for the replies guys! and I've seen some people recommending Pentax K1000. Any views on it?

thanks for the replies guys! and I've seen some people recommending Pentax K1000. Any views on it?
Try Google with "[camera type] review" as search string. Will bring up a lot of review sites.

TS, if you are using an APS-C system now, you have a very good reason to try out film SLR to enjoy full 35mm frame, huge and bright view finder, and best of all, the wonderful world of old but classic manual focus lenses.

Suggest you choose either Olympus OM-1n with a 50f1.8 lens or the slightly better and more expensive Nikkor FM2/50f1.8. Both are recommended because all the old OM and Nikkor manual lenses can be adapted to your EOS DSLR. Check the BnS section now and you have a few choices. Personally, I also use EOS DSLR and own a full OM SLR system, camera with 8 lenses and I still enjoy shooting film. The bonus is that all the 8 OM lenses are simply wonderful on my EOS 5D.

Send me a PM and I can assist if you are serious.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Really depends on how much bells and whistles you'd want.
Old Pentax Spotmatic which use M42 mount screw mount,
K-mount : K1000, KM, ME super all are about the same price.
There are other brand equivalents but I'm not familiar with those.

Agreed, the FM10 is a very good choice for beginners, but not the lens that is mounted. Nikkor's FM series SLR is very popular and can be repaired easily at many places. The Nikkor Ai and AiS lenses are also excellent for film, especially the 20mmf3.5, 24mmf2.8, 35mmf2, 50f1.4, 105f2.5, 200f4, 35-105 zoom. Also, these are wonderful on your EOS DSLR without costing you a leg and an arm.

If budget is very tight, also consider the Nikon FM10. It is rated very low as a collectible, but that is also why it is very cheap. But it is a full mechanical camera. The metering will need batteries, but if you do not put batteries in, it will still work in full manual mode. It is not popular as it is OEM manufactured by Cosina and not made by Nikon themselves. But it works wonderfully and is not too old. First released in 1995, it was available for sale new even a couple of years ago. Should be very friendly to your wallet to get your hands on one.

4816520355_36507e8517.jpg

ts, why do u want a fully manual slr? will modern slr (with AF, various meter & mode) set to manual mode satisfy you? they are also cheap + if u get canon slr, though u cant use efs lens on the camera, but whatever new canon lens u buy (old 3rd party ef mount lens likely to have problem in new canon dslr) can be use with ur dslr + u still have AF.

If it's the same, then, why go back to film, might as well stay with DSLR. Also, with the same features and AF, TS may go back to the same habbit of just shooting from the hip. Taking good photos with a manual SLR and lens is not accidental. One is forced to master and control both to do this. It's a good way to learn photography and personally, I feel this should not be discouraged.

ts, why do u want a fully manual slr? will modern slr (with AF, various meter & mode) set to manual mode satisfy you? they are also cheap + if u get canon slr, though u cant use efs lens on the camera, but whatever new canon lens u buy (old 3rd party ef mount lens likely to have problem in new canon dslr) can be use with ur dslr + u still have AF.

If it's the same, then, why go back to film, might as well stay with DSLR. Also, with the same features and AF, TS may go back to the same habbit of just shooting from the hip. Taking good photos with a manual SLR and lens is not accidental. One is forced to master and control both to do this. It's a good way to learn photography and personally, I feel this should not be discouraged.

i not discouraging ts lar, just a gentle reminder for think carefully why want full manual camera. using modern slr also can put camera & lens to manual mode, only different i c is manual lens has distant marking, make hyper-focusing & zone focusing & zone system abit easier to use.

also, ts, remember this if u intend (i just assuming here ok) to use manual lens on ur EOS DSLR via adapter :

1) metering may not be accurate (off by 1stop is possible) and it changes between aperture u use.

2) focusing by turning the manual lens from
a)near to far
b) far to near
will affect the accuracy. even if the adapter has af confirmation chip telling u it is in focus or u use split focusing screen (but this is much much more complicated, dont go there if u can unless ur EOS DSLR comes with the option of split screen by canon themselves).
OOps, i forget some DSLR has live view.

in short, u must really know the lens deep deep to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Just be informed, that's why I suggested that he PM me first. I have an EOS camera, all manual focus lenses and only one AF lens, just in case I need AF, not the other way round. But I am different. However, when one uses a manual focus lens on a DSLR, one needs to master and understand the relationship of aperture, shutter, ISO, lighting and metering, and this will be useful in the long term. Nothing wrong in going back to basics if one really wants to appreciate photography.

i not discouraging ts lar, just a gentle reminder for think carefully why want full manual camera. using modern slr also can put camera & lens to manual mode, only different i c is manual lens has distant marking, make hyper-focusing & zone focusing & zone system abit easier to use.

also, ts, remember this if u intend (i just assuming here ok) to use manual lens on ur EOS DSLR via adapter :

1) metering may not be accurate (off by 1stop is possible) and it changes between aperture u use.

2) focusing by turning the manual lens from
a)near to far
b) far to near
will affect the accuracy. even if the adapter has af confirmation chip telling u it is in focus or u use split focusing screen (but this is much much more complicated, dont go there if u can unless ur EOS DSLR comes with the option of split screen by canon themselves).
OOps, i forget some DSLR has live view.

in short, u must really know the lens deep deep to get the best out of it.

TS, if you are using an APS-C system now, you have a very good reason to try out film SLR to enjoy full 35mm frame, huge and bright view finder, and best of all, the wonderful world of old but classic manual focus lenses.

Suggest you choose either Olympus OM-1n with a 50f1.8 lens or the slightly better and more expensive Nikkor FM2/50f1.8. Both are recommended because all the old OM and Nikkor manual lenses can be adapted to your EOS DSLR. Check the BnS section now and you have a few choices. Personally, I also use EOS DSLR and own a full OM SLR system, camera with 8 lenses and I still enjoy shooting film. The bonus is that all the 8 OM lenses are simply wonderful on my EOS 5D.

Send me a PM and I can assist if you are serious.

Cheers.

Anthony!!! I second u! Im in love w my nikon 55mm f1.2!!!
and all the OM lens on my EOS! Its so amazing wat old lenses are all about!

The force from the dark side is strong...

Full mechanical film SLR. Sounds like a nikon to me.

TS, but the good thing is, once you get those old AiS or Ai lenses, you can use them on your Canon DSLR, with an adapter. Those old lenses are amazing.

For a good fully mechanical SLR... Nikon F2as ftw!

4816785054_b53e89d6f0.jpg

And no.... it is not for sale. It's been in our family for 30+ years.

I like your pc lens. Have a F2 also 30+years still shooting. Few more rolls of Kodachrome and back to E6 process again.

Though of getting one, but the end use a much larger format to do so. As you said old lenses is very amazing.
hee hee

Yes and no. Just be informed, that's why I suggested that he PM me first. I have an EOS camera, all manual focus lenses and only one AF lens, just in case I need AF, not the other way round. But I am different. However, when one uses a manual focus lens on a DSLR, one needs to master and understand the relationship of aperture, shutter, ISO, lighting and metering, and this will be useful in the long term. Nothing wrong in going back to basics if one really wants to appreciate photography.

er... do u mean yes to my point (1) & (2) or no to them?:confused: