Need help: G16 or G1XMk2

jamestan

Aug 16, 2004
Singapore
Hi, I intend to get a compact with CR2 as well as ability to connect external flash and I've narrowed down to these 2 models. Can I know from the pros here, what justifies the $400 price difference between the 2 cameras? Specs wise, they are almost similar, except:

1. Sensor: G1x2 bigger
2. Touch screen, Yes vs No (but I don't need touchscreen feature)
3. Flip screen. Again I don't need that

I'm really not sure if I should pay the $400 difference in price tag. Please help me if I missed any feature out of the G1X2 that'll make the $400 worth it.

Thanks a lot. Cheers.

Hi, I intend to get a compact with CR2 as well as ability to connect external flash and I've narrowed down to these 2 models. Can I know from the pros here, what justifies the $400 price difference between the 2 cameras? Specs wise, they are almost similar, except:

1. Sensor: G1x2 bigger
2. Touch screen, Yes vs No (but I don't need touchscreen feature)
3. Flip screen. Again I don't need that

I'm really not sure if I should pay the $400 difference in price tag. Please help me if I missed any feature out of the G1X2 that'll make the $400 worth it.

Thanks a lot. Cheers.

The size of the sensor between the two cameras is the biggest difference.

I have the G15 as my second camera and I really like the portability, size and weight. I take this camera when I know that results for the kind of photography I intend to take will make little difference as to which camera I bring along... the G15 or the Canon 5D3. I would categorize this type of photography as 'snapshot' photography... photos that won't tax or go beyond the limits and capabilities of the G15. These would include, casual family photos, vacation shots, simple walkabout photography, etc.

However, when I get into low light photography, 'fast' photography (for sporting and events), macro photography, photography which requires a creamy background, etc., I will take my trusty 5D3 with its larger sensor which I know will perform much better than the G15.

So, in answer to your question, it really depends on what kind of photography you intend to do. If 'snapshots' will be your main subject area, then the G15 is the answer. However if you intend to take specialized photos that is more taxing to the sensor, then the G1X2 is the answer.

Here is a hand-held sunset photo straight out of the camera that I took with my Canon G15 at the Changi Ferry Terminal a few weeks ago:

2014-06-21%2520-%2520Changi%2520Ferry%2520Terminal-0869-Web.jpg

Last edited:
If you can afford $400 then take G1xII rather than face the problem of not happy with lower IQ esp in low light situation then spend another few hundred bucks or more on another camera.

Can consider eos m too.

Must it be a Canon compact? The point of additional flash, is it because u already own a canon flash? If not u may consider compacts from other manufacturers. There's quite a no. of prosumer compacts out that rivals canon's offerings.

I'm also considering between these 2 (and Sony RX100 Mark III).

Which one is more suitable for taking photo of an active children?

Thanks

I'm also considering between these 2 (and Sony RX100 Mark III).
Which one is more suitable for taking photo of an active children?Thanks

Among the various cameras listed, the Sony RX100 M3 is the clear winner... by a huge margin. :D

I have a young kid and nothing beats the good old DSLR. Went down the mirrorless route and switched back after a year. For active kids, DSLRs are still your best bet. My recommendation: SL1 with a cheap fast lens (e.g., 40 mm pancake or 35 f/2 IS).

Last edited:
Among the various cameras listed, the Sony RX100 M3 is the clear winner... by a huge margin. :D

I have a young kid and nothing beats the good old DSLR. Went down the mirrorless route and switched back after a year. For active kids, DSLRs are still your best bet. My recommendation: SL1 with a cheap fast lens (e.g., 40 mm pancake or 35 f/2 IS).

Oh ya... I should have mention I need a more compact size camera. I still have my good old Canon 50D with me. It's just that bulkier...

Thanks anyway :)

Oh ya... I should have mention I need a more compact size camera. I still have my good old Canon 50D with me. It's just that bulkier...

Thanks anyway :)

I would go for either the RX100 or G1XmkII, both are pretty small in size (the G1XmkII is bigger though) but in my opinion size and weight wise, both are acceptable.

From what I see, RX100 Mk3 has no hot shoe for external flash.