Need help from audiophiles audio buffs on buying sound system

Yes, hi-fi and home theatre are different. Make sure you know the difference. Although some home theatre systems do offer great hi-fi options.

If you are too confused, just start with a good speaker system (we call it front end) and then build your system around it.

I have been using Epos speakers for a long time, and recently they came out with even better speakers. My dream pair of (small) room bookshelf speakers would be the Harbeth or Spendor LS3/5A. I used to own a pair of Rogers LS3/5A, which I regrettably sold off (they are collectibles now). But if your space is larger, get larger systems. B+W and Monitor Audio, not too bad for 5+1 systems. I generally do not like US speakers (eg Bose, etc) - too bright and tiring on the ears. Brit speakers tend to be warmer and great for classical & vocals. French speakers also can be considered.

Anyway, the topic of hi-fi is too long and tedious to be discussing on a forum.

me only lowly westone um-1. haha

You need to listen to it and hear it and again remember when you bring the system back the sound will be change again. High end is very high even compared to photography, can be upwards of 6 figure.

i agree, first of all when you audition the amp and speakers on shops, the room is acoustically treated and that adds to the overall sound quality. don't be surprised if the sound is different when you get home.

Also important to note your placement of speakers etc. sometimes there may be space constrain and you are limited to only some choices.
Enjoy.

this leads us to the next question, how big is the room where the audio system will be placed. typically for a small room, bookshelf speaker will suffice. but not in my case :sticktong ...

i currently have an entry level HT setup (denon av receiver and a pair of paradigm floorstanders). i plan to complete my HT system but due to budget constraint, I settled for 2-ch stereo setup for the mean time. my preference is 60% HT, 40% audio. with that said, I'm inclined to getting a speaker that can perform decently well with lows. hence, even with a small room, I prefer to get a FS than BS to cover the bass.

@ TS, if you're dead serious with audio, I suggest you go for tube amps. ;)

So...
What happened?

NATO?

First of all, A very big thank you to everyone with the advice.

I think I will try with the suggested website for a read.

Contrary to some assumptions here, don't worry, I'm not "going into" audio. That's why I need help. I'm totally noob about audio equipment. I just got the money, want to get a professional (preferably from a reliable shop, that's why I asked), pay him to help me, and then enjoy the sound quality in my living room. I love movies and music.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere (think it's an audio website or forum some time back) that an audio shop in Adelphi is willing to go to the home and set up the system.

And yup, maybe it's good if I state my budget here. It's about $8-10k.

Thanks again... But maybe I should go over to the suggested website now for more info.

So...
What happened?

NATO?

Got lah....8-10k budget for a newbie is quite large. Need more homework.

Sheesh, after moving in my new house 1 year later, the system still not set up and Danley DTS-10 sub kit still unassembled in the store room. :sweat:

Hey no lah. Dun say I NATO.

Been away cos of huge piles or work and other personal issues to settle. I hope to have time to sit down and read the info on xtremeplace after this weekend.

Looks like audio is a whole new game. Feels like when I first started photography, i was groping around. Now I take it for granted. But in audio, even simple terms rock me hard! :)

I didn't know there's a diff in home theatre and audio. Pardon me. Guess you guys are technically accurate. Thot I can use same speakers to listen to both sounds from say a movie DVD and audio CD. See, I'm really a noob. :(

Maybe I be more specific, in layman's terms of course.... :p

When I watch movie, say 2 fighter jets doing a mid air combat dogfight, I wish to have that experience of listening to the jet roaring from the back of my head and moving to the front, as if I were really there. For audio CD, say of soft rock genre, I wish to be able to hear the "sharp" sound of the guitar and booming bass from the drums, like as if I were in a concert.

Is there a way where I can enjoy the best of both worlds without compromising too much on quality? I think getting 2 separate systems for home theatre and audio may be too much for me.

I think you guys get what I mean. It's like 3D sound for the ears what 3D LED TVs are for the eyes. I know this is impossible with in-built speakers from the TV or mini hifi that I have now. And I've been to my friend's place. His Panasonic 4 speaker so called "home theatre" system ($600 or so) doesn't have that 3D experience. I just don't feel "being there".

I've been to Aldelphi shops years back and remember as I step into it, it sounds like WOW. Like being "physically" hit by the pure sounds. I know super high end system can cost 6 figure. But I'm certainly not looking into that. I just want good entertainment from music and movies. That's why initially, I didn't think my 8k would be a lot.

Btw, you all mentioned the sound will be diff at the shop and say my own home. That I can understand cos of the acoustics of the room is diff. I wish to put the sound system in the living room. Does that mean I need some special fittings to the wall to improve the acoustics?

Ok I've asked too many questions.... A Big Thank You to all of you....

If you spend $50K on the audio system and is hard of hearing, you will not enjoy
because your ear is part of the system. If one part of the cable is loose, you will not enjoy the music. Every part of the whole system including your room must be perfect
to enjoy real music.

Audio systems for music and movies are as different as chalk and cheese. Pure audiophiles will use 2 speaker system for stereo sounstaging etc. Movies with their multiple system is different. If you are not into high end, I will strongly recommend you not to because you will just be walking into a very deep hole. Suddenly, you realize that you do not listen and enjoy music anymore but just to find fault in multi thousand dollars equipments. Just my 2 cents worth as an ex-audiophile.

Well, $8-10K is enough on a decent system for 200sqft +/- room. Many choices these days & since most people are into HT, budget 20% on amp, 20% on front speakers 10% on centre (movie vocal is important) balance split on rears & player. Not forgetting the woofer+cables as well. Curtain & carpets help to control the boom while most brands have a full system speakers & dealers will be glad to match it up for you. Have fun, read up magazines for reviews. It's very addictive :)

Got lah....8-10k budget for a newbie is quite large. Need more homework.

Sheesh, after moving in my new house 1 year later, the system still not set up and Danley DTS-10 sub kit still unassembled in the store room. :sweat:

random thought... how about spending 10k+ for a state of the art camera... haha!

For me, I spent just $690/- for a bose unit consisting of two speakers and a woofer is adequate to provide spatial stereo sound system for 50" TV. Believe it or not just try.

Understandably, most newbies starting on audiophiles will wish to get a system which can do stereo music and multi-channels HT equally well.

Unfortunately, that is tough to do cos the optimal placement for 2 channel stereo speakers is usually quite different compared to multi channels speakers.

If you manage to make friends with some of the audiophiles at echoloft and have a chance to audition their audio system, they will tell you how much time they spend on positioning their speakers and listening position in a dedicated sound room to find out the sweet spot and to optimise the sound of their system. Without proper set up and positioning, it's anybody's guess how the system will sounds in your room, no matter how expensive your system are. Hi-end audiophile system are like high precision tools, they will sounds great when everything snap into focus but can sound miserable otherwise, imagine operating a large aperture lens with a full frame camera...

How 5 to 7 speakers interact in a room is usually very different compare to how 2 speakers interact in a room, thus the optimal positioning for 2 speakers are usually diff to how you can best place your multi channels setup. Thus using HT system to listen to 2 channel CD is almost always a compromise. So the first thing you need to decide is which is more important for you, HT or 2 channels music?

Just go for your first choice and accept the fact that using same setup for other purpose is a compromise. I was once an audiophile for many years, thru the years I managed to assemble a decent setup that I wanted but several years back I need to give up my listening room in order to make room for kids. Since then I have almost gave up the hobby.. the setup are now all cramp in a tiny study room without much space to manuever. End up it sounded so crap that I prefer to listen to my computer speakers and headphones since then.. which cost much less than the cables alone in my proper system.. haha..

As for shops in Adelphi, I think you can try KEC Sound system. IMHO it's a good shop for beginners..

Last edited: