Need beginner's advice on trip to India

:) yar... i usually hang 2 ard my neck.
was trying to read where is TS going to... cant seem to find it... :think:
eehhh..... your setup probably dun suit most ppl other than the most hardcore. I'm looking at your lens setup, do u carry 2 dslr + 2 lens round your neck at the same time for fast street shooting, hence the need for two cam (plus one backup)? for me, i have 1 backup body but that is in the backpack, not carry-around.

ladakh's not as hot as the area that ts's travelling.

actually you can assume that the high altitudes is the exception. he said from south to north.

one wide angle, one short tele? prime when needed?

depends on the place... but usually 35 on one cam and 85 on the other. it's only during landscapes that i use the 12-24. :)

but sometimes i do use 12-24 for street as well... but not very common.
one wide angle, one short tele? prime when needed?

Hi Friend
CArry atleast 30 to 40 rolls of slide film, it is very difficult to get slide films in India, they are very costly, film rolls are available easily, like Fuji crystal 100 and 200 ASA,
Donnot carry too much equipment, a short zoom is OK.

Thanks
alok

Note that if you are going to the TAJ MAHAL, they do not allow you to take in any bags, and definitely no tripods, so be prepared when you go, cos carrying an extra lens is difficult (I think, if I remember correctly), that they let me carry my bumbag in.

For vaccinations, Tan Tock Seng Hospital has an excellent TRAVELERS' HEALTH & VACCINATION CLINIC, L1, 1 Jalan Tan Tock Seng. you can just walk in, and the doctors/nurses there are well versed in travel advise, much better than an average GP. I went there before my recent trip to Africa, and they were so helpful.

Good luck! India's fantastic (heat, crowds, smells notwithstanding).

actually you can assume that the high altitudes is the exception. he said from south to north.

To be exact, I will start;
In Chennai, and then on to Madurai, Bangalore, someplace near Jogfalls(to visit a friend), Mumbai, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi and then Delhi. There were more places, but we managed(me and my friend from Germany(she was overly excited at first and wanted to visit more places)) to cut down and reduce. Mid August to mid September.

I'm still considering whether or not to bring my 24mm and although a telephoto would be useful, I just decided against it because of the weight. Old manual lenses are just too damned heavy. I'm also considering whether to air out my Praktica with it's smaller lenses.

Also with regards to the slide film, 30-40 rolls is a little much imo. I doubt I'll be carrying that much, if any at all. Regardless of how colourful India is, my P&S can capture everything in unbridled over-saturated colours. I prefer to shoot B/W film. Personal choice I guess ;)

To be exact, I will start;
In Chennai, and then on to Madurai, Bangalore, someplace near Jogfalls(to visit a friend), Mumbai, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi and then Delhi. There were more places, but we managed(me and my friend from Germany(she was overly excited at first and wanted to visit more places)) to cut down and reduce. Mid August to mid September.

I'm still considering whether or not to bring my 24mm and although a telephoto would be useful, I just decided against it because of the weight. Old manual lenses are just too damned heavy. I'm also considering whether to air out my Praktica with it's smaller lenses.

Also with regards to the slide film, 30-40 rolls is a little much imo. I doubt I'll be carrying that much, if any at all. Regardless of how colourful India is, my P&S can capture everything in unbridled over-saturated colours. I prefer to shoot B/W film. Personal choice I guess ;)

if u ain't carrying the backpack all the time, and if the backpack is primarily in the hotel, weight is slightly less an issue. u can bring the lens, leave it in hotel, and only bring necessary equipment on your daily outings. i'm also considering 180mm f/2, to replace my 80-200mm f/2.8. i'm thinking of that for distant portrait and to shoot close distance human subjects in dance performance. 80-200mm is good to handle distant landscape where i need to control the composition more, but it is just too heavy every trip i bring it.

going on a trip to rajasthan in a month's time.. feeling pretty excited..
hmm.. planning to bring these along

Mamiya 645afd
2 film backs
80mm
55mm
35mm
a PnS
a light tripod
thinking if i should bring a flash along.. hmmm.. bring everytime nvr use.. LOL

Films:
TriX and HP5
portra 400vc, ektarcolor pro 160
velvia 50 and fortia 50

not sure what films should i bring more of, colour neg or slide or BnW? haha

not sure what films should i bring more of, colour neg or slide or BnW? haha

For me, I'd bring more colour neg and slides, as everything in India is just crying out for COLOUR photos. Shooting B/W in India seems like a bit of a waste... But that's just my personal view :)

On a practical note - please remember to get a VISA before you arrive. Have fun!

For me, I'd bring more colour neg and slides, as everything in India is just crying out for COLOUR photos. Shooting B/W in India seems like a bit of a waste... But that's just my personal view :)

While that may hold true, I take it as a challenge to compose a B/W picture to be as compelling as it would be in colour. But of course I'm not dumping colour entirely, my P&S and iPhone will take care of that.

And there is also a chance a lab will screw up your prints if you shoot negs, while slides are not as cheap as negs are.

Hi
You are carrying too much equipment, please carry
1. Nikon 801
2. 28-70 zoom
3. One Tripod
4. One Flash
5. Light meter (being small)
6. 85 mm lens
7. At least 20 rolls of Slide film
8. Black & White film

and carry a waterproof bag, that is enough.

Thanks
alok:)

i read that foreign travellers are not suppose to carry and rupees in and out of the country. which means its illegal to exchange rupee in singapore and bring into India.

can anyone verfiy this?

http://www.indiamike.com/india/mone...rupee-i-can-bring-for-entry-in-india-t113507/

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

Can't verify if they have ever enforced it, but I have carried rupees into and out of india (Feb 2010) without any issues.

Just came back from my trip..
its full of ups and downs..

missing the trains, and getting really sick... but of course really beautiful forts and palaces..

hmm photographically theres some tips i can provide:

1. travel really light, i realized i brought too much stuff. the hot weather didnt really work out for me.. it got me really tired after a while.... Best will be 1 camera 1 lens

2. India is all about color.. and its really the film set kind of colour.. really interesting..

3. People are very friendly for a photo, approach anyone for a photo, they will be very glad and excited to be shot by you.. Probably except for a few places. but most of the time, people will come up to u to ask you to take a photo of them

4. If shooting film, 120mm is really RARE in india, u cannot find them anywhere except in Delhi, i found a "cathay photo" there, but its like 50% more expensive..

5. For me i didnt have much security problem, streets are generally safe, but chaotic, so just exercise normal common sense on how u keep your stuff, its good enough..

6. internet cafes aplenty, so file transfers into your hdd is no problem at all..

7. place is pretty dusty.. so have a blower and cloth with u...