Nd filter problem

A-tangy

Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

Recently i purchased a b+w nd 110 filter, went out to try it out tdy. However encounter some problem.

First i try using av mode to take a reading then mutiply by 1000 and switch to m mode. However the result is a overexpose image. Any idea what i did wrong thr?? Aperature and iso is contant. I also set to custom white balance.

Also, i try shooting in av with the filter on and somehow it is able to focus and shoot. Is it ok to use av mode with nd filter?

Hope you all could giv some advise. New to nd filter.

Thank you.

Did you take the Av exposure reading before or after you put the ND110 filter on?

For example if the shutter speed is 1/8, i jus use 1/8 * 1000= 125 sec. Did i do it wrongly ??

I meter it before i put the nd filter. I also try metering with the nd filter on and it works too. So wondering which is the right method

For example if the shutter speed is 1/8, i jus use 1/8 * 1000= 125 sec. Did i do it wrongly ??

I meter it before i put the nd filter. I also try metering with the nd filter on and it works too. So wondering which is the right method

yes you can meter and shoot with the ND110 filter on, but it is near opaque, how to compose the shots when the filter is on?

assume you able to meter a scene properly, and make a correct exposure without the filter. with the filter on, it is just cut down 10stops, your calculation is correct, it shouldn't be overexposed.

So now is to check did you take a ND106 instead of ND110 or not, or your camera meter compensation is set to 0EV?

hope this help.

Last edited:

If the correct shutter speed should be 1/8 seconds, then it will be 125 seconds.

Did you test the shot to see if the metering is working as it should before you add the ND filter?

yes you can meter and shoot with the ND110 filter on, but it is near opaque, how to compose the shots when the filter is on?

assume you able to meter a scene properly, and make a correct exposure without the filter. with the filter on, it is just cut down 10stops, your calculation is correct, it shouldn't be overexposed.

So now is to check did you take a ND106 instead of ND110 or not, or your camera meter compensation is set to 0EV?

hope this help.

If the correct shutter speed should be 1/8 seconds, then it will be 125 seconds.

Did you test the shot to see if the metering is working as it should before you add the ND filter?

I'm also guessing that the metering gave a slightly slower shutter speed under low light conditions in Av mode. The metered shutter speed was at 1/8 before applying ND filter.

If there is enough light that even after the ND is put on, you can still meter.. then it is no problem.

One other thing to check, is to check if any of your other auto functions are on, for example, Auto ISO..

Thank for the feedbacks.. I follow ur advise and try it again ytd, ensuring all iso and aperture was kept constant and no exposure compensation is set.

I try using auto white balance and it seem ok. However, once i set it to custom white balance, the overexpose image occur again. Is it my white balance problem??? I read from some site, custom white balance could prevent colour cast thus i took a picture of a white paper and set it.

May i ask what are u trying to take?

Could it be part of that scene u'r taking is originally overblown? Try taking a pic of it w/o de filter n see if it is overblown.

If it is, it will still be overblown even with the filter on. Hope that helps

I try using auto white balance and it seem ok. However, once i set it to custom white balance, the overexpose image occur again. Is it my white balance problem??? I read from some site, custom white balance could prevent colour cast thus i took a picture of a white paper and set it.

Pls post the photos with EXIF intact. It will give a clearer idea of what is going on.