National Coach Salary - $35,000 per mth!!!

Since there is not much demand, why don't we cut the local league then.....

Because of "Singaporepools". it all about money.

Agree.

This is exactly why I correctly predicted the outcome of the Portugal against Spain World Cup match.

The best player in the Portugese team is a star player of a Spanish football club. They pay him a frightening amount of money every week. Now if you are his shoes, will you score against Spain in the World Cup match, that can knock them out of the competition? Of course you don't.
I think your reasoning is a bit off in this case.

Predicting the correct outcome of a match doesn't validate one's assumptions on why the match could be won/lost. Underperformance in a match can be due to so many factors.

I am assuming you are referring to Ronaldo.

Didn't he get Wayne Rooney sent off in the England-Portugal match in WC 2006?
Furthermore, both of them were playing for Man Utd in England. We know how his value rocketed before he left for spain in 2009, and he left even though Man Utd was doing all they could to hold on to him.

Another one of many examples, spain was knocked out by france in WC 2006 after a master class performance from Real Madrid's Zidane, who also scored a goal.

I'm not suggesting that the world of football is totally clean and that no one throws away matches. But linking it to a player's club is a bit too convenient.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just drop soccer completely. We are just not cut out for soccer and wasting time and resources. The money spent could feed a lot of needed people instead.

muvouser said:
Maybe we should just drop soccer completely. We are just not cut out for soccer and wasting time and resources. The money spent could feed a lot of needed people instead.

Along w anything else other than perhaps sailing, weightlifting, swimming and table tennis, badminton? :bsmilie:

Why not just dropped the sports school? How much did the government invested in building that complex in woodlands? Ultimately medals winning sports are still relying on imported foreign talent. Just how many talents have come out from the sports school anyway.

And we can continue to list the a lot others time wasting, resources wasting activities. Lest to say the huge billion dollar 'investment' in overseas.

Nothing in life is for certain. You win some you loose some. There times whereby the resources invested gets returns and there are times you don't.

And all due credit to Raddy. Under him, the Singapore national team did reasonably well. Winning 2 Asean Cup and came very close to qualifying for AFC Asian Cup.

And all due credit to Raddy. Under him, the Singapore national team did reasonably well. Winning 2 Asean Cup and came very close to qualifying for AFC Asian Cup.

Agree 100% here Singapore has done well under this coach.

But this is where the apathy in sports raises its ugly head, with success people expect more and more, but the minute something doesnt happen everyone looks for a scapegoat whom to blame.

Look at Malaysia, Philippines, for years the whipping boys of soccer, but give them credit have turned this around. Granted they have more to choose from, had to rebuild and look at the success they have now.

The players whom didnt preform well only have themselves to blame for this mess, let them suffer, weed out the bad apples, bring back the good and infuse more younger players into the team, yes the next few years will bring pain, but will be worth it.

Dont blame the Coach ....

Cheers ....

The bottom line is you got to deliver!

if singapore can get into the world cup finals, $35k/mth would look like a bargain. :bsmilie:

The bottom line is you got to deliver!

You talking about the Coach or Players ...

Coach, can train instill into them what they need to do, game plan etc before the game.

Players need to follow instructions give and go with the game plan...

Sadly at the Suzuki Cup, the team didnt deliver period, while many players tried, many also let the team down.

Cheers ...

I am not sure how to gauge this salary package.
I know one of my X company director who earning 50K/month (excluding home allowance, 2 kids tuition fee for international school, 4 business classes tickets to Europe "twice a year", car + allowance, yearly bonus "which would be 6~8 months salary").

Do you guys think National coach would agree doing the job at 5K? I think we need to be realistic here (i can tell you there would be number of ppl here who would be getting insane salary, it is only that we don't know about salary of everyone working here).

Hire a singapore end of story. Will you get the same results, that's another story.

Of-course we don't want such ppl who will tell our players that never mind if we miss the event it was not that we were going to win medal (I think the person who said this was local right?).

crappy national results. super poor match turnout...

still say good? hmm.......

just as a comparison,
A foreign coach in Indonesia can get a contract of USD 300k/yr which is around 25K USD/yr almost similar as Raddy gets. So i think it's the market price and we just have to live with it.

Why not just dropped the sports school?

they should convert it to a normal technical school with good sports facilities because all the local sports talented youth are in the elite schools. Just take a look at the results of National School meets for athletic and swimming. Sports School did not shows result.

The one that is well and truly over paid are the Governments themselves. Despite their obscene pay cheque, all they ever come up with are shortcuts to success. All they can ever think of is importing talent.

They keep saying Singapore has no talent and therefore a need to import. Denmark's population stands at 5.5 million which is close to that of Singapore. They are ranked 28 on the FIFA ranking. How is that they can find the talent for their football?

Sports is about grooming and having the necessary infrastructure for athletics to train. We can have world class convention centers but not sporting facility?

Forget about international competition when Singapore cannot compete with the Asia's power house. One classic example is water polo. King of South East Asia but whipping boys in Asia.

The one that is well and truly over paid are the Governments themselves. Despite their obscene pay cheque, all they ever come up with are shortcuts to success. All they can ever think of is importing talent.

They keep saying Singapore has no talent and therefore a need to import. Denmark's population stands at 5.5 million which is close to that of Singapore. They are ranked 28 on the FIFA ranking. How is that they can find the talent for their football?

Sports is about grooming and having the necessary infrastructure for athletics to train. We can have world class convention centers but not sporting facility?

Forget about international competition when Singapore cannot compete with the Asia's power house. One classic example is water polo. King of South East Asia but whipping boys in Asia.
:thumbsup: this.

But part of this whole issue is how our society perceives the hierarchy of careers. I don't know what that is caused by, but people generally think that certain occupations, like sports, are just ranked lower, so only stupid people who can't make it in life should do sports. Look at our YOG team, they did pretty well, but what's gonna happen after university is that they are going to get a "proper job"...

How much did Singapore donate to the India flood? 20K?