My scammed experience in BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS @Funan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflyzhu

Oct 18, 2010
I want to post my terrible shopping experience in BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD at #02-03B Funan today, and I hope everyone saw this post and never experience the same terrible things as I do today.

Not ever buy anything from this scamming shop. I will talk from the beginning.

I thought funan is much safer than sim lim, and I do not have a lot of experience of buying DSLR. This is the reason why I chose funan to buy my Canon 60D with 18-200mm lens kit. I asked several shops which provided very close prices at around 2040 or 2050. But, when I enquire the price of this kit in this shop BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD, the sales offered S$1970.

I double confirmed with him the price. He insisted that the price for the kit is S$1970. So I decided to buy the camera in this shop.

This is the beginning of the nightmare. This sales also highly recommended a UV filter (HOYA 62mm) to me and asked for S$50. I thought that they are selling the kit so cheap, and they should sell accessory cheap as well. So I agreed.

Then, they asked me to pay the money total S$2020 first, then they will give me the camera. I was so naïve and paid the money and sit there to wait the camera as an idiot. Then, suddenly I saw the lens brand was not Canon but a very strange brand that I have never saw.

I suddenly realized I was scammed. I asked them to give me the original Canon lens, they rejected and said only if I pay S$398 more, then I could get the original kit with Canon lens. I always talked with them in a very kind tone, but the sales was very rude. He put everything into a plastic bag and throw it out of his store and asked me to go.

I had no choice and called the police.

When I was waiting outside of the store, another sales said he is the manager of the shop and want to help me to solve the problem. I agreed. He asked me to top up S$350, I disagreed, then S$250, I disagreed. Then he asked what my opinion is. I said I want the kit at S$2050. This is the most regretted decision I have made today, if I insisted to refund until the police coming, I will not be scammed twice by this scamming shop today. Then he said ok but the UV filter has to be S$50, so the total amount is S$2100. I agreed….

Then, the police came, because I agreed the deal, the talking with police was quite smooth. I paid S$80 more and got everything home. When I try to put the UV filter on the lens, I suddenly found the lens size is 72mm, but the UV filter size is 62mm. I called the manager, his tone completely changed and said he did not know my lens (18-200mm)’s size is 72mm and refused to exchange a 72mm UV filter for me. I said it was their mistake to give me a wrong size UV filter then, he said only I top up S$35 more then he will exchange my 62mm UV filter to 72mm.

In short, he is selling a HOYA 72mm UV filter at S$85 to me. I checked the price on internet, I found a brand new HOYA 72mm UV filter is worth at about S$35... Now, I am still holding the 62mm UV filter that cannot be used on my camera. I do not know what to do next, I really angry with such scams and cheating customer behaviors. I have been really terrible experience today.

I hope everyone seeing this post will not buy anything from BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD and not ever have the same terrible shopping experience as I had today. Thank you for watching.

Last edited:
it's your very 1st post and you are telling that you got scammed? oh dear:what: since you don't have a lot of experience to buy DSLR, you could have got an experienced friend to tag along.

that's a hard and painful way to buy a DSLR.

it is really painful, I do not have a lot of friends playing DSLR, so I hope I can know a lot of new friends here....
it's your very 1st post and you are telling that you got scammed? oh dear:what: since you don't have a lot of experience to buy DSLR, you could have got an experienced friend to tag along.

Well u can sell the filter at bns section. Thanks for the sharing

bally got quite a bad reputation all along... u r not the first to complain bout them

i regreted that i did not come here to ask for advises first....
bally got quite a bad reputation all along... u r not the first to complain bout them

I want to post my terrible shopping experience in BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD at #02-03B Funan today, and I hope everyone saw this post and never experience the same terrible things as I do today. Not ever buy anything from this scamming shop. I will talk from the beginning. I thought funan is much safer than sim lim, and I do not have a lot of experience of buying DSLR. This is the reason why I chose funan to buy my Canon 60D with 18-200mm lens kit. I asked several shops which provided very close prices at around 2040 or 2050. But, when I enquire the price of this kit in this shop BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD, the sales offered S$1970. I double confirmed with him the price. He insisted that the price for the kit is S$1970. So I decided to buy the camera in this shop. This is the beginning of the nightmare. This sales also highly recommended a UV filter (HOYA 62mm) to me and asked for S$50. I thought that they are selling the kit so cheap, and they should sell accessory cheap as well. So I agreed. Then, they asked me to pay the money total S$2020 first, then they will give me the camera. I was so naïve and paid the money and sit there to wait the camera as an idiot. Then, suddenly I saw the lens brand was not Canon but a very strange brand that I have never saw. I suddenly realized I was scammed. I asked them to give me the original Canon lens, they rejected and said only if I pay S$398 more, then I could get the original kit with Canon lens. I always talked with them in a very kind tone, but the sales was very rude. He put everything into a plastic bag and throw it out of his store and asked me to go. I had no choice and called the police. When I was waiting outside of the store, another sales said he is the manager of the shop and want to help me to solve the problem. I agreed. He asked me to top up S$350, I disagreed, then S$250, I disagreed. Then he asked what my opinion is. I said I want the kit at S$2050. This is the most regretted decision I have made today, if I insisted to refund until the police coming, I will not be scammed twice by this scamming shop today. Then he said ok but the UV filter has to be S$50, so the total amount is S$2100. I agreed…. Then, the police came, because I agreed the deal, the talking with police was quite smooth. I paid S$80 more and got everything home. When I try to put the UV filter on the lens, I suddenly found the lens size is 72mm, but the UV filter size is 62mm. I called the manager, his tone completely changed and said he did not know my lens (18-200mm)’s size is 72mm and refused to exchange a 72mm UV filter for me. I said it was their mistake to give me a wrong size UV filter then, he said only I top up S$35 more then he will exchange my 62mm UV filter to 72mm. In short, he is selling a HOYA 72mm UV filter at S$85 to me. I checked the price on internet, I found a brand new HOYA 72mm UV filter is worth at about S$35... Now, I am still holding the 62mm UV filter that cannot be used on my camera. I do not know what to do next, I really angry with such scams and cheating customer behaviors. I have been really terrible experience today. I hope everyone seeing this post will not buy anything from BALLY PHOTO ELECTRONICS PET LTD and not ever have the same terrible shopping experience as I had today. Thank you for watching.

My sympathies to you. I had a bad experience there but nowhere as bad as yours. They've always had a hard-selling tactic which annoys me. I bought a digital camera from them and was talked into buying it when it was expensive and overrated. I reckon its my fault for not researching. Hope you learn from your experience as well.

You can sell the 62 mm UV filter to me, nevertheless. ;)

sad to hear that.
Bally's is notourious!!
Anyway, given the bad experience, at least your kit cost you $2050 which was what other shops were selling.
and depending on the series of the hoya filter, it can cost up to $50 or more (but my guess is, it should be the cheapest series), therefore you probably lost about $20-$30.

Take this as a lesson, and do more research before you make any future purchase.
now move on,and enjoy the camera and start making good photos! :D

i hope ppl all know that is a scamming store and not been scammed by them anymore,
the 62 mm UV filter, how much you want to offer?
My sympathies to you. I had a bad experience there but nowhere as bad as yours. They've always had a hard-selling tactic which annoys me. I bought a digital camera from them and was talked into buying it when it was expensive and overrated. I reckon its my fault for not researching. Hope you learn from your experience as well.

You can sell the 62 mm UV filter to me, nevertheless. ;)

thank you bro, i feel so warm with all these supports.
sad to hear that.
Bally's is notourious!!
Anyway, given the bad experience, at least your kit cost you $2050 which was what other shops were selling.
and depending on the series of the hoya filter, it can cost up to $50 or more (but my guess is, it should be the cheapest series), therefore you probably lost about $20-$30.

Take this as a lesson, and do more research before you make any future purchase.
now move on,and enjoy the camera and start making good photos! :D

i regreted that i did not come here to ask for advises first....

take it as a lesson my friend :)

for future purchasing of camera equipment, u can check out the price guides in this sub-forum here:

Price Guides

or ask any1 for advice here on where to purchase cheaper stuff without gettin conned.
btw the stores listed in the price guides r trusted shops, but it wuld still be better to check the current pricing of such stuff as the prices change often.

for now, enjoy ur newly purchased equipment n start making great photos!

Whats the weird lens brand name that you never seen before?
I don't think Vitacon started producing lens, if such, then the world is ending..

Really feel your pain, unfortunately these places still survive cos they can ketok tourists. Hope u read the forum more to better understand photography n equipment....

thank you bro, i will

take it as a lesson my friend :)

for future purchasing of camera equipment, u can check out the price guides in this sub-forum here:

Price Guides

or ask any1 for advice here on where to purchase cheaper stuff without gettin conned.
btw the stores listed in the price guides r trusted shops, but it wuld still be better to check the current pricing of such stuff as the prices change often.

for now, enjoy ur newly purchased equipment n start making great photos!

bro dont need to add oil to the fire....TS-sorry to hear about that, i guess all of us learn the hard way, and we do get wiser :)

i think it's really good that u called the police..at least shows bally photo that this what consumers are prepared to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.