My Personal Crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you quit being a nuisance and MYOB?

nightbreed said:
I am SO sorry to have to edit your post, Gadrian, but those of us who are fighting the good fight must be ourselves as pure as we can be. :) And whether it be American or British spelling, there is still the CORRECT forms of spelling. :)

Edited:
...of the decapitation of the English language...
...known to Mankind...
...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh...
...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question.
...Is what we hear on the television...
...By what standard do you judge...
...Which is proper and which is accurate?
...sacreligious corruption...
...sleepless nights and many many cups...

Thank you.

...of the decapitation of the English language... - I will use a spell-checker the next time.
...known to Mankind...
...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh... - there is nothing wrong in the original spate of Cornish and Welsh. the preceeding statement already qualifies influences.
...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question. - It was meant as a question.. not as a statement. You often need to understand the objective of the sentence before saying if it is right or wrong.

...Is what we hear on the television...
...By what standard do you judge... - sorry, that was a typing error.
...Which is proper and which is accurate?
...sacreligious corruption... -> please check your dictionary.. orginal spelling is correct.
...sleepless nights and many many cups... the comma was meant as a stress point. removing it adds less emphasis on sleepness nights.

nightbreed said:
I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

Edited:
I am embarking on a Crusade to rid every forum in which I have registered of badly-written and badly-punctuated English. Although I am neither the most qualified person nor an authority on the English language to do this, I recognise bad English when I see it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

Edited:
I will continue to do so despite any criticism, ostracism or threats of physical violence directed at me. I will endeavour to enlighten this "Dark Age of English Language Usage". I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

Edited:
How will I do this? I will re-write any text that is written in bad English and re-post the corrected version in the forum. I may not be able to correct every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent or omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

Edited:
I am doing this because the blatant and daily abuse of the English language, especially in the local internet forums, has spread its insidious influence into the writing of English in everyday and commonplace situations.

So, take this message in whatever way you like. I make my stand here, and I urge like-minded people to take up arms and join me!

mervlam said:
Why don't you quit being a nuisance and MYOB?
What is a MYOB? :embrass:

Hey...since we are talking abt "crusades"...how about a crusade against acronyms? For e.g "My 20 MP DSLR's DOF using the WA lens with i-TTL flash with CLS is better than your P&S cam with TCs with its small FOV and dim EVF." Show that to any layman and chances are he'll end up scratching his head. :bsmilie:

So the corrected version would be, "My 20 Mega Pixel Digital Single lens Reflex camera 's Depth of Field using the Wide Angle lens with intelligent Through The Lens flash with Creative Lighting System is better than your Point & Shoot cam with Tele Converters with its small Field of View and dim Electronic Viewfinder". :D

Garion said:
What is a MYOB? :embrass:

Hey...since we are talking abt "crusades"...how about a crusade against acronyms? For e.g "My 20 MP DSLR's DOF using the WA lens with i-TTL flash with CLS is better than your P&S cam with TCs with its small FOV and dim EVF." Show that to any layman and chances are he'll end up scratching his head. :bsmilie:

So the corrected version would be, "My 20 Mega Pixel Digital Single lens Reflex camera 's Depth of Field using the Wide Angle lens with intelligent Through The Lens flash with Creative Lighting System is better than your Point & Shoot cam with Tele Converters with its small Field of View and dim Electronic Viewfinder". :D

MYOB = mind your own business!!!

Garion said:

Edited:

"My 20-megapixel digital single-lens reflex camera's depth of field, using the wide-angle lens with intelligent "Through The Lens" flash and "Creative Lighting System" is better than your Point-and-Shoot camera with tele-converters, dim electronic viewfinder, and its small field of view.

PS: this paragraph doesn't make sense, how to compare wide with tele? :bsmilie:

Nightbreed

I suggest that you stop being a nuisance before somebody reports your
post(s) to the moderators for "public harassment".

nightbreed said:
I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

Lighten up pple ;)
From what he wrote, this is clearly just some bo liao jokes that he thought up, maybe because of too much free time. No harm intended, no personal attack and peppered with humour here and there.
If you feel offended by him correcting your post or whatsoever, just PM him not to do that again. from past postings he seems to be a nice and reasonable person and all. Let's keep CS a warm and friendly place yah :lovegrin:

Cheers

Please do not misuse the word "Crusade". It is really a very politically incorrect and discriminating term.

nightbreed, you as a relative newbie, IMHO, pls learn to keep your head down and learn more abt the rules of posting. posting demeaning comments of CSers' use of the English language will only invite flaming and condemnation from the seniors and pros out there.

i'm a relative newbie, like you. i spent a lot of time observing how to seniors posted b4 even venturing to make my 1st post. so, do learn and not to make too much "enemies" out there? else you might not have too many CSers who are willing to give constructive comments to your pics or to be your shoot-buddy. ;)

Prismatic said:
Please do not misuse the word "Crusade". It is really a very politically incorrect and discriminating term.

I dont think it is.. used in a certain context it can mean more of a personal challenge then other things.. but with more impact to its outcome. I think we are all being too sensitive here..

Well, I don't really want to care too much about what others write, but I was taught good English (not exactly Queen's English, but good enough) and I intend to use that, even in SMS.

It is strange that Nightbreed is considered a nuisance when he is pointing out something that is so relevant, prevalent and true, but we allow endless debates of film vs. digital, Canon vs. Nikon, etc.

nightbreed said:

What a load of bollocks...

Is it a really big deal of not writing "proper" english on a forum? :dunno:
I think it helps make the discussions more friendly and lively.

Status
Not open for further replies.