My doubts. - Canon, Nikon, Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway if Sony is cheap and good why everyone is still going for Nikon and Canon?

It's more of a brand name thing than anything. If you can see beyond that brand name problem, you'll see that other manufacturers (Sony, Pentax, Olympus) offer far more value for your $$$ than C/N in the entry segment.

After ppl are committed into one brand, they tend to defend their brands with stuff like larger lens collection, more 3rd party accessories...Whether they are valid points to make your purchase decision, it's really up to you. Personally I never have any problem related to those. You'll never need to have all the lenses in the world.

If you don't like the A230/330 grip, there's always a Pentax K-m. Check out its spec and compared to C/N offerings at same price, you'll be amazed.

It is not that N or C are overpriced. It is that all prices for DSLR have come down a lot since 5 years ago. Brands like Sony, a big corporation with a lot of muscle, is trying to gain a foothold (market share) in this industry, and they chose to compete aggressively in the entry-level DSLR market but pricing their products substantially lower than their competitors' offering.

N and C will always have their supporters. Why? Because it is shown that once users start buying lenses and accessories, switching costs will be high for DSLR systems. So the tendency is to stay within a system. And with a lot of professionals in publication, news, sports and adventure industries deeply entrenched in N and C systems, they will always be popular due to recognition. Why? because the top range of N and C are just that good and if you have a wide user base in the top target segments, it is easier to make top-end products and sell them well.

Each system has its pros and cons. Canon has very aggressive lens line up and N is very backward compatible and has tons of legacy lenses that can be used since the 70s. Sony and Pentax are actually pretty good with in-body stabilization and value for money. Olympus is famous for their very good color reproduction, dust management, and its incredible and unbelievable weather sealing (E-3).

In the end all systems are capable of producing exceptional pictures, and give your skills enough room to grow for a long long time. I would say the camera systems are not a limiting factor in you making good pictures. In the end, the limiting factor is your skill level. So it is up to you to go try them out and see what you like most. Buy with confidence.

Last edited:
It is not that N or C are overpriced. It is that all prices for DSLR have come down a lot since 5 years ago. Brands like Sony, a big corporation with a lot of muscle, is trying to gain a foothold (market share) in this industry, and they chose to compete aggressively in the entry-level DSLR market but pricing their products substantially lower than their competitors' offering.

N and C will always have their supporters. Why? Because it is shown that once users start buying lenses and accessories, switching costs will be high for DSLR systems. So the tendency is to stay within a system. And with a lot of professionals in publication, news, sports and adventure industries deeply entrenched in N and C systems, they will always be popular due to recognition. Why? because the top range of N and C are just that good and if you have a wide user base in the top target segments, it is easier to make top-end products and sell them well.

Each system has its pros and cons. Canon has very aggressive lens line up and N is very backward compatible and has tons of legacy lenses that can be used since the 70s. Sony and Pentax are actually pretty good with in-body stabilization and value for money. Olympus is famous for their very good color reproduction, dust management, and its incredible and unbelievable weather sealing (E-3).

In the end all systems are capable of producing exceptional pictures, and give your skills enough room to grow for a long long time. I would say the camera systems are not a limiting factor in you making good pictures. In the end, the limiting factor is your skill level. So it is up to you to go try them out and see what you like most. Buy with confidence.

Thank you :) So i would assume that all 4 Cam does not make a big difference. So i should now decide if i should get live view and which look best for me ? :)

Thank you :) So i would assume that all 4 Cam does not make a big difference. So i should now decide if i should get live view and which look best for me ? :)

All the systems have differences. You have to eliminate systems with cons you cannot live with and also shortlist those with pros you just have to have. So you have to try them out to know. But in the end all the pros are good to have, and all the cons can be worked around.

The key is your technical skill, know-how and your (artistic) eye. The part of the camera that matters most is the 12 inches behind it, says Ansel Adams. ;)

Last edited:
omg can't believe their a230 cost 699...

very competitive pricing i must say....
extremely competitive ..

50% lighting, 40% photographer, 10% gear.

Agree that the one behind the camera matters much more than the camera itself. Thou if you want to spend more for a less capable machine, it's really your choice :)

Seriously consider Pentax as well.

No A330 doesn't have video function, nor any other Sony models for that matters. If you want video, you can leave out Sony. Thou, think twice before consider video function as a purchase decision.

No A330 doesn't have video function, nor any other Sony models for that matters. If you want video, you can leave out Sony. Thou, think twice before consider video function as a purchase decision.

Yea. Thx. Anyway i went to look at a video taken by canon 500d and had decided to forget about video function for dslr. So now i think i would go to the shop & decide between Nikon D3000 , canon 1000D , Sony a330.

To all who had contributed. Thanks :D

And the only reason the sony is so cheap now is because sony just dropped the price. One month ago, the sony a230 was a good $200 dearer than it is now. Really aggressive pricing on sony side for the recent few models. Lens selection for sony is also growing in the right direction with the new 50/1.8 and 30 macro.

As for whether canon and nikon is overpriced, that will depend on how you look at the whole system cost.

Maybe over priced is a wrong word to use. Canon and nikon are the market leaders, their price are rightfully the market price.

Its just Sony under pricing their dslr.

How many battery do you guys use for like 12 hours of shooting(1min per shot)? with live view + looking back at pictures , playing with functions.

How many battery do you guys use for like 12 hours of shooting(1min per shot)? with live view + looking back at pictures , playing with functions.

I load 2 batts into my vertical grip. 12 hrs will probably use up 1 full batt and about 50% of the other. But I use the A700, no Live-view. 1500 shots approx.

Omg how can it be! Sony is much cheaper !!!

coz sony fired their ergonomics department and make cameras that fit into the hands of elves...

ahahah
jokes aside,
go to a shop, try camears, whatever feels best, get it
THEY ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH THE SAME NOWADAYS

:D:D:D

My D3000 lasted 200 shots the first time, but that was with playing with every darn setting possible, etc.

CIPA rated for 550 shots.

Maybe over priced is a wrong word to use. Canon and nikon are the market leaders, their price are rightfully the market price.

Its just Sony under pricing their dslr.

Then how's about Pentax, Olympus? They're hardly a big company like Sony.

If you find value in the brand name itself then probably Canon and Nikon are not overpriced.

Using live view and constantly reviewing your shots can kill any battery quickly. You may want to re-adjust your shooting style, or use the viewfinder more.

Then how's about Pentax, Olympus? They're hardly a big company like Sony.

If you find value in the brand name itself then probably Canon and Nikon are not overpriced.

yup Olympus and especially Pentax falls under the value for money category together with Sony. So i usually recommend people on a budget to get either Sony or Pentax (olympus slightly not as value as pentax and sony).

So if Canon and Nikon are the "normal price", then the 3 of them are under priced in that sense.

I dont go for brand name. I look at the camera itself.

Last edited:
Sorry to disturb everyone! I know i'm a irritating noob =X
Someone told me in previous thread that there is cheaper camera. He said Nikon and canon are just a bit too over priced. I did some research and realise that sony was seriously cheaper o.o! I look into it's specification but dont see the difference .... i dont understand a lot of its function and what it does so cant compare.

1) My Budget $1000.(Try to save if possible. I want to shoot during events and outings so i should be using it at least once every week.)
2)What is the difference between Nikon D3000, D60, Canon D1000 To Sony A230It is almost $300 difference but the specification doesn't show. Anyway if Sony is cheap and good why everyone is still going for Nikon and Canon?
Personally i like how Nikon look.

personally i think the $699 is a decent deal... if i were in your shoes, i'll just grab it (if price is an impt factor) and thrash it around. it's good enough for events and outings... plus with a $1k budget, u need to consider getting a speedlight (impt for events) which prob sets u back around $300+. so the a230 + flash (and perhaps some memory card, bag, filter etc) will prob fit ur budget just nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.