My 36 exposures review of the Pentax-08 Wide Zoom Lens for Pentax Q7

3.8mm, 15s, f5.6, iso 100

Because it's so small, I could literally placed the camera and lens on the rails (on the bridge) taking this picture as I don't have any tripods or any multi/super clamp with me at the time.

Last edited:
nice review, very impressive results from such a small camera!

nice review, very impressive results from such a small camera!
Thanks HellFire88 for popping in.

3.8mm, 20s-30s, f4-5.6, iso 100, Built-in ND, ND 0.9 Filter, Cropped 16:9, 4 images stitched with Hugin, Nodal Ninja 3 as panoramic head.

Finally, some sunrise ...

3.8mm, 3 - 10s, iso 100, ND 1.8 Filter, Cropped 6:4, 4 images stitched within Hugin, Nodal Ninja 3 as panoramic head

Last edited:

3.8mm, iso 100, ND filter, 2 image stitched in Hugin

Last edited:
Sorry guys, unfortunately, I cannot finish the 36 exposures. The recent weather did not help my cause.

Thanks, APDS again for loaning this lens for this review.

Again, I felt to do a lens review is to come up with the images it can make.

11793671254_af5a7d2934_c.jpg

Conclusion
This is a very niche product. Most decidedly ignored this offering from Pentax quoting its sensor size etc. Some will argue that what's the point of having a inter-changable lens system for such a compact.

Having been using this compact for a large part of my Italy trip (images not in this review), I love it for its compactness, and it also helps in all the other photographic accessories that I have to bring along. I can carry it in a small travel bag together with my smaller size tripod and It doesn't attract attention with most thinking that it's just another compact camera.

But the lack of a wide angle lens meant that I have to carry something else in my bag. This can potentially be solved with the 08 zoom.

One cannot ignore the fun factor when you carry along this camera. This is probably the smallest wide angle lens made for compacts (that I know). It doesn't even extend much when zooming to its widest angle, contributing to its tiny size. I hope the images showed what it can do! Thanks for viewing this thread!

Last edited:
Impressive stuff said in 18000 words since each pict is worth a thousand. ;)

Thanks, JK, the lens and camera combi is so good, I cannot resist but buy the lens after the price stablised a bit on the Japanese Market. Unfortunately, APDS does not seem to favour bringing in this lens. So I can't get a local warranty one.

Anyways ... This also meant I can try to finish up the 36 exposures.

#19 - Aspiring Artists

# 20 - Make it 2 "mickey mouse" cams.

# 21 - "Chomp Chomp Chomp"

# 22 - Guess who's real

IMHO, It's almost a Fuji Klasse W, or a GR21, with a in-built photo lab scanner. Yes, you lose the DOF, but some of these street type shots don't necessary require the DOF. And afterwards, just use your NIK or whatever software to process your images.

Great inconspicuous setup.

# 23 - Better Hurry up

# 24 - Doll up

# 25 - Pentaxian Spotted

You finally d the 36 frames :)

The pano shots are really good!

If you are able to share the gear setup, it would be great! Thanks in advance.

You finally d the 36 frames :)
Attempting to. Haven't reach. ;-)

The pano shots are really good!

If you are able to share the gear setup, it would be great! Thanks in advance.
Will take photo of it soon. It's just a small tripod. with a Nodal Ninja 3. Small camera deserves the smallest pano kit as well.

Another shot at about 5.5mm (or 25mm), however, this is processed with a preset in Nik Software getting us the Ilford Delta 100 Pro feel.

It's like shooting film, and scanned straight away! Shiok, and fun.

This setup is almost always great for B&W! Shot at it's widest focal length 3.8mm (i.e. 17.5mm).

Attempting to. Haven't reach. ;-)

It's like shooting film, and scanned straight away! Shiok, and fun.

Nice high contrast works!

Nice high contrast works!

Just fooling around with the camera's monochrome mode.

#28 - Long exposure (30s only though without NR), ND (6 stops), Lowered Saturation

15300969710_d21485392b_c.jpg

#29 - Just outside my house window using a Feisol Horizontal Adapter to extend the camera out, 1 row Pano at the tele-end of the Wide angle lens.

Last edited:
Finally to complete the review, and no better time to buy this lens and the camera! Couple of shots to show its prowess as a wide angle snap shot lens!

#30 - The light at the top (tip of the frame), and the highlights on the Singapore River leading to the Fullerton.

16218039016_b89db346b5_c.jpg

#31 - The sun burst from the 08 lens is quite interesting which would aid in your street shots too!

15624470764_264758b469_c.jpg

#32 - It's not difficult to frame your shots too with a wide angle lens!

16077244950_c62e078f41_c.jpg

#33 - Another 2 row Pano with the 08 Zoom at its widest end.

16295885182_75078d9ee7_c.jpg

#34 - Surprisingly, the colors out of the Q7+08 combo is pleasantly accurate for twilight sunrise. Take not that it's a blended shot, 1 exposure for the Merlion, and 1 exposure for everything else.

16119131898_cc668d69e5_c.jpg

#35 - 17.5 - 18mm isn't exactly wide enough to capture the building on the right. I don't have my multi-row pano head, so this will do.

16307544835_f50f98993e_c.jpg

Finally closing out the review with this shot ...

16130678978_a630b97084_c.jpg

Feel free to visit my 08 zoom set or the Pentax Q Set in Flickr (will keep increasing over time).