Motivation(s)....

Hi,

I am not a true follower that money is the ultimate driving force.

Here is the scenario...

When you don't have any money, making something makes you happy
However, once you have achieve reasonable comfortable living (not rich), money doesn't seems to be the real motivation.

Its perhaps Law of Diminishing Interest apply here...

Money perhaps is the true end results that many is looking for...

Put it this way... in my opinion, if a client come and see me and I just don't see the connection between me and them... I would probably not going to push myself hard enough to "sell" my service. Yes, it is still money involve and I do understand what clients pay put food on the table, but satisfaction is not always equal to money.

Ego is a very temporary driving force and sometimes it is harder to balance between that thin line.

In business, I am a firm believer of less ego, more educations and more on honesty will drive the business into a successful one.

Sure, if you want to use Ego as an example on how much you "value" your business and what sort of level that your "brand" has established, I can accept that.

I believe some of your might have heard about "Dream Book". Dream book could be actual or mental notes on what your dream or dreams really is...

Something that is quantifiable is a lot easier to chase...

Not many will put $1m cash in bank as their dream, if you are honest to yourself... what does that really a motivation?

However, if you put something like... A 2 storey villa with nice roof top with garden and swimming pool will be something that is concrete enough to go for it... Money is in the equation as always but not the absolute driving force...

The ego of living in this house is probably not the driving force either... but the feeling of living in your dream home and the comfort do drive people further.

I hope it makes some sense?

Regards,

Hart

:thumbsup: Agreed

Money perhaps is the true end results that many is looking for...

Ego is a very temporary driving force and sometimes it is harder to balance between that thin line.

In business, I am a firm believer of less ego, more educations and more on honesty will drive the business into a successful one.

... Money is in the equation as always but not the absolute driving force...

Regards,

Hart

Money is a yardstick, a ruler to measure one's success and achievements. My definition, a 6” ruler for small success and a pullout measuring tape for big achievements.

The driving force is ego and the distant travelled is ego-driven. The destination and achievement can be measured, failures too.

If we want to be philosophical about it, it’s “super-ego” at play. It’s not a bad thing, it’s a different way to rationalise or understand the drive. What drives us?

Hi,

Ok... What you are saying is Ego = motivation.

My purpose of this thread is to find out the "REAL" motivation or Ego so to speak that drive people...

Money is part of the measurement of success... not a whole.

Branding to me is a better measurement of success... without it, jobs won't walking through the door and emails don't get filled up or phone start ringing...

As always said, if you think again... I think Money is the last part of equation which is a result of the branding.

Maybe I re-word it a little...
When you set up a company, you know with business, you get the money... that is common sense.

However, when dealing with difficult clients, managing the stress of going for market penetration, bla bla bla... what motivates you to go through them all?

Is it the activity of running the a successful business that results in money in the bank? or something else?

I am looking to find out that part...

What I hope to achieve with this thread is to really make people aware that, running a successfull business, you do need a concrete motivation (physcology side) to go through all that.

Regards,

Hart

Hi,

Ok... What you are saying is Ego = motivation.

My purpose of this thread is to find out the "REAL" motivation or Ego so to speak that drive people...

Money is part of the measurement of success... not a whole.

Branding to me is a better measurement of success... without it, jobs won't walking through the door and emails don't get filled up or phone start ringing...

As always said, if you think again... I think Money is the last part of equation which is a result of the branding.

Maybe I re-word it a little...
When you set up a company, you know with business, you get the money... that is common sense.

However, when dealing with difficult clients, managing the stress of going for market penetration, bla bla bla... what motivates you to go through them all?

Is it the activity of running the a successful business that results in money in the bank? or something else?

I am looking to find out that part...

What I hope to achieve with this thread is to really make people aware that, running a successfull business, you do need a concrete motivation (physcology side) to go through all that.

Regards,

Hart

Motivation(s) is a big word, ego is a small word within the “big word”. If motivation were the engine, ego would/can be “the wheels”.
Using a small word like ego maybe over simplifying this argument. If you look or analyse “what drives us?”, you’ll find ego at work or play.

Yes, branding is measurable. Branding, marketing, including difficult customers are pit stops in the journey. What and where is the destination?
I'm not being philosophical, but there’s a vision or philosophy(big picture, fuzzy, hard to understand) behind every creators, entrepreneurs, etc,. We just interpret them differently.

Let's catch up for coffee when you are back.

So what you are saying Ego is the part of the motivation then?

Ego is physcological factor which is important I suppose.

I still have miles to learn from Veteran entreprenuer like yourself... :sweat:

I would love to catch up... my schedule might not allow it to happen, since I will be away for 3 weeks, my bookings are pile up so would have to clear them off before the busy season starts again in August.

Hart

So what you are saying Ego is the part of the motivation then?

Ego is physcological factor which is important I suppose.

I still have miles to learn from Veteran entreprenuer like yourself... :sweat:

I would love to catch up... my schedule might not allow it to happen, since I will be away for 3 weeks, my bookings are pile up so would have to clear them off before the busy season starts again in August.

Hart

Ego has and always been the main driver in motivation. It’s good to understand and tame this beast, that’s super-ego. Another relevant issue, when you do well.
When a stupid or intelligent idea like "I can make money with photography" comes to mind, our ego is at play. When “I do it” with all the advices, facts, and numbers analysed, the ego goes to work.
Understand a bit of psychoanalysis can help us to understand self and others. Why we do it? Can also helps in the “how we do it”.

It’s easy to see others, but not self. My postings is also a reminder for myself.
All of us have “the big picture”, a philosophy. But failed in the details and action.

the desire to work to leave a mark and when you look back, see your art in a retrospective context. When I die, there is something to look back into, to remember me by.

My motivation at each job is simple. To at least give others what I wish for mine.

the desire to work to leave a mark and when you look back, see your art in a retrospective context. When I die, there is something to look back into, to remember me by.

if your boy don't like the PS stuffs..please will them to me k...But i'll remember u regardless

Thanks Hori.

I suppose, the joy of running a business could be a source of motivation for some...

I must admit, being motivate running a business is very very challenging being faced with different type of clients everyday. Of course, the motivation of mine is to always get a booking by changing my ways to serve all my potential clients.

Part of my motivation is to make sure that I live my dream.

:)

That's for photography as a business. Photography as a passion, for me, is about making the picture that I have envisioned prior to clicking the shutter. If the final picture comes out the way I visualise it, I'm very satisfied.

In addition, I am into landscape and city photography, so the extra attention, focus and awareness when you view everything through the lens' eye makes me feel more attuned to the surroundings and environment. That feeling is tremendous.

I think most motivations behind waking up early in the morning to work as a photographer can be categorised generally in the following:

1) higher quality of lifestyle - some dream of the cars they drive when they strike it rich in this line. some dream of the houses or even the lifestyle of partying with the rich and famous.

2) conviction - some are convicted that this is the path to further a cause that they stand for or that is the path to take due to past failures/experience (poverty)

3) fear - some simply wake up and do the work they are required to do because of fear that if they dun do so, the money will come in or they have too many dependents to feed

4) to leave a legacy - some are truly commited to the art and want to leave a legacy behind that is worth more than what they can earn, to leave a place in the history of photography, etc

My opinion is that the strength of the motivation (whichever it may be) determines the readiness of the photographer to perfect his/her art and the way he/she deal with the work.

I am not yet a professional but my motivations for my aspiration to be one is a combination of (1) and (2).:)

What's yours?

all motivation(s) is a subset of $. Thanks for the chuckle

My motivation is just being able to capture the moments. Be it candid, or a photoshoot. Getting smiles and laughter when sharing the pictures with the "clients" really brightens my day.

It makes me feel as though the world isn't always filled with sadness or anger. :bsmilie:

Interesting discussion going on here.

For me, photography has been a form of escapade for me even when i was young. I find personal space to reflect and remotivate myself in things I do in life. During my pursuit for career growth and wealth, I lost sight of photography due to the lack of time and personal space.

That space of time in pursuit of wealth and success nearly kill the meaning of life in me. As such, I gave up everything and picked up my the camera and looked at photography as a balance to making a living and enjoy living. Soon, the reality of running a photography business did not really create the balance I was seeking. Business was good from the commercial perspective as there was regular flow of earnings from interiors, advertorial and lifestyle photography. It was the hassle of negotiation (being a sales animal, I am managed to get things my way most of the time) and turning photography from an perspective of art enjoyment into a form of commodity transaction that started to drain me.

After 6 years of struggling, I went back to the corporate world. I took a more low profile position but still give me the perks to work freely from where I want and when I want. The free time in between allows me to take on additional assignments that came from ex-clients referral and request. I select those I like so that I can creatively decide how I want to shoot them. Lifestyle photography is the most rewarding as they involve capturing moments that cannot be recreate once the time is lost. Everytime i am tired from work, I take a breather by going back to do small photography projects. This approach to me has strike a good balance for earning a living, having a quality family time (most precious to me) and enjoying photography.

For me, photography should not be a means to being rich and successful. It is a inner driving force that helps me to seek a good balance in facing the different perspective of things in the world that affect me.

thanks for all the inputs.

It is true to some of us... photography seems to be able to allow me to focus what it is and forget about a lot of things for that point of time. It is somehow a channel of the thought or perhaps a release point for some inner artist of one.

It is not an easy task to balance full time photography business with the passion behind it... The sensible way for me to do so is to keep increasing my fee to drop the volume enough so I can enough the photography itself as well as have enough to feed the family.

I was idle for about 3 weeks while attending to my mom's medical issue in China, it does make me wonder where life leads you... I do feel energize again after been back and shooting... it wasn't really from money perspective...

I have to admit, if one is starting, money do motivates them a lot to do well in business... but once they have reach a point where steady flow of jobs are not something that that have to pray for and enough money to put food on the table, the direction of which the motivation that drive that person somehow change... I can only speak from my own perspective...

6 years ago, I switch from Engineering to Photography, so the initial aim is to replace my engineering's pay at the shortest time.

After replacing the pay, the direction was to increase my ability in different fields so I could find one area of photography that I enjoy.

Once I found that, it simply a case of keep doing what I am doing and enjoy every moment of it. I can just say now (after 6 years) I have found what I really enjoy and won't give it up unless there is a good reason for it.

In recent times, my real motivation is to enjoy life... too many unhappy thing had happened in very short period of time... I started to question what is life really is... I only going to live once, so I might as well enjoy it...

Money do make life easier... but does it make you happy... only you can answer that for yourself.

Regards,

Hart

Money can only satisfy your materials needs but not your emotional needs.
Do what you love and love what you do, it will give you more emotional satisfaction and make you happy.

Interesting thread here...

yea, once u reach a stage where u don't need the money as a driving force, u dump it like your ex. Forgetting that it was IT that drove you to do what u r doing now...now your new fling is Ms emotional happiness...while still sleeping with Ms Money on every job..

men..

Last edited: