More DSLRs spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always enjoyed watching "crouching Tiger, Hidden drago" whatever the title was. The fight scene between Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi at the inner courtyard nearing the end of the movie really struck a cord.

Zhang: do not blame one's skill in losing due to inferiority of the weapon

Last edited:
i spot more and more people trying to hold down their popup flash these days, and they always look surprised when it pops up the first time!

:bsmilie:

it's ok, i've been there before.

So nostalgia :bsmilie:

Although I agreed that the man behind the camera is important, I think gear is important too.

Will you pay for an AD photographer who use a pns or maybe camera phone for your own wedding? Too extreme? Maybe will you pay for a photographer using entry dslr with kit lens and pop up flash?

Personally I will prefer pro photographer with slightly more pro gear :). Need not be godly gear.

I had just attended a friend's wedding and was kinda surprised by the number of DSLRs spotted during the dinner. I counted 5 and managed to differentiate the "official" photographer among the few. He was using a Nikon system and being the AD photographer of the nite, I was also surprised not to find any gold ring on his Nikon lens. On the other hand, one of the bridegroom's guests had a L lens mounted on his Canon 40D. =.="

I'm kinda happy that more and more people are joining the world of DSLR. At the same time, I was really keen to see the work of the AD photographer, shot with his non-fast Nikkor lens.

What are your points?

Sounds awfully condescending to me.

What are your points?

Sounds awfully condescending to me.

don't think it's intended to be condescending; i guess TS is probably accustomed to seeing (or was expecting to see) pros using the expensive stuff. as for the second sentence in bold, i think he probably knows it's entirely possible to come up with quality pics without the top gear, but just wants to see how good it can be ("how good" without necessarily prescribing any qualitative limits).

The arguments so far about the amateur and professional are pretty moot without having seen either's output.

Only distinction between an amateur and professional is that the latter gets paid. There is no bearing on creativity and image quality.

Prior to engaging a photographer, the client could request for him to declare what gear he would be using to complete the assignment, and discuss the use of certain items which are objectionable (e.g. camera type, lens, flash, strobe etc). I think this sort of pre-assignment discussion would give both parties a chance to clarify doubts, and is much better than the client worrying about quality issues on his own. BUT .. in most cases, if the client does not initiate this sort of discussion, I think most photographers would simply assume that they have been trusted to do their best since it's their area of expertise.

With flash photography which would be the case for most weddings, it matters little whether fast glass is used or not. Yeah, perhaps it would be 'preferable', so that there are options for DOF effects and natural light shots, but these are not a must.
I think it was David Hobby (aka. Strobist), who said along the lines of shoot 95% what your client wants and use that other 5% to shoot what you want. In other words, go for the established shots (typically w/ flash) and make sure your ass is covered, then go experiment with the 5%. So L-glass, f1.0 glass, whatever, covers only that optional 5%.

With the increased in s'porean spending power, the DSLR has become the new pns. :)
Its how its used effectively thats important.
I see many carrying DSLRs with POP up flash trying to take landscape.... :confused:

I see many carrying DSLRs with POP up flash trying to take landscape.... :confused:

me too!

their popup flash can light up shenton way.. :thumbsup:

I have seen someone from a grp of shooters (not from CS i guess cos i didnt see any post).

Looks very serious...

tested the ground cos it is near the lake...

then he mounted his SB-900 and....

shoot the Pagoda@Chinese Garden. :sweat:

Last edited:
There's a way to light up the darker forground of the ground you are including in your landscape photos. Those using extremely wide lens may capture this part of the landscape in the shadows. Using an external flash speedlight helps. Using on board flash only helps a little but if your lens is long or with hood part of the photo may be blocked.

SB-900 i believe has a range that covers up to 200mm, need check the specs again. It may help a little in landscape shots too to light up darker areas. Go experiment will know the effects and answers.

There are noobs who laugh at a camera man moving his cam back and forth when actually the camera man was using the basic AF lock and recomposition technique so common even to PNS. These people usually got nothing better to do and gathers in minimum numbers of two so that they can laugh at nothing but their own defeat and ignorance. you cannot possibly laugh and talk to youurself - people catch you throw to asylum :bsmilie:

Last edited:
There's a way to light up the darker forground of the ground you are including in your landscape photos. Those using extremely wide lens may capture this part of the landscape in the shadows. Using an external flash speedlight helps. Using on board flash only helps a little but if your lens is long or with hood part of the photo may be blocked.

SB-900 i believe has a range that covers up to 200mm, need check the specs again. It may help a little in landscape shots too to light up darker areas. Go experiment will know the effects and answers.

Ya la, if wide, and wanna expose the foreground a bit is ok...

But definitely not from far with the SB-900 that can only produce say a spot of wide light on the whole pagoda ba. :)

I had just attended a friend's wedding and was kinda surprised by the number of DSLRs spotted during the dinner. I counted 5 and managed to differentiate the "official" photographer among the few. He was using a Nikon system and being the AD photographer of the nite, I was also surprised not to find any gold ring on his Nikon lens. On the other hand, one of the bridegroom's guests had a L lens mounted on his Canon 40D. =.="

I'm kinda happy that more and more people are joining the world of DSLR. At the same time, I was really keen to see the work of the AD photographer, shot with his non-fast Nikkor lens.

I bet he can take more stunning shots than you do with his equipment. Don't judge a person by its cover..

So does it means a photographer who is not using DSLR with good lens cant produce good photos? That means those photographer who uses film to take wedding surely can't get good shots?

Ya la, if wide, and wanna expose the foreground a bit is ok...

But definitely not from far with the SB-900 that can only produce say a spot of wide light on the whole pagoda ba. :)

Actually i do not own an SB-900 so i cannot quote my own experiences or scenerios in using it. However i do know that the darker the surrounding, adding external artificial light to your photos the more prominent the results. In broad daylight bright areas flash is good for lighting up smaller areas in shade or shadows and balance fill or overexposure if not properly directed.

Actually i do not own an SB-900 so i cannot quote my own experiences or scenerios in using it. However i do know that the darker the surrounding, adding external artificial light to your photos the more prominent the results. In broad daylight bright areas flash is good for lighting up smaller areas in shade or shadows and balance fill or overexposure if not properly directed.

Yup. But 1 small flash, aim directly, cannot light up the whole pagoda evenly la. :sweat:

Anyway, OT here liao i guess. We chat through PM if you want to. :)

Yup. But 1 small flash, aim directly, cannot light up the whole pagoda evenly la. :sweat:

Anyway, OT here liao i guess. We chat through PM if you want to. :)

No problem too much OT. You have to be there in the person's shoes to tell the difference. Amazing thhings do happen at times.

was walking along orchard road today...counted no less than 6 ppl with dslr...and 5 of them are girls...how many guys...forgot liou...:bsmilie:

it all depends on the situation.

if you give a world-class photographer a d60 with a 18-55 kit lens, ask him to shoot a lowlight football match, he's going to have a very hard time, pure and simple.

it's time to stop making absolute statements like "it's all about skill and nothing to do with equipment" or "it's about lens, not the body". it clearly isn't, plus these statements are predicated on unrealistic absolutes -- for instance, a non-professional with good gear still has *some knowledge*, not zero knowledge. so the non-pro still can pull some good shots after some practice and reading up.

Wah! I see your post, I'm in cold sweat now.. :sweat:
I'm gonna shoot my cousin's wedding next saturday (as a spare photographer), using a Oly cam with kit lenses..

Been into photography for slightly more than a year. Not taken many events shots, only once or twice.
Pressured now.. :confused:

Very simple and no surprise.. The hired photographer is someone earning a living with his camera, uses the most affordable gears which can get him what he wants. The guest is the rich guy who earns money from his real job and it's just his expensive toy which most likely he doesn't know how to properly use. It's not surprising that these are the people who buys the white lenses with a red ring as a status symbol. Unfortunately, the dark side only produces tools that are unable to distinguish themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.