moon shots using D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aiyoh...! Sounds like that morning of the eclipse - heavy rain for eclipse viewing, and now thick clouds for moon shooting.

Looks overexposed to me. Try higher f/stops.

For me, I usually use f/10 - f/13 with 1/25 - 1/100 (depending on cloud condition) at ISO 100.

A shot of mine to share:
3367422151_c05165dde1_o.jpg

18-200mm @ 200mm
f/10 @ 1/25s
ISO100
Manual Focus

NovJoe, i like this one! :thumbsup:

Ya, Lim, can you imagine how sad I was that morning ... even though in Singapore it's only a partial eclipse but still I didn't get to see that small shadow. You know what, the Japanese observers got some pretty good footage by sailing a boat out into the pacific. They could move if the clouds were blocking and also their view of the horizon during the eclipse is astounding. Check it out on you tube.

Apparently, what what i heard on the news, there was one small island in Japan that could see the whole 6mins and 49 sec of the annular eclipse!
But right now, all I want to do is: get a bunch of Clubsnappers who would organise a trip to some ulu ulu places like Ladakh and Leh (yupe, I missed the lastest one) for 10 day in Sep, and go rough it out and take photos.
I need to get out of my four walls in my office.

ha ha ha .. wait some commando mosquito lands on top of your Hoya then we'll have something interesting silhouette eh? :p

ha ha ha .. wait some commando mosquito lands on top of your Hoya then we'll have something interesting silhouette eh? :p

Come on lah, phazed1, Ladakh and Leh are up there next to Kashmir, the northern desputed part of India with Pakistan. These area the people practise Tibetan Buddhism. Even their Commando mosquitoes also chant sutras daily and nightly. And as a result, are pure 101% vegetarian, Haha haha! ROGLMAO!!
One never gets bitten by mosquito in Ladakh! Lolxxx...!

ok ok, when you mentioned ulu i started seeing coconut trees and insect repellent. hee hee. i seldom travel la.

ok ok, when you mentioned ulu i started seeing coconut trees and insect repellent. hee hee. i seldom travel la.

Hey you are the pro photog, must travel widely and capture works that can sell, to sponsor your trip and make it free, and also make extra from it. In addition, plump up your portfolio mah.. Right?

wa dun say that man, i dont dare to call myself a pro. i think if anyone pays me for a shoot in JB i can call it an important overseas assignment already.

wa dun say that man, i dont dare to call myself a pro. i think if anyone pays me for a shoot in JB i can call it an important overseas assignment already.

If the JB Board of Tourism invites you to their state as a media photographer to record their events and produce materials for their propaganda in showcasing JB to the rest of the World, make sure you tell them you want to bring along an assistant photog by the name of limwhow because this limwhow carries lenses, Speedlites, Reflectors, Stands, multiple Strobes, Mono-, Tri-, Quinti-, Sexti, Octo-pods very well. And is also very good in serving cold drinks. Thank you in advance!

Ok la, same to you if the Tibetian monks need you to archive all of their ancient manuscripts, call me, in east side very fast can fall in at the airport.

kk100309-015-edited-resized-watermarked.jpg

heres my shot of the moon =X it was taken in the middle of the ocean, somewhere between indoneasia n australia

that moon is really burning!

48339279777074153059574.jpg

Hi, I shot this with a Fujifilm Finepix camera with a plastic telescope from Carrefour. There's lots of shake as everything is hand held.

with these setup, you're already doing a very good job!
amazing.. everything handheld?

well the toy telescope has a tripod. i handheld the finepix to the eyepiece. takes two hands to do it. my legs were planted against the legs of the telescope tripod to minimize vibration. Then just have to wait for any breeze to blow past then ... when all is clear ... snap snap snap. have to breathe in before snapping. the pro way of doing it is to have an 'eyepiece attachment'. but since my cam and telescope are not pro level stuff i just thought let's do this the amateur way. as i mentioned earlier on, takes a lot of shots to produce a clear one. there's blue fringing on the moon, but i removed it. if i have time to modify the telescope i will share again. it's really fun! : )

shot of the halfmoon today... still not as clear as novjoe's, but i hope you find it better than my former shots... any attachment to the lens that i can use to enhance my moon shots?

halfmoon1.jpg

nice photo!

Hi,

Here's my thread on shooting the moon and some suggestions as to how to go about taking those pictures:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503219

Hi Vince, does your Celestron have a motor drive? The telescope's tripod needs to be pretty sturdy for you to mount a camera on it and still maintain the view you want right?

nice ! handheld shots !!

hmm, i believe th moon rotates same speed as it moves round the earth .. thats y we always see the same side . and the moon moves at an angle of 15 digrees per hour.
use high shutter and about f11-16, increase ur iso should not be too bad.

some old shots :), i realise IS does help ! hehe

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3668758&postcount=1

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4752107&postcount=1

Status
Not open for further replies.