Monitor calibration-- affects all programs or selective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the question of this thread... I went home to experiment a bit on my PC. Colour calibration lets you create profiles. Some programs allow you to create only 1 profile with the default settings (like gamma, temperature, etc). Some programs allow you to create multiple profile.

Then the profile(s) will affect how your pictures look. If you load the profile into the Windows default colour profile, it will affect the Windows viewer.

To apply it to Photoshop, you will have to load it in with Photoshop's 'Colour Management' function. Alternatively, you can load it in as a Proof Colour, so that you can toggle between the 2.

I'd imagine that whatever programs you load the profile into... the look will be as per the calibrated profile.

For working on photos, I use Photo Mechanic. For general viewing, I just use the Filmstrip in Windows Browser. I find the Adobe Bridge to be rather slow and resource intensive.

I calibrate my monitor with Spyder2 Pro. Views from all programs appear to be consistent.

Yea, bridge is so resource intensive.. hence laggy.
What monitor are you using? ACDsee 9 seems fast you know..

Yea, bridge is so resource intensive.. hence laggy.
What monitor are you using? ACDsee 9 seems fast you know..

I am using the Samsung 971P. It's a bit under-utilised these few months because I've been a bit busy. But it's a very nice monitor. :)

ACDsee is fast. I have used it before. But so is Photo Mechanic. :)

How do i load the profile into the windows default colour profile?Im facing the same problem after calibration,the photos seems to be more saturated when i use windows picture to view my photos :think:

How do i load the profile into the windows default colour profile?Im facing the same problem after calibration,the photos seems to be more saturated when i use windows picture to view my photos :think:

Control Panel -> Display -> Choose the 'Settings' tab -> Click on the 'Advanced' button -> Choose 'Colour Management' tab

Then, you need to select the profile name profile. It could be 'Spyder2Express' or some other name you have manually chosen. This will load calibration profile in windows.

Control Panel -> Display -> Choose the 'Settings' tab -> Click on the 'Advanced' button -> Choose 'Colour Management' tab

Then, you need to select the profile name profile. It could be 'Spyder2Express' or some other name you have manually chosen. This will load calibration profile in windows.

So, im still a little confuse. what is spyder profile calibration based on? :dunno:

So, im still a little confuse. what is spyder profile calibration based on? :dunno:

It is based on spyder2 calibration, as the name suggests. If you don't have Spyder2, then you won't have it. If you have other calibration tools, then the name would differ. Not confusing at all.

It is based on spyder2 calibration, as the name suggests. If you don't have Spyder2, then you won't have it. If you have other calibration tools, then the name would differ. Not confusing at all.

I have Spyder2.

So how confident are you that spyder2 calibration is correct?

I tried already but somehow the pictures don't match what i see in PS when i view it with windows picture viewer... :confused:

In the photoshop colour setting:Working Space,do i choose the calibrated profile or i just choose sRGB/aRGB???

I have Spyder2.

So how confident are you that spyder2 calibration is correct?

After calibration do your screen appear reddish & have you tried Eyeone display2

For me, my feeling is that the both the hardware and software plays a part. I just bought a new PC. Previously, I was using my old compaq CRT monitor. Installed both the GretaMcbeth huey and also Spyder Express, both gives me a yellowish tone i hate. The photos also look more saturated in Windows photo viewer than in Photoshop.

Just bought a new set of PC, now running Windows Vista, and loaded in the huey again. Guess what, the colors are very nice on my Samsung 205BW LCD monitor (no more yellowish tone). No difference in the color tone of the photo whether I open in Photoshop, Picassa2 or the Windows Photo Viewer. happy user now....

U calibrate ur monitor.. set the profile.. then set your photoshop to use sRGB under color settings. Make sure you dont forget to set ur NEW monitor profile in display color management becoz windows doesnt do it automatically.

I also hope to find one that can have both slide shows and video presentation. That will be best cos I have both. Think I read somewhere some recommend ProShow.... Will check it out too.
Or you can use a "color aware" program like Lightroom which does a nice job with image slideshows (and generating web pages automatically). Depends on your processing workflow really :)

After calibration do your screen appear reddish & have you tried Eyeone display2

It gets warmer after calibaration..
Nope havent try eyeone..

Status
Not open for further replies.