[MOD]: EF-S 18-55mm -> 10D

Status
Not open for further replies.
end product....
4.jpg

Belle&Sebastain said:
jovedaddy, i think you could extand your customization service for a fee! maybe and earn you $$$
hehe... i think sure no business one... since lens not fully compatible on non-EFS mount bodies. thanks for the suggestion anyway.

jovedaddy said:
hehe... i think sure no business one... since lens not fully compatible on non-EFS mount bodies. thanks for the suggestion anyway.

there are so many ppl buying the 18-55 without 300d, i think sure can want lar! :sweatsm:

jovedaddy said:
sad to say...the modified lens is not compatible with film cameras. the design of the EF-S lens is clearly meant to bring the lens's rear element nearer to the smaller-sized CCD (compared to the frame size of 135mm film). used on a camera other than the 300D, the rear element would protrude deeper into the camera as compared to regular Canon mount lenses. as a result, the rear lens element gets in the way of the mirror when it swings up when making an exposure. however, this only happens at the wide end (18mm to about 22mm). anything from 24mm is fine.

have not tested.... but i presume the 10D has the same design as Canon's film cameras and would not be able to use the modified EF-S lens.

good news is that the lens is still fully functional after the mod :sweat: :)
in conclusion, i would suggest that you do not try this at home ;) .... unless you are really bored like me ;)

The purpose of the mod is to make the EFS 18-55 usable on bodies other than 300D.

After the rework, the lens on be used on 10D (and I presume D30, D60 as well 'cos of the 1.6X factor)

On a film or full frame body (1Ds), there would be vignetting at the 18 - 24 (approx) position. After the lens is zoom out beyond this range, it is normal. I tried on an EOS film body and on a 10D. And I shot slides, so I was able to check the whole frame...

Since 1D has a smaller 1.3X factor, I would not be able to guess the results..

skf said:
The purpose of the mod is to make the EFS 18-55 usable on bodies other than 300D.
After the rework, the lens on be used on 10D (and I presume D30, D60 as well 'cos of the 1.6X factor)........
skf .... did you try it on the 10D? when the modified lens is set at 18mm, does the rear element block the mirror? it would be great news if it does not. any 10D owner want to try on the modified lens?

jovedaddy said:
skf .... did you try it on the 10D? when the modified lens is set at 18mm, does the rear element block the mirror? it would be great news if it does not. any 10D owner want to try on the modified lens?

I am hunting around for a 10D for couple of months, but borrowed a 10D and tried, yes, works.

I shot on a EOS50 body, that was how I notice the vignetting portion.

I went to look at your mod lens - it seems to me that the protruding part is still quite high and might just scratch/scuff the part just above the mirror box of the body. Do not mount it in a non 300D body yet.

the inner protruding ring (top image) is the part which I am saying protrudes ..

3.jpg

You might want to file off some more, as a guide, make sure that the level is not higher than the height of the electrical contacts..

well, such modification does void the warranty of the lens

hard to say if this lens is to be used, it may damage the cam or not,
and if so happens, there is a risk for the cam warranty to be void too :cry:

skf said:
I am hunting around for a 10D for couple of months, but borrowed a 10D and tried, yes, works.
to be specific, did you try firing at 18mm on the 10D??? tried it on a 500N and it won't fire at 18mm cos the protruding lens does not allow the mirror to retract fully :(
skf said:
I went to look at your mod lens - it seems to me that the protruding part is still quite high and might just scratch/scuff the part just above the mirror box of the body. Do not mount it in a non 300D body yet. the inner protruding ring (top image) is the part which I am saying protrudes ..
You might want to file off some more, as a guide, make sure that the level is not higher than the height of the electrical contacts..
yeah..realised that after mounting on the 500N. filing it down solved the problem. now can mount on any EOS cam :)

have anyone tried a modified EFS lens on the 10D? interested to know if the protruding lens will block the mirror. thanks!

Still hunting for a cheap one to test drive.

jovedaddy said:
have anyone tried a modified EFS lens on the 10D? interested to know if the protruding lens will block the mirror. thanks!

you can have mine to test drive before actually doing it. may not be worth the $ and trouble if it can't be used. PM if interested, ok?
ivor said:
Still hunting for a cheap one to test drive.

Just finished my lens modification a few minutes ago. It works great with
my Canon 10D ! I was about to buy sigma's 18-50 & 55-200 and fortunately found this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

fMark said:
Just finished my lens modification a few minutes ago. It works great with
my Canon 10D ! I was about to buy sigma's 18-50 & 55-200 and fortunately found this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

Did the mirror hit the lens at 18mm? Please confirm :) I believe many of us are interested to know what's the results :)

:dunno: :devil: :blah:

lOrBeRt said:
Did the mirror hit the lens at 18mm? Please confirm :) I believe many of us are interested to know what's the results :)

The mirror does NOT hit the lens at 18mm !!! It works absolutley perfect from 18 to 55. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.