MIT students take pictures in Space using USD$150 rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my quick glance of the Air Navigation Order, it seems that

64. —(1) Within Singapore —

(a) a captive balloon or kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 200 feet above the ground level or within 60 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure;

(d) a kite shall not be flown within 5 kilometres of an aerodrome;

Hey Vince, so does this mean the order doesn't cover free flying objects? If so then looks like its green light to let go stuff upwards :)

To be honest, I haven't had the time to really search for the law on that, which was why I didn't make any comment yet. I only found this kite one by chance while trying to look for it.

I thought that those who proclaimed it so loudly would know more than me, but looks like they didn't.

Hey Vince, so does this mean the order doesn't cover free flying objects? If so then looks like its green light to let go stuff upwards :)

You're a genius! :bigeyes:

I'll just stick the balloons together than stick the cam on it. Like that I won't break the law. Just hope I don't get too many sky only pictures when the entire ball rotates or I need to figure out how to stick the cam like a weight to hold on to the horizon view. :sweat:

I intend to use a wooden cross at the base to balance the rig so there won't be much rotating and swaying.

If one day you see a cross in the sky, you know who it belongs to. :)

I intend to use a wooden cross at the base to balance the rig so there won't be much rotating and swaying.

If one day you see a cross in the sky, you know who it belongs to. :)

If one day I see a flying cross I would tend to think my time is up rather thinking of pretty model like you... :bsmilie:

Why not paint the ballons in Taliban colours, I sure will know you do one... hahaha

How about anti-radar paint. If it works for cars it should work for other things right? Just in case an irritating dot appears on the screen of our friendly protectors of the sky.

why so trouble? can take the whole rig, go to malaysia, go somewhere ulu, release the balloon, if got ppl point to the sky, just say they are UFO (happened b4) and wait for the balloon to come down...would police care? don think so. would politicians care? they know what is balloon meh? so who would care? those pompous academics in unis for using their ideas...tats all.. :)

At the rate things are happening in Singapore, high possibility that someone will take a photo of the balloon and STOMP it.

There'll be a swift reply from the relevant authorities saying "Tak Boleh" quoting some obscure law or invoking the terrorism terms.

At the rate things are happening in Singapore, high possibility that someone will take a photo of the balloon and STOMP it.

There'll be a swift reply from the relevant authorities saying "Tak Boleh" quoting some obscure law or invoking the terrorism terms.

I never like citizen journalism and STOMP is one of those perfect examples where good journalism gets converted into nosy, non of their business voyeurism.

Actually I rather it lands into the sea than into Taman Negara. But anyway. It'll be good if we folks can somehow let this go from within Singapore.

To be honest, I haven't had the time to really search for the law on that, which was why I didn't make any comment yet. I only found this kite one by chance while trying to look for it.
Hi, Vince. Have you take into consideration the Official Secrets Act (Chapter 213)?

Back during the days of my national service, I was also briefed on the Essential Regulations, Control of Publications Safeguarding of Information Act (COPSIA) and I'm afraid that you will not be able to obtain information of this act in the public domain neither am I going to elaborate on it due to military OPSEC. ;)

If a law is defined in the military, does it mean it civilianish people like me doesn't get confined by it? :dunno:

If a law is defined in the military, does it mean it civilianish people like me doesn't get confined by it? :dunno:
Nope, just be reminded that there are many draconian legislations or statutory laws to enforce the authoritarianism of the Singapore government and some of it are pretty much unknown to many politicians, not to mention the general public. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... and since we are on the topic of ballons... :bsmilie:

weatherballoon.gif

Nope, cos I don't know every single law there is. Can you tell me which specific section you are referring to so that I can review it?

Erm, I can obtain any Act or Subsidiary Legislation (or locally reported case) you name, so long as it is an Act or Subsidiary Legislation. If it is not obtainable, it is not an Act or Subsidiary Legislation.

The term "Essential Regulations, Control of Publications Safeguarding of Information Act" doesn't sound like a proper Act name to me. All Acts are passed by Parliament and are publicly available information.

Hi, Vince. Have you take into consideration the Official Secrets Act (Chapter 213)?

Back during the days of my national service, I was also briefed on the Essential Regulations, Control of Publications Safeguarding of Information Act (COPSIA) and I'm afraid that you will not be able to obtain information of this act in the public domain neither am I going to elaborate on it due to military OPSEC. ;)

EDIT: Addon, are you referring to the Essential (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Regulations instead? No wonder I can't find it the first time cos of the wrong title. It is subsidiary legislation enacted pursuant to the Emergency (Essential Powers) Act.

Anyway I found it and its on my screen now. What do you want me to look at in these Regulations?

btw, these are publicly available information, so whoever tells you that you cannot talk about it, does not know what he/she is talking about.

FURTHER EDIT: OR are you talking about the Singapore Armed Forces (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Order? Names are quite close :). You really need to give me the proper name for me to locate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not wrong, only a very small subset of laws apply to military people; and not civilians. That's why its called military laws. But those are still published as Acts and Subsidiary legislation nonetheless.

Nope, cos I don't know every single law there is. Can you tell me which specific section you are referring to so that I can review it?

Erm, I can obtain any Act or Subsidiary Legislation (or locally reported case) you name, so long as it is an Act or Subsidiary Legislation. If it is not obtainable, it is not an Act or Subsidiary Legislation.

The term "Essential Regulations, Control of Publications Safeguarding of Information Act" doesn't sound like a proper Act name to me. All Acts are passed by Parliament and are publicly available information.

EDIT: Addon, are you referring to the Essential (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Regulations instead? No wonder I can't find it the first time cos of the wrong title. It is subsidiary legislation enacted pursuant to the Emergency (Essential Powers) Act.

Anyway I found it and its on my screen now. What do you want me to look at in these Regulations?

btw, these are publicly available information, so whoever tells you that you cannot talk about it, does not know what he/she is talking about.

FURTHER EDIT: OR are you talking about the Singapore Armed Forces (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Order? Names are quite close :). You really need to give me the proper name for me to locate it.
Hmm, it's been a while since I had completed my NSF obligations and as such I am unable to remember the title of the legislation or statutory law exactly and had to refer to another source through google search. So sorry. :sweat: :embrass:

Do you have a link to both the Essential (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Regulations and Singapore Armed Forces (Control of Publications and Safeguarding of Information) Order so that I will be able to review them and refresh my memory? You can send me a PM if you wish and thanks in advance for you help. :)

What about a let-off from international waters?

weatherballoon.gif

and since when did batman work for he usaf?
This "USAF: Aircraft Identification Chart" is apparently a dig at the USAF for their frequent classification of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) as weather balloons. ;)

Sputnik 1, a flying saucer, USS Enterprise from Star Trek and a artificial satellite are classified as "weather balloon" among many others.

The last time I tried flying my cam on a RC chopper and someone called the police. I got warned not to fly cameras around (maybe they thought I'm into some fetish peeping Tom projects). I felt bullied though. :cry:

erm... aerial photography is prohibited in singapore.... you can take.. but keep it to yourself...

1. You sure it is prohibited in ALL areas in Singapore? Any laws to quote?

2. If it is, then why do you say you can take but keep it to yourself?

erm... aerial photography is prohibited in singapore.... you can take.. but keep it to yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.