McDonalds to release Pig zodiac Doraemon toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one more option to choose from: Wendy's @ Lau Pa Sat

You have to be kidding me. It's a $2 stuffed toy.
Are you seriously telling me that you felt so offended that they didn't have one character in the chinese zodiac,for a $2 stuffed toy?

:) haha. certainly i doubt we are that picky lol. face it. u eat mac, u get fat, and u get a soft toy;D wad else would u want?

In Malaysia all calendars showing the zodiac cannot depict a picture of a pig.. only the Chinese character.. I guess some kids will grow up not knowing what a pig looks like.

Are you seriously telling me that you felt so offended that they didn't have one character in the chinese zodiac,for a $2 stuffed toy?

It's not just about a $2/- stuffed toy. It's about McD saying that they are being sensitive to the feeling of one race and in the process, taking lightly the feelings of another race. While some may feel that this is a small matter, others may feel differently.

Most people in Singapore(including Muslims) don't see anything wrong with the sale of a pig soft toy. McDonald presumed that it is offensive to do so in Singapore. That's the problem.

And they have been here for decades; Don't tell me they don't know anything about Chinese culture, and could be so ignorant & blunt as to exclude the "pig" from the Zodiac! :dunno:

They are responding via media, thus got more weight. You will be surprised what in up in their sleeve.

The complain is not because we want to buy.
The complain is because the reason why they are not selling.
Imagine if they reason they give is that their supplier runs out of the pig one... will it attract this much attention?

People complained that Ris Low's english is bad. Does that mean people want to listen and understand her? :bsmilie:

It's not just about a $2/- stuffed toy. It's about McD saying that they are being sensitive to the feeling of one race and in the process, taking lightly the feelings of another race. While some may feel that this is a small matter, others may feel differently.

Frankly them not putting in the pig sounds like a very Singaporean thing to do, which is to cover all their bases and try not to piss anyone off. It's also understandable considering that McD's is a halal joint and they have a considerable consumer base of Malays.

I guess I find the public reaction ludicrous because it's...a stuffed toy...by a fast food company....
If you don't like their promotion you could always just not buy it. The food still remains the same.
I don't think they expected Singaporeans to react so strongly over a stuffed toy. What's more ludicrous is that it's a stuffed toy of a JAPANESE anime character.

I would have expected the public to be more gracious in understanding the logic behind the management's actions.

For people to feel so strongly about it shows that Singaporeans take their fast food companies very very very seriously and have very very high expectations of them.
:sweat:

Last edited:
It's about McDonald's plain disrespect for Chinese culture that people are not happy about.

NOthing to do with "fast food" or "soft toys". :nono:

er hello...
which part of McDonald's Singapore does it say that Doraemon "ZODIAC"?
pls note that
Doraemon Lucky charm (Singapore) IS NOT EQUAL to Doraemon Zodiac (Hong Kong).

Just because there is a 90% match to the zodiac characters doesn't mean it is a zodiac collection.

All these pig issues with the Doraemon collection is an assumption that it's a zodiac collection.

I repeat! This is NOT a zodiac collection.

and bcos people complained, now it's indirectly becoming a zodiac collection. :nono:

haiz... tsk tsk tsk

But Cupid where got lucky? Hong Kong Zodiac got well known Peter So's fortune prediction. Cupid not root so no prediction :bsmilie:

for not including the pig, nope. for saying that it's out of consideration for the muslim regardless of the others...that is a bit...yeah...offended.

i thought we singaporeans would be sensible enough to not blow this way out of proportion. and besides, i bet half the chinese singaporeans can't even list the 12 animals of the chinese zodiacs in sequence without googling!
i cant too.that doesn't make me any less aware of chinese culture to be overlooked in my sensitivities.
:thumbsup:
It's about McDonald's plain disrespect for Chinese culture that people are not happy about.

NOthing to do with "fast food" or "soft toys". :nono:
:thumbsup:

Most people in Singapore(including Muslims) don't see anything wrong with the sale of a pig soft toy. McDonald presumed that it is offensive to do so in Singapore. That's the problem.

And they have been here for decades; Don't tell me they don't know anything about Chinese culture, and could be so ignorant & blunt as to exclude the "pig" from the Zodiac! :dunno:

well. lets say it was like drawing a snake and addign legs

yet again. at least we know that they are scared of this kind of issues. just that they added legs. perhaps they shld had consulted others first haha...

er hello...
which part of McDonald's Singapore does it say that Doraemon "ZODIAC"?
pls note that
Doraemon Lucky charm (Singapore) IS NOT EQUAL to Doraemon Zodiac (Hong Kong).

Just because there is a 90% match to the zodiac characters doesn't mean it is a zodiac collection.
All these pig issues with the Doraemon collection is an assumption that it's a zodiac collection.

I repeat! This is NOT a zodiac collection.

and bcos people complained, now it's indirectly becoming a zodiac collection. :nono:

haiz... tsk tsk tsk

Borrow the 11 zodiac characters and omitted the pig, and then call it the "Lucky Charm"?

That's really funny. It's obvious they wanted it to be linked to the Chinese Zodiac(90%). But sadly, it is a failed attempt. :bsmilie:

Sometime, people are too clever and do not take into consideration the perspective of majority. They learnt a lesson. :sticktong

see, this is why you can't please people in singapore.

no toy, complain.

got toy, still complain.

so what do you want? mcdonald's to give everyone $50 and a free pig toy? :bsmilie:

It's a publicity stunt. Free publicity is good publicity. Do you really think Coca-Cola was serious about replacing Classic Coke with New Coke?

Status
Not open for further replies.