Max Dynamic Range - Which DSLR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy ....
450D's rank so low. lol

For printing billboard (those you seen on highway), you also need to extrapolate a 12mpx image.

In my humble opinion, a 6mpx image to print A0 size is more than enough. ;)

The key is not just mpx, its the DR and image quality that is important.

which part of the review they say this? i only see where they say its 9.5+? i know a350 is 9.1

he was referring to RAW headroom,

By flattening out the curve we were able to squeeze a total of 12.6 stops out of the sensor (of course a curve of this shape doesn't represent anything you'd ever use in real life but it does show the potential for digital exposure compensation when shooting RAW with the A900).

one would probably need to work hard to get this range, OTH, Fujifilm offer the >11EV out of the box.

The cameras with the max dynamic range are: A900, D90, S5Pro, S3Pro, D3 and D300.

DPReview lists the A900 as having the highest DR though, at 12.6 stops.

well, Sony A900 is probably the current title holder but looking at the models, you probably hate Canon a lot. :think: and I thought you said DPR was bias? :dunno:

Last edited:
well, Sony A900 is probably the current title holder but looking at the models, you probably hate Canon a lot. :think: and I thought you said DPR was bias? :dunno:

Nope. But if you want to take this to a personal level, PM me instead of trying to call me biased.

FYI: I was referring to the DXO link. Please take a good look, and you will see that the highest Canon is the 1ds Mark III, with a dynamic range of 12 stops. All the other cameras I mentioned are above 12.0; I initially only wanted to list the S5Pro (for a top 5), but added the S3Pro in as well. All other Canons score below 12.

So no, I'm not being biased. I just know how to read the data. So before you start claiming that I "hate Canon" or that I'm biased, I suggest you look at the data for yourself first.

Last edited:
holy ....
450D's rank so low. lol

Well this is a true ranking of the sensor , RAW file output of the camera. However there are other factors like features etc, but this gives a precise science to say which sensor is better etc and in what area? Theres no more "i think" etc. Numbers are all there .

The cameras with the max dynamic range are: A900, D90, S5Pro, S3Pro, D3 and D300.

Nope. But if you want to take this to a personal level, PM me instead of trying to call me biased.

FYI: I was referring to the DXO link. Please take a good look, and you will see that the highest Canon is the 1ds Mark III, with a dynamic range of 12 stops. All the other cameras I mentioned are above 12.0; I initially only wanted to list the S5Pro (for a top 5), but added the S3Pro in as well. All other Canons score below 12.

So no, I'm not being biased. I just know how to read the data. So before you start claiming that I "hate Canon" or that I'm biased, I suggest you look at the data for yourself first.

I was looking really hard at both DXO and DPR. if one take DXO chart as referrence, it should be S5Pro, D90 then A900, 1Ds M3 is equal to D300. anything else to prove you are really unbias?

save the PM or personal thing, if you can't take opinion, don't post in forum. and don't blame other for thinking you are bias--a search on your posting should tell why. :rolleyes:

I was looking really hard at both DXO and DPR. if one take DXO chart as referrence, it should be S5Pro, D90 then A900, 1Ds M3 is equal to D300. anything else to prove you are really unbias?

save the PM or personal thing, if you can't take opinion, don't post in forum. and don't blame other for thinking you are bias--a search on your posting should tell why. :rolleyes:

He was talking about canons , not nikon. Hes not biased la .

DPReview's tests are based on jpeg output and default contrast settings.

Last edited:
FYI: I was referring to the DXO link.

Although some of the results in that link make sense, anything related to low light ISO performance looks questionable to me. For example, it claims the D90 has significantly better low light ISO performance than the D300? In the same regard, the 50D is better than both the 40D and D300? Is the Sony A900 that good at low light ISO (clearly different from test results at other websites)? The overall sensor score also neglects another VERY important aspect in sensor design/cost: strength of AA filter. For example, the D90 sensor has a rather strong AA filter as compared to the D300. An interesting link nonetheless. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Although some of the results in that link make sense, anything related to low light ISO performance looks questionable to me. For example, it claims the D90 has significantly better low light ISO performance than the D300? In the same regard, the 50D is better than both the 40D and D300? Is the Sony A900 that good at low light ISO (clearly different from test results at other websites)? The overall sensor score also neglects another VERY important aspect in sensor design/cost: strength of AA filter. For example, the D90 sensor has a rather strong AA filter as compared to the D300. An interesting link nonetheless. :bsmilie:

DXO normalizes the iso levels , for example what d90 reports as iso 1600 may actually be iso 1200 , so duh of course it may look better in reviews compared to another camera that is more truthful etc. DXOmark takes this into account so there is no cheating , what you see is what you get , this is the true sensor performance. Review sites normally have reviewers who may not be so objective and they definately don't normalise the real iso values.

DXO normalizes the iso levels , for example what d90 reports as iso 1600 may actually be iso 1200 , so duh of course it may look better in reviews compared to another camera that is more truthful etc. DXOmark takes this into account so there is no cheating , what you see is what you get , this is the true sensor performance. Review sites normally have reviewers who may not be so objective and they definately don't normalise the real iso values.

Good point. But such an ISO discrepancy will most certainly show up in DPReview's tests (where shutter speed, aperture size, ISO setting + picture output are considered). Also, some sensors exhibit extremely poor performance in one or two areas, but is given a very high overall score. Hmmm... :think:

I am simply NOT convinced that the D300 sensor is so much poorer than the D90 in low light ISO (score of 679 vs 977). No way. I strongly suspect a 'technical/typo' error. Similar errors once occurred in Popular Photography test results before they finally acknowledged the technician performing the tests was 'careless' (I'll rather consider it as 'biased').

You guys want a REALLY TRUSTWORTHY site for sensor performance with tests performed by fully competent engineers/physicists? See here. Now, THAT is what I call REAL data, not the garbage spewed out by those ignorant DXO testers.

Last edited:

My list was not in order. It was just the top 5 (top 6 with the S3Pro).

It's ok. I understand you feel the need to defend your chosen system. And anything that doesn't glorify it is "bias".

They also test RAW output.

Nope, not the numbers. Just a demonstration of how much one can recover thru' RAW software.

It's ok. I understand you feel the need to defend your chosen system. And anything that doesn't glorify it is "bias".

Well, like I pointed out earlier, even within the same system, those DXO testers can spew out complete garbage. You need fully qualified optical engineers and physicists to get this right, like the site I pointed out.

Last edited:
Nope, not the numbers. Just a demonstration of how much one can recover thru' RAW software.

They may not put it in a table, but they do mention the number in the paragraph.

Well, like I pointed out earlier, even within the same system, those DXO testers can spew out complete garbage. You need fully qualified optical engineers and physicists to get this right, like the site I pointed out.

got no fuji s5pro leh :D

dynamic_range_a.gif

dynamic_range_4cameras_2.gif

not sure why but could not get the link to work. That chart there puts Canon ahead of Nikon !

Last edited:
not sure why but could not get the link to work. That chart there puts Canon ahead of Nikon !

True, but *only* compares Canon and Nikon.

But if anything, it shows that different sites have different measurement standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.