Market rate for backup/2nd photographers

Yes the industry is saturated with wedding photographers with most trying to boost their day job income. However easy the entry to this industry is, the exit is easy as well. some new players who started out freelancing are becoming more favored by consumers, because of creativity, skills, marketing methods or whatsoever. We should encourage them instead of trying to beat them back to zero. While the rest who can't make the cut eventually will simply go back to their day job, or pick up something else and try to strike another business opportunity.

However I believe that, any couple's wedding images are as important as your own. And if anyone is going to start doing weddings knowing you can't deliver images close to what you or your wife would love to own, then start off as an assistant and perhaps negotiate a reasonable pay from your main photographer.

Most importantly, put aside the ego of "Aiyah, like that only, I also can shoot." Because its easy to copy, but not easy being the ones who first created it. After probably a year of assisting and you know that its very unlikely you'd screw up at a wedding, then you consider perhaps of going professional.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hori!

DO PM ME KNOW IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A 2nd PHOTOGRAPHER! haha

-ken

i agree with Bryan, It has been increasingly easy for anyone to enter the photography business. However, many have sustained the mindset of it being an easy source of income and thus start to short change themselves.

We all started out from the same place. But some are given better opportunities, some are given better funding, while some just don't have any means to start out even decently. But regardless of how the entry was, my advise is to begin by seeing an end in mind. Start with an exit thought before an entry thought. Because that might eventually save you if you suddenly realise that this job may actually be not cut out for you. Never try and have the "I saw so and so doing this, all i need to do is to do the same and i'll make as much" attitude. Or even more so the "Hehe i just need to follow this guy for a few weddings, i'll learn his ropes, gain his trust then i'll branch out on my own".

I won't discourage anyone from coming into the industry, but instead, i'd offer a listening ear and a piece of advise first to hopefully try and aid in anyone's interest in entering the industry. Some people are drawing a healthy salary at their day job but wanna give it all up to do photography, even when they have a family to feed. So what happens when things don't pen out the way u thought it would be?

A photo is not just a photo. It is a reflection of who you are inside. It is a part of you. SO when you start agreeing to just give back images freely to any clients. Aren't you cheapening yourself?

Last but not least, being a second photographer does not mean that you are just another main photographer shooting a 2nd angle. It could mean as much as just shooting only group photos. So work out your job scope with the main photographer. If you are a willing and sincere party in wanting to learn the ropes. I'm sure anyone will be willing to answer any questions and to teach you or even possibily make you an associate someday. Hmmm as for the rates wise, i don't think you should be looking for an average percentage. Because if it is about that then you're probably gonna be ruining an eventual chance from learning something.

I forgot to add. "Never ever, bite the hand that helped you."

Apart from what Chris has mentioned, you should also pay it forward..

My advise is always plan for future... never ever fall into how much you can gain in short term.

I started getting paid next to nothing as trainee retoucher when I left my well paid Engineering job starting photography... But you have to learn how to be grateful and pay it forward.

Truth to be told, how much you are getting paid is irrelevant if you can learn something... but remember don't let other take advantage of you too.

Unfortunately, those who truely wanted to learn are very rare, and it is very rarer those who their action reflect their gratitute. Of course, the best one do raise very quickly and stands out very quickly.

If you are starting, there are 2 types of payment,

1. monetary payment, which is perhaps less than attractive until you are experience enough.
For example: I get paid $15 an hour for 4 hours a day for 5 days as trainee retoucher wasn't a lot of money after paying 30% tax and high living standard in Sydney. its really next to nothing... I get paid better working at McDonalds.

2. Knowledge payment, although, I was paid $60 a day, I learn a ton of experience each day and it is much better than getting paid 10x more but learn nothing.

So always ask yourself how much payment you are willing to accept as 2nd photographer and as the photographer, if you can't pay your assistant much, make sure you teach the worthy one as much as you can.

I hope that give you some perspective.

Regards,

Hart

Apart from what Chris has mentioned, you should also pay it forward..

My advise is always plan for future... never ever fall into how much you can gain in short term.

I started getting paid next to nothing as trainee retoucher when I left my well paid Engineering job starting photography... But you have to learn how to be grateful and pay it forward.

Truth to be told, how much you are getting paid is irrelevant if you can learn something... but remember don't let other take advantage of you too.

Unfortunately, those who truely wanted to learn are very rare, and it is very rarer those who their action reflect their gratitute. Of course, the best one do raise very quickly and stands out very quickly.

If you are starting, there are 2 types of payment,

1. monetary payment, which is perhaps less than attractive until you are experience enough.
For example: I get paid $15 an hour for 4 hours a day for 5 days as trainee retoucher wasn't a lot of money after paying 30% tax and high living standard in Sydney. its really next to nothing... I get paid better working at McDonalds.

2. Knowledge payment, although, I was paid $60 a day, I learn a ton of experience each day and it is much better than getting paid 10x more but learn nothing.

So always ask yourself how much payment you are willing to accept as 2nd photographer and as the photographer, if you can't pay your assistant much, make sure you teach the worthy one as much as you can.

I hope that give you some perspective.

Regards,

Hart
Excellent advice, that goes across any profession.