Manual SLR Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
whoelse said:
Seagull do have pure mech. in MD mount and cheap too but where to find? I was looking at Minolta SRT too but the feature is really lacking behind Pentax esp. the meter cell/needle indicator/battery although Minolta will do fine too. :)

There are too many kmount lens options out there so it's gotta be plentiful from different brand that uses kmount eg. Ricoh, Chinon and many others. Also u can use modern AF on MF kmount w/o problem. But I dun mind SRT too :D

Oh, I also have Russian len on PK mount too.

Which model of Seagull camera are pure Mechnical? Pray tell me and I ask my friend in China to get me a copy of it :) .... Don't need extra feature, if I needed those, I will use me AF camera ;).

blurblock said:
Which model of Seagull camera are pure Mechnical? Pray tell me and I ask my friend in China to get me a copy of it :) .... Don't need extra feature, if I needed those, I will use me AF camera ;).

Just a word of warning, Seagull camera isn't that reliable. It is best that you spent on a Nikon FM2 body and there is more selection of lens to chose from. All other brands does not manufacture their manual bodies anymore so they are consider dead system and you might have problem to find lenses in later stage.

20031110110235.jpg

-
DF-400G
* Shutter:mechanical vertical-travel metal-bladed
* Shutter speed: (M)2-1/2000,B,T (A)8-1/2000
* AE lock
* Multi exposure
* Metering: With 4 LED
* Preview of depth of field
-
20031110110212.jpg

DF-400A
* Shutter speed: (M)1-1/2000,B (A)4-1/2000
* AE lock
* Multi exposure
* Metering: With 16 LED
* Fix power winder
-

20031110152726.jpg

-
DF-200A
* Shutter speed: (M)1-1/1200,B
* Flash sync speed:1/125
* Self-timer:electronic 10 sec. delay

XXX Boy said:
Just a word of warning, Seagull camera isn't that reliable. It is best that you spent on a Nikon FM2 body and there is more selection of lens to chose from. All other brands does not manufacture their manual bodies anymore so they are consider dead system and you might have problem to find lenses in later stage.

FM2 body? Too expensive ..... not pro, so can't act as 1 and buy such good body. :D .....

If FM2 is out of yr $$, go for the KX/MX, you cant go wrong. Plentiful of parts and used body, can use modern AF len and many used SMC/3rd parties for u to choose. Also, the metering system are more modern.

blurblock said:
FM2 body? Too expensive ..... not pro, so can't act as 1 and buy such good body. :D .....

Haha...it does not take to be a pro to use a FM2.
My suggestion is that if you have not enough money to buy now, it is much better to save up for a much better and reliable camera that will going to serve you many years to come.

Buy this one lah:
-
front4.jpg

whoelse said:
20031110152726.jpg

-
DF-200A
* Shutter speed: (M)1-1/1200,B
* Flash sync speed:1/125
* Self-timer:electronic 10 sec. delay

Can consider :) ..... hehehehe.... will be checking it out :)

whoelse said:
If FM2 is out of yr $$, go for the KX/MX, you cant go wrong. Plentiful of parts and used body, can use modern AF len and many used SMC/3rd parties for u to choose. Also, the metering system are more modern.

Tried to bid for 1 x KX :) ... but outbidded this morning by 2 sec ;) will be trying for 1 at tomorrow morning :O

http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=3842613417

use bid snipper i never won anything with standard bidding....

blurblock said:
Tried to bid for 1 x KX :) ... but outbidded this morning by 2 sec ;) will be trying for 1 at tomorrow morning :O

http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=3842613417

Wow, good price! 50mm f1.4 len somemore. Go feel one, the KX is very very well build and solid. Like the repairman said to me, it's unbreakable.

For you to do some research: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

Only that Zenit has little speed choice. I tried one at sungei old market n was quite impress it actually feed good mechanically, better than I tot.

It uses CdS cell for metering too n less responsive then SPD. The mightly Zenit 19 is the pro range of zenit but it's price ard a KX.

Another option is the Fujica ST801. It's a screwmount body, very bright viewfinder, top speed of 1/2000, uses LED indicator and silicon blue cell for light meter, LR44 battery.

But then, KX/MX with adapter I can use both screw/kmount. ST801 is hard to come by, nobody seem want to sell it.

Super expensive, just to tempt blurblock only. U have $ to buy oso dunno where to find.

whoelse said:
Super expensive, just to tempt blurblock only. U have $ to buy oso dunno where to find.

Correct! This is a damn good mech body and very small size, damn chio sia! :thumbsup:
Sorry to be OT! :sweat:

The spec. will scare u off too. Solid.

whoelse said:
Ricoh KR-5 Super II is a mechanical camera and I had one too. It's light and fits the hand very nicely. It is made by Cosina, there are many other brand using the same body OM2000, FM10, Yashica FX-2000 Super. They are the same body with different mount, OM2000 has spotmetering I *think*. It uses 3 LED +/ok/-, the cocking is very nice and smooth and shutter is kinda loud.

It's a nice little camera, mine doesnt seems to have a very acurate meter compare to my EOS50e, KX or MX which I meter with grey card produce the same reading. The KR-5 Super II is sometime correct sometime off and can off for like 2-4stops. Maybe mine got some problem but since I have KX/MX for K-mount I din send for checking but also it's good enuf so I keep it.

Ricoh len I heard is not bad too. The later model are build by cosina, there are some zoom with made in korea label are made by Samyang. The len I have with the body RKN 35-70mm f3.5-4.8 is a wonderful len, it's one of my very best K-mount leh although cheap looking. Very good, sharper then some SMCs, Sigma I've got.

Weakness: Although the len mount is metal, the aperture coupling ring is plastic. This shd not be a problem but "chor-lor" ppl like me may mishandle and broke it :D

There are ppl who remove the timer as many said the gear wheel inside the timer is plastic and intime to come it will be deteeth and fail. However, the timer is also the mirror-lock prefire meaning it actually flip up the mirror before shutter fire during timer mode to reduce vibration. LED on it is bright large, it's nicer then the MX one which is alittle too small and confusing. Very hard to see in bright light too. The KR LED dont have this issues.

There are cheap, I bot mine from ebay in mint condition ard US$40+ with flash, body and zoom.

You can read about this generic body here:
http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/cosina.htm

Hey whoelse,

I have the same caera as you. Was wondering what other lenses it takes? YOu have any idea. I only have one basic lens. I started off with that camera and never regretted it. It was a real joy to use!

coke21 said:
Hey whoelse,

I have the same caera as you. Was wondering what other lenses it takes? YOu have any idea. I only have one basic lens. I started off with that camera and never regretted it. It was a real joy to use!

It should take any K-Mount lenses ..... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.