Magic tricks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second one power :) Other than camera trick/special effect...lol...

The noodles one could be collaboration / pre-fab though.

Lemme go watch :)

I once saw a Japanese magician do this crocodile T shirt magic trick - quite powerful - he can make the label move, and then appear to a real lizard of sorts, then go back into the label...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlkmW2PlnM
This one?
This one I'd say quite low level, alot of misdirection. If you look carefully, you'll notice when he slips the lizard under the book. It's right during him "failing" to do the trick the 1st time round. Very obvious. Notice his long sleeve slipping under the book.
HP one.. can easily program it.
Label move, possible just an elaborate setup.

Second one power :) Other than camera trick/special effect...lol...

The noodles one could be collaboration / pre-fab though.

It can definitely be a elaborate TV setup.. I'm most lost as to how he could get water, AND the thing heated up.. Of course can't see under the girl's hands, she may be planted.. but still... XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlkmW2PlnM
This one?
This one I'd say quite low level, alot of misdirection. If you look carefully, you'll notice when he slips the lizard under the book. It's right during him "failing" to do the trick the 1st time round. Very obvious. Notice his long sleeve slipping under the book.
HP one.. can easily program it.
Label move, possible just an elaborate setup.

the only low level misdirection is the one u are creating...hahahah its not like wat u think...but good evaluation

If you actually think, you'll find that chris angel, david copperfield, david blaine are all just very good performers.

Now, the japanese magician Takayama, he's good. I've not been able to figure out ANY of his tricks before. Oh yes, if anyone knows how Takayama did these, do let me know.

Possible camera trick, someone hiding behind the paper.. but..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRw7d38EKk

I can't even begin to explain this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgHEotomnVc

i know how he did all his tricks... he published it in a japanese magazine before.... all i can say is that he uses gimmicks... i feel that it is unethical to publish his methods on a public forum eh.:sweat: if you really want to know pm me...;)

Water appearing not sure, the heated thing could be a pre-planted chemical in the noodles that reacts with water (or when both compounds are in liquid form) to give heat?

It can definitely be a elaborate TV setup.. I'm most lost as to how he could get water, AND the thing heated up.. Of course can't see under the girl's hands, she may be planted.. but still... XD

i agree with you about not disclosing the tricks.. it is very unethical to do so and it removes the fun of watching magic tricks..

I am also a regular at the magic hall, zywerkz you learn yours from where? :)

illusionist and penguin magic =] joined a local magic club, forgot whats the name but didnt really show up much, they dont teach much interesting stuff, con me of my money :nono:

Hehe magician con magician :p

illusionist and penguin magic =] joined a local magic club, forgot whats the name but didnt really show up much, they dont teach much interesting stuff, con me of my money :nono:

On another thought, aren't teachers of magic also being unethical to teach others tricks? Where do you draw the line? If I tell one person its okay but telling more is not? What about a class of 40? Is collecting money to reveal tricks worse or revealing it without charge?

Or are those calls of unethical revealing just intended to further self interest (usually its the magicians who say so, cos they need to protect their trade secrets - since they paid to learn or research it, they dont want to have others to know it so easily, and for free at that).

As stated before, unfortunately, the same applies to any trade of industry, not just magic.

Hehe magician con magician :p

On another thought, aren't teachers of magic also being unethical to teach others tricks? Where do you draw the line? If I tell one person its okay but telling more is not? What about a class of 40? Is collecting money to reveal tricks worse or revealing it without charge?

Or are those calls of unethical revealing just intended to further self interest (usually its the magicians who say so, cos they need to protect their trade secrets - since they paid to learn or research it, they dont want to have others to know it so easily, and for free at that).

As stated before, unfortunately, the same applies to any trade of industry, not just magic.

the magicians firstly will never teach their mi jis. just teach you some basic tricks only which google can fetch you. so in a way, they arent really showing you much stuff. its like the army show their weapons during open house, but they dont reveal their full arsenal. so what you see to them is already unimportant.

in the past, magic is very secretive and its only passed on to the apprentice (usually the guy you see doing all the sai kang in the magic shows).

however with the advent of new technology and more and more people begin to know the secret to the tricks, the magicians cant survive on performing alone (unless you are the few top ones like david and criss) so they got to teach lor.

its not about telling one or many. in modern day, its hard to judge what is ethical already, everyone can source out tricks on the internet etc so i dont think its really up to me to judge what is right or wrong.

just that i believe, if the guy practiced so hard to perform, and you saw through the trick, if you are on the spot, dont spoil it in front of everyone la thats really unethical. give him the reward he deserve (seeing others amazed by the trick) and also for the sake of the audience's enjoyment.

cheers ;)

Yeap, my point exactly - the things which I shared on this thread were widely available on google - but yet people saw that as being unethical.

As with magic, other industries have their own fair share of trade secrets and confidential information, or secret formulas etc. It is up to them to protect their own secrets and they should not be crying foul when someone manages to figure it out. For magicians, that only went to show that the trick was either poorly executed/performed, or poorly concepted to begin with.

I agree with you that its not about telling one or many, and my point in raising that example is that these ethical cries which we are hearing, may not be well founded and difficult to delineate clearly. You are wise in the approach taken that its not up to you to judge right and wrong - in fact, it is difficult for anyone to judge another person on these kinds of issues.

I will agree that spoiling the trick in front of the performer and causing him embarassment is an act to be refrained from - just as in any other situation or any industry where you point out the weak spots of any presenter (say a person giving a presentation or speech or whatever, and he makes a mistake) - these would only be courteous conduct.

I would not however, rule out discussing it with my friends at the scene after his performance is over, to figure out how the trick was done. In my personal view (which may or may not be shared by others), watching a magic trick and being mystified is fun and enjoyable, and that enjoyment can then be doubled by trying to figure it out after the fact. And I also take the view that most people will try to figure out in his head how the trick was done after it was performed - whether they share it or discuss it openly is another question.

the magicians firstly will never teach their mi jis. just teach you some basic tricks only which google can fetch you. so in a way, they arent really showing you much stuff. its like the army show their weapons during open house, but they dont reveal their full arsenal. so what you see to them is already unimportant.

in the past, magic is very secretive and its only passed on to the apprentice (usually the guy you see doing all the sai kang in the magic shows).

however with the advent of new technology and more and more people begin to know the secret to the tricks, the magicians cant survive on performing alone (unless you are the few top ones like david and criss) so they got to teach lor.

its not about telling one or many. in modern day, its hard to judge what is ethical already, everyone can source out tricks on the internet etc so i dont think its really up to me to judge what is right or wrong.

just that i believe, if the guy practiced so hard to perform, and you saw through the trick, if you are on the spot, dont spoil it in front of everyone la thats really unethical. give him the reward he deserve (seeing others amazed by the trick) and also for the sake of the audience's enjoyment.

cheers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.