Macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentientpuppets

Jul 5, 2006
Hi all!

It has been a while since my last post, but in any case.... =p

I have joined the Oly club! :D so now considering getting a macro lens *gasps* seems like the zuiko 35mm is 'better' than the 50mm but sigma has just released (or is it just going to be released?) a 105mm macro for the 4/3 system.

any opinions on which would be a better option? actually, i don't really understand the significance of the focal length :embarass: ....does the larger distance mean one can stand further away to get the same size on the screen? or does it actually limit one's ability for say ....portraits or something?

thanks for the help!

sentientpuppets said:
Hi all!

does the larger distance mean one can stand further away to get the same size on the screen? or does it actually limit one's ability for say ....portraits or something?

thanks for the help!

yup, you're rite.

i think both the 35mm and 50mm would suffice for portraits.

longer lenses will be better for wildlife macros.

Haven't heard a lot of user experiences on using it as a portrait lens, but other than a really good value-for-money and 1:1 macro lens, some even use it as a cheap walkaround lens alternative to the kit 14-45!

Even if you can't have a large aperture for that shallow DOF for portrait shots, you could always get-by by using blurring effects on Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and whatnot photo editing software.

I haven't got time to really experience the 35mm -just got one today! But two bad points about it I immediately noticed is that for some reason, this lens when auto-focusing, tends to 'hunt' more (zooming in and out iteratively until a lock is achieved) than even the kit 14-45, and it is completely fly-by-wire (though it has magnification ratio indicators) so it might be inconvenient to use it with third-party bellows or extension tubes that do not support the Four-Thirds Mount electronics wiring.

the 35mm macro lens has the closest focusing range i've ever seen!

Ok ok...blurr blu again..with stupid questions..What is the ideal use for 35mm macro? Blu is collecting a 1 month old unit this evening to add to the current lot.

Blu is leaving for Jiuzhaigou Next week. Due to baggade weight, bulk and all, What should be the ideal lens to carry? Blu have set a self limit to 3 lens only. In Blu's collection, 11~22, 14~45, 40~150, 55~200 and 35mm macro. and flash FL-20 & FL-50.

Ok ok...blurr blu again..with stupid questions..What is the ideal use for 35mm macro? Blu is collecting a 1 month old unit this evening to add to the current lot.

Blu is leaving for Jiuzhaigou Next week. Due to baggade weight, bulk and all, What should be the ideal lens to carry? Blu have set a self limit to 3 lens only. In Blu's collection, 11~22, 14~45, 40~150, 55~200 and 35mm macro. and flash FL-20 & FL-50.

ask tomcat! he went to jiuzhaigou before. :bsmilie:

i think i will take the 11-22, and the 40-150 with fl-50 :think:

i'll take the 11-22mm, 40-150mm and the 35mm macro.:think: for the use of the 35mm macro, i think i'l l use it for close macro and group portriats or ordinary photography. You know, fix-focals have good quality!

In Blu's collection, 11~22, 14~45, 40~150, 55~200 and 35mm macro. and flash FL-20 & FL-50.

hi blu, did u get your 35mm from Selangor..? how much did u pay for this gem..?

Blu got a used unit...1 month old. the previous owner had extended warranty and the cert is passed to me as well. Trillion Photo in Midvalley is selling it at RM990 (list) but willing to discount it to RM900 (cash)

the 35mm macro lens has the closest focusing range i've ever seen!

Yeah... so close that lighting is an issue for the subject, if not using ringlights.

Actually the 14-54's minimum focusing range also surprised me. It's like just 6-7cm!

any one can share potrait pic taken by 35mm ?

Thanks everyone for the replies! :D i suppose i wld prob just get the 35mm macro ....though when ....hmm .....hopefully this is not the BBB virus at work! haha .....dun think i get out enough with the current kit lens anyway =p

Status
Not open for further replies.