Macro - Dragonfly

joecool1211

Mar 21, 2012
20120820-DSC_45701_zpsa5d76d7f.jpg

Nikon D800, 200mm f/4 micro, ISO-200, 1/4s, f/18, no flash

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I've been practicing shooting macro and have come to a point of little noticeable improvement. I am seeking critique especially on composition, but welcome feedback on how to improve macro shots.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to be able to showcase the beauty of nature and encourage others to discover it for themselves right in their own backyards.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken late afternoon just off a park connector.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
In trying to get sufficient depth of field for the wings, I went to f/18, which is beyond optimal for this lens. There was a slight softness starting to show. Wider aperture may make the background bokeh a little smoother. The subject could have been better lit (e.g. fill flash) to draw more attention to itself.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

The composition is ok. The background is perfect. The lens (200mm) is well chosen.
Somewhat low iso.
It is a pity, that the wings aren't good visible, because of the branch. That depends on the moment of the exposure.
The red color in the tail is only hardly visible. That is the lighting. A (separate) flashlight would be helpful, also to lower the exposure time.
Jan

Composition is well positioned. Details and Colours can be more visible, and for a macro shot, u will like to go closer to the subject make it fill about 80% of the screen? at 200mm u should be able to get in pretty close ~

But overall its a nice image! keep shooting!

Macro is about details. I dont see any details in here. Instead, i see a nice image of dragonfly, under-exposed. It will be most useful to use a flash. I'm not a nikon user, on a canon, in daylight, my settings is easily f/13 - f/16, ISO100, 1/125 - 1/160 with flash. Remember, macro is about 'up, close & personal'. I do not care if my bokeh is creamy or not, i want details on my subject instead. Learn to play with your settings, it took me years, and I'm still learning. Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Am learning to use a flash both for macro photography as well as events. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who is taking some time!

A good way to learn is to go group outing and be thick skin enuf to ask. Though the outing for macro have almost come to a halt, but there are still a few popping up once in a while.
I do organize some macro outing but its late at night. Once in a while the group i shoot with will organize a morning macro outing. drop me a PM if u are interested and i'll inform u if there are any coming up

I agree with everyone. I also feel like that you need to get closer to see more details of the subject. Something that you wouldn't see right away without zooming in, this is macro for me. Since you are using a d800 you can try cropping it. With regards to the flash, if you are shooting outdoor with enough ambient light you won't need it, unless you can diffuse the flash effectively then use a flash. Try to look for other people works from here, in this way you can have an idea on how do you want your style will be in the future.

TS, pls come closer to the subject..

try to get closer if u can..i managed to wait till one landed right beside me so i just slowly swiveled my arm around to catch him

heres one i took 2 weeks ago along punggol park connector...as close as i can get at 29cmhttp://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249355_10152234322435504_1297013230_n.jpg

and another one..damselflies mating..not very clear..too shallow depth of field..http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308699_10152234321770504_162786085_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a good macro photographer, so for me, this is pretty good, just not close enough. shoot more and improve.

HighTone said:
I'm not a good macro photographer, so for me, this is pretty good, just not close enough. shoot more and improve.

Yea ..shoot more..get more ideas n be patient..most important is the depth of field n stability