m4/3 system vs Nex system vs DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking to shoot kids, I suggest getting a camera with following characteristics:
- fast shooting rate
- fast auto focus and able to follow kids movement

For the above points alone, I suggest getting the NEX series.
Not only it has the fastest shooting rate (10fps if I am not mistaken) for its class it is also more affordable than the high end m4/3 cameras.

It should be enough for your use, DSLR would be too much.

----------------------------------------------------
Matt Mulyadi - Photoblog -

NEX is nice too, but 10fps is really not necessary for kids.
Esp. so when its many shots and most are not focused since AF cannot keep up.

m4/3 AF as of 2011 released cameras are all faster than NEX too. (ie. G3; GX1; EPL3; EP3; EPM1)
Neither are they expensive. G3 is only ~$700 body only.
Coupled with the fast primes at 12/2; 14/2.5; 25/1.4; 20/1.7 and 45/1.8, 45/2.8 macro, m4/3 has really come of age.
Very good portability and performance.

Hi,

Would suggest to make a trip to any store and have a hands on all 3 above for both yourself and wife. Test the ergonomics and feel and UI of the camera, maybe your wife and yourself will like DSLR? or mirrorless.

If you decides to go mirrorless, i would suggest m43. AF speed has improved significantly and you can't really feel the difference from DSLR. This is for Single AF, for Continuous AF (tracking) may be lacking compared to DSLR, the soon to be launched Olympus OMD though is supposed to have close that gap? Had Nex 5N for few months though the FPS is absolutely great, the AF speed feels a little laggy than m43 (Panasonic/latest Oly EPL3, EP3 etc). Panasonic had done a great job in AF speed right from the start, and still constantly improving. Between Panasonic/Olympus, if AF speed is your main concern, than both are not that far off.

As for Hi Iso, better dynamic range for Nex & DSLR than m43, since you upgrade from PNS, you will already see a much better image quality at Hi ISO and dynamic range with m43, so I don't think that's a major concern.

And at this point and on a road map plan, there are much more (small) lenses on m43 than any other mirrorless now. Pentax came up with K-01 mirrorless body which is K mount and can use all the DSLR K lenses, unless you want to use their pancake primes, the other DSLR lenses are much bigger than m43 counterparts. My 2 cts

Pentax K-01 is another take at the larger APS-C sensor format for mirrorless cameras.
Right sized but not smallest size (ie. not small body but large lenses )

It K-mount compatibility means its the mirrorless system with the largest range of lenses from cheap commercial primes/zooms, small/fast pancake primes, fast high grade zooms, high grade primes. Not to mention the hundreds of legacy K-mount lenses (many very good and cheap) usable without need for an adapter.

K01%2526DAlens_b1.jpg

DA+limited+lenses.jpg

One needs to see how large many other APS-C lenses are appreciate the pancake primes.

Pentax K-01 is another take at the larger APS-C sensor format for mirrorless cameras.
Right sized but not smallest size (ie. not small body but large lenses )

It K-mount compatibility means its the mirrorless system with the largest range of lenses from cheap commercial primes/zooms, small/fast pancake primes, fast high grade zooms, high grade primes. Not to mention the hundreds of legacy K-mount lenses (many very good and cheap) usable without need for an adapter.

K01%2526DAlens_b1.jpg

DA+limited+lenses.jpg

One needs to see how large many other APS-C lenses are appreciate the pancake primes.
IMO it makes sense if you use it with the small primes, but if you use it with the larger lenses...kinda defeats the purpose of getting a mirrorless for portability. If you are getting mirrorless because you want to use the crop factor to get more range, then the Nikon 1 system is the best IMO (2.7x crop). Sure, the Pentax is compatible with the K mount lenses without any adapater, but a lot of the lenses are quite big compared to the camera body, resulting in weight balance issues

IMO it makes sense if you use it with the small primes, but if you use it with the larger lenses...kinda defeats the purpose of getting a mirrorless for portability. If you are getting mirrorless because you want to use the crop factor to get more range, then the Nikon 1 system is the best IMO (2.7x crop). Sure, the Pentax is compatible with the K mount lenses without any adapater, but a lot of the lenses are quite big compared to the camera body, resulting in weight balance issues

Precisely, I personally think most MILC are at the right form factor with small primes (from UWA to short tele), which is why a camera like the K-01 is best suited for Pentax own primes which are typically small (esp. the DA pancakes).
As for zooms and and long lenses, better go with a DSLR, though its always nice to know that the camera can use them also with full functionality if necessary (eg. backup)

Precisely, I personally think most MILC are at the right form factor with small primes (from UWA to short tele), which is why a camera like the K-01 is best suited for Pentax own primes which are typically small (esp. the DA pancakes).
As for zooms and and long lenses, better go with a DSLR, though its always nice to know that the camera can use them also with full functionality if necessary (eg. backup)

But there are few pancake primes out there, and they are also very expensive.

So I guess you mean nex -5n or 7 rite?

Quite agree with brapodam. Its a bit funny to see big lens on a small body but its quite true that it also nice to know you can use those lens if you need it.

If you want serious pictures, dont hesitate to get dslr. One big thing to consider when buying dslr is access to speedlites. Speedlites is a very important equipment for me. For nex and m43rd, you only get those small flashes, which i believe you cant attach diffuser or bend it. If money is not an issue, dslr, lol.

Well prajna, I wouldn't say those nt taking dslr pictures not serious picture, ha ha. But weight is a factor which I don't have much choice with (*^_^*). But anyone has played with dslt? Heard its lighter and quite gd too eg A77.

Prajna said:
If you want serious pictures, dont hesitate to get dslr. One big thing to consider when buying dslr is access to speedlites. Speedlites is a very important equipment for me. For nex and m43rd, you only get those small flashes, which i believe you cant attach diffuser or bend it. If money is not an issue, dslr, lol.

perhaps u haven't really look at m43 range of flashes, there's fl36,36r,50,50r which are used for Olympus dslr as well. There's also 3rd party Mertz and nissin. Some m43 bodies can be more expensive than entry level dslr:)

Image quality and access to speedlites seem to be your priority, but that may not be the case for everyone else.

But there are few pancake primes out there, and they are also very expensive.

There are certainly enough small lenses in K-mount (not counting the legacy ones).
Definitely the APS-C MILC with the most choices of native small primes.

Since MILC are best used with small lenses, the focal lengths are the most often used ones from UWA to short tele.

They are not that expensive too other than the FA limiteds which I leave out of the list below.

I've underlined the notable ones that are pretty small and either cheap of comparable in price to lenses of that focal length in most brands.

Pentax DA Limited Prime Lenses

DA 15mm f/4.0 ED AL Limited
- $792 (SLRR) 1st May 2011
DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited - $750 (AP-F) $719 (SLRR)(*sliver $784) 24th Sep 2011 , 750 (CP-P) 11th Aug 2010
DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited - $696 (SLRR) 14th Sep 2011
DA 40mm f/2.8 ED Limited - $578 (SLRR) 25th Mar 2011
DA 70mm f/2.4 ED Limited - $749 (SLRR) 7th Feb 2011 , 800 (MSC) 21th May 2010

Pentax Prime (FA/DA/DFA)

FA 35mm f/2.0 AL - $782 (SLRR) 1st June 2010
FA 50mm F1.4 - $535 (SLRR) 3rd Jan 2011
DA 35mm f2.4 (black) - $259 (SLRR) 14th Sep 2011
DA40XS - $300
D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro - $680 (MSC) 14th July 2010
D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR - $824 (SLRR) - 25 Mar 2011 , $830 (OP) 15th April 2011

Actually all brand cameras have access to hotshoe flashes (speedlites the brand name for Canon for hot shoe flashes).

fringster0 said:
Well prajna, I wouldn't say those nt taking dslr pictures not serious picture, ha ha. But weight is a factor which I don't have much choice with (*^_^*). But anyone has played with dslt? Heard its lighter and quite gd too eg A77.

A77 is good just that's its A mount which takes dslr lenses which is bigger than nex lenses. And no, it doesn't take nex lenses...if weight and size is main concern, mirrorless is the way to go.

If u intend to upgrade from pns to dslr, u really have to try the dslt at the shop.

You should try A35 or A55 if you want a small n light n easy-to-use dslr.

Most people go for canon or nikon without checking sony or pentax out. I am not saying canon or nikon no good but there are other offerings, not popular doesnt mean no good.

Important is you must compare to see which one you like most, and not just set your sight on one brand after hearing other's comments and just go into the shop to grab it.

Ha ha pinholecam, i don't think i can call the price of those pentax lenses not too expensive. They look real expensive to me. :bsmilie: Seriously, buying a cam sys is really like marriage, wan to buy still must consider the lenses system. Ya Methree, i keeping my options open but i think i have to narrow my choices down to a few models, if not i sure the sales person will cry hell if i try out too many models, ha ha.

Personally, I felt that the Nex 7 or other m4/3 systems is enough for your needs.

Got a feeling that your wife won't want to use DSLR due to the size and weight.

Sorry people, when we looking for fast shooting rate, are we looking at continous drive? Cos dprview site when doing comparison, i only saw fps under continous drive shooting. Thanks.

if you're looking for high FPS and light-weight, it should be the NEX-5N.

up to 10FPS through the Speed Priority Continuous shooting mode.

however, take into consideration that high FPS is also dependent on the lighting conditions. if it's low-light and the camera doesn't offer clean high-ISO images, then it doesn't make sense to have it.

also please stick to your original choices and narrow it down before you start a brand war

Status
Not open for further replies.