Lifeguard couldn't do CPR!!!

I believe all lifeguards are CPR trained given the high standards in Singapore, this is not a 3rd world country here. Though the doctor should be commended for stepping in and doing his job. many people are scared of performing CPR because of so many things, something could be broken or they don't have the stamina to keep it going (the most important thing to do).

i agree with this.:)

badly done cpr, can result in fractured rib bones. i tried learning it from the red cross ppl during the yog. lets say i think i killed the dummy:bsmilie:

On the context of breaking ribs... I learnt 1st aid last year.. from the instructor's past experience ad advise,(an ex-paramedic), he told us, no matter what, we have to do the CPR in order to save the person's life..!

Time is the crucial factor....

If we worry about ribs broken and no CPR was done, the person is as good as dead, cos his brain will die after a few minutes.. He is considered a goner.

Dun worry breaking any ribs. The only chance the person will live is have his heart pumped, so oxygen will go to his brain and keep him alive. Ribs can be fixed when the person gets to the hosiptal.

If the guy dares to sue for broken ribs after being saved, the judge will throw him out of court for ungratefulness.

CPR can be done both ways, 2 mouth+30 pumps or just keep on pumping (ie no mouth contact) ie when u suspect that the victim has transmissble disease via saliva thingy, u can just keep pumping the heart until he is saved.

For the young kid, he has to apply less pressure when he does the pumps. at least, he can save the kid. (what if the doc is not around)!

:sweat: aiyo..

Last edited:
hahaha very interesting thing to know:)

well, the red cross ppl did say must do correctly haha:). something like 2 fingers up from the arc of the ribs? then the bone is thicker and harder to break...

cannot remember liao. got time, must go learn properly. u will never know when these stuff might come in useful:)

hahaha very interesting thing to know:)

well, the red cross ppl did say must do correctly haha:). something like 2 fingers up from the arc of the ribs? then the bone is thicker and harder to break...

cannot remember liao. got time, must go learn properly. u will never know when these stuff might come in useful:)

i may want to go for a refresher course again... i think it is important, for others and for family..:angel:

maybe there was no need for CPR in the first place? CPR is only performed when the heart stops and there is no pulse.

read again!

ALL lifeguards are certified to do CPR. the lifeguard was just following SOP when the guest doctor went to do CPR on the girl.

Mr. Bean couldn't do CPR !

[youtube]H1mEqg8WArQ[/youtube]

On the context of breaking ribs... I learnt 1st aid last year.. from the instructor's past experience ad advise,(an ex-paramedic), he told us, no matter what, we have to do the CPR in order to save the person's life..!

Time is the crucial factor....

If we worry about ribs broken and no CPR was done, the person is as good as dead, cos his brain will die after a few minutes.. He is considered a goner.

Dun worry breaking any ribs. The only chance the person will live is have his heart pumped, so oxygen will go to his brain and keep him alive. Ribs can be fixed when the person gets to the hosiptal.

If the guy dares to sue for broken ribs after being saved, the judge will throw him out of court for ungratefulness.

juz make sure u're not in one of those countries where the judge WONT throw the case out cos someone says that u botched the process..