Lexus/Riva Sb-3000AFp mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i get this, it'll be an impulse buy >.<

haha.

Anyway, does the high-pitch whine continue even after the ready light comes on? The flash did that on all 3 pieces that I tried out.

The sound is from the capacitor charging and is perfectly normal.

Pentax users suddenly clamouring to buy the most sought after Pentax compatible accessory...
Swissco people suddenly see so many Pentax users coming to their shop...
Shriro sales people suddenly find sales of Pentax flash guns drop for the month of June...

This really puts a new meaning to the word FLASH MOB :bsmilie:

OK I think I better go and buy some more... :eek:

Pentax users suddenly clamouring to buy the most sought after Pentax compatible accessory...
Swissco people suddenly see so many Pentax users coming to their shop...
Shriro sales people suddenly find sales of Pentax flash guns drop for the month of June...

This really puts a new meaning to the word FLASH MOB :bsmilie:

OK I think I better go and buy some more... :eek:

lol maybe it's just our way of saying we want better quality flash and a low budget flash that can swirl and tilt.

Personally I feel the AF-540FGZ build is only a bit better than SB-3000:sticktong

Oh ya, I always wanted to say this but always forget. Pentax bro, please dun take risk to get the Metz 48 or 58 flash as some had reported zoom head stuck resulting to error.
Edit: Maybe wait till there's an official agent here.

longko, nice pictures.
With so many flash guns in the hands of so many Pentax users, a Pentax strobist meet would be viable.

We can call ourselves the SB-3000 Club :bsmilie:

Man, I'm really impressed so many have erm, taken tea breaks and time off to go down and grab a few. You guys are a dedicated bunch. :thumbsup: Looks the the Great Singapore Sale just started early for the folks at Swissco. :bsmilie:

Can I use the built-in flash as an optical trigger for the sb3000, or does it send a PTTL pre-flash that will trick the slave flash?

This flash seems good. May I know where is the shop that sell this flash? :)

Oic. Thanks bro for the fast response. :)

np I happen to be around lol.

BTW Pentax strobist take note, this flash optical works as far as 13 feet apart.;)

The pre-flash will trick the flash. You need the HS-02 to overcome.
http://www.swisscophoto.com.sg/offer.htm

Hmm, in that case then the built-in flash will not appear in the photo and the only flash source is the off-camera flash. That might not be such a bad thing after all!

Anyway, the HS02 will allow the SB3000 to ignore the PTTL pre-flash right? At that price, might as well top-up $5 and get a DSL20 and use that as a trigger in A mode?:think:

Hmm, in that case then the built-in flash will not appear in the photo and the only flash source is the off-camera flash. That might not be such a bad thing after all!

Anyway, the HS02 will allow the SB3000 to ignore the PTTL pre-flash right? At that price, might as well top-up $5 and get a DSL20 and use that as a trigger in A mode?:think:

The DSL20 is not as powerful (mount on hotshoe u only can sync at 1/80s) and may not sync as well. With a HS02 u can sync 2 flash.. 1 mount the other with cord;)

Edit: BTW with HS-02 u can also use only manual flash with low trigger voltage. But again u might wanna look into getting a catus V2s

Did some testing of the SB-3000AF in M at full power. The GN published is very optimistic.

I'm getting a GN of 16.8 meters at ISO 100 :eek:

Following the formula of GN = aperture x distance,
I'm getting f/4 at about 4.2 meters, f/5.6 at 3 meters.
Measured by my Minolta flash meter.

Did some testing of the SB-3000AF in M at full power. The GN published is very optimistic.

I'm getting a GN of 16.8 meters at ISO 100 :eek:

Following the formula of GN = aperture x distance,
I'm getting f/4 at about 4.2 meters, f/5.6 at 3 meters.
Measured by my Minolta flash meter.

Is ur zoom at 85mm or 50mm? GN 36 or 38 is at 85mm

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, if my estimate value of its GN at 85mm is 32. Then 24mm is GN5.3, 28mm is GN10.6, 35mm is GN16, 50mm is GN21.3, 70mm is GN26.6?

Is ur zoom at 85mm or 50mm? GN 36 or 38 is at 85mm

No difference at 35mm/50mm setting, it still reads about f/4.5 at 4.2m, ISO 100
at the 70/85mm setting, it reads around f/3.2 at the same measured distance.
Just did a couple more tests with camera and double checked with flash meter, my estimation is the GN is closer to GN24, which is still lower than on paper spec.

Perhaps my set faulty, but everything works well enough at different manual power settings and TTL.

No difference at 35mm/50mm setting, it still reads about f/4 at 4.2m, ISO 100
at the 70/85mm setting, it reads around f/2.8 at the same measured distance.
Just did a couple more tests with camera and double checked with flash meter, my estimation is the GN is closer to GN24, which is still lower than on paper spec.

Perhaps my set faulty, but everything works well enough at different manual power settings and TTL.

There is a diff in the distance it reaches on the zoom head. That's why some flash published for GN on 50mm and 85mm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think GN for 50mm is calculate as this.
36 at 85mm so (36/85)*50mm = GN21.1
My est 30-32 at 85mm so (32/85)*50mm = GN18.8 or (30/85)*50mm = GN17.6 (closer to ur reading)

Cause when u on the flash without mount by default it's 50mm

I did my own little test with the Sb3000 and 540FGZ

SB3000 = GN 26 @ 85mm ISO100
540FGZ = GN 38 @ 85mm ISO100

So the GN for the SB3000 IS about 38 afterall!

You may be wondering how I do my maths...:bsmilie:

You see, the way they test the flash is very very different from the way we test ours.
They do it in a super optimised enviroment with minimum light lost.
Therefore whatever GN they quote, just minus 1 stop from it.
There... the result speaks - the official GN of the SB-3000AF is 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.