Less people taking public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public transport ridership drop 4%, but population go up by dunno how many millions in the last decade so...

every morning still got a lot of ppl taking mrt...

Back than 5 years ago, during rush hour, you could still stand around comfortably to & back to work.

These days, get squashed big time..........

Yeah, Kallang Bahru HDB (read housing estate) also got one. I think next time when we step out of the house we'll need to insert a cashcard into our pockets. This will be on the pretext that the system is nescessary in dispersing out human congestion in the country. Sungei Kadut is free, Orchard will cost you 2 bucks, Serangoon maybe one fifty. :bsmilie:

conspiracy theory: policymaker increase the bank loan on car to 100% so more people can afford owning a car (reason given that people are complaining that they can no longer afford cars). Once more cars are on the road, when people start complaining about traffic jams, they have good excuses to build more ERP gantries as well as increase the ERP rates not to mention the increase in COE price. When people cannot tahan and go back to public transportation, then the public transportation companies (all under the control of one holding company) ask for fare increase because their service is being stressed and they need to provide more services to the demand. They build up the fixed asset and operation costs with air-conditioned exchange and the like so it shows on their book that they are not making that much profits.

The cycle continues and the poor guys continue to pay through their nose...

I share your thoughts exactly. I think LTA had gone from a fixed tax basis to a variable tax basis ( ERP )when they reduced some registration fees from 150% of OMV to 130% , and again reduce to 110% and i think it stands at 100% of OMV now.Making the car seems cheap, esp with 100% bank loan.

I felt our tranport system took a huge backward step instead. With the flood of cars jamming the road, with ineffective ERP, which despite paying, the roads are still jammed. The side effect is on the public buses, which is why there is a need to create the bus lane. Run foul of that lane, then its extra income for LTA, again.

Last edited:
Probably LTA did not realised that the drop in ridership in public transport, can be due to the retrenchments going on. With no work, is there still a need to take the public tranport every morning n evening ? Yes, need to attend interviews, but that is not everyday. Locals will probably just stay home .

Non locals, having lost their jobs, will be leaving our shores ? Haha.. But why the rentals for HDB are still like not reducing,that is at least what i heard from my colleagues.

Just saw it in the news, 3 gantries going to have their toll adjusted upwards 50 - 100% depending on location. Why is life so predictable. :(

welcome to Singapore...a friend of mine was still telling me to get a car fast as no of COE decreases..(soon may become limited edition) and prices go up....Actually i don't believe the report of less ppl on public transport...it is just a damn excuse to do what they need. increase ERP,COE,bus & MRT fares...sick..is so sick...ask Ah Gong and his wife take train la..i bet she will stroke again all the way song song to heaven this time...

Bus and train are so unbearable sometimes but LL...no money how to follow ppl drive car...i share the thoughts of some ppl abt young punks or grad driving cars..i am always quite impress with how the heck they can survive with just 3k pay and a car etc...i almost become a car owner till my CFO stops me and ask me to do my maths carefully...we have come out with the policy of no babies no car...taking cab is still cheaper i guess.. for me my cab fare a month will hit ard 500-600 and is still cheaper than buying a damn jap car and maintaining it + petrol + Tax + kopi money for fatimah etc...

I HATE our public transport sys..it is so crowded and they still can whole day complain not making enough money...it is so crowded ppl has give up trying to be courteous etc....but the money save at the end of the day helps to calm me down. some pals loan and loan to feed their damn car....while i watch them,i use my extra saving buy lens,go holiday to further place...then my car friends only go to nearby places...

actually, i do notice a slight drop this few months... i think it's partly due to the economic slowdown... with more expats going home and less people going to work, ridership will fall.

i am fine with public transportation, as long as they are efficient and convenient. singapore can learn a thing or 2 from hongkong. :)

Singapore is overpopulated

Way way way way overpopulated.. And they are trying to cramp more people in.. And they do that when infrastructure wasn't even ready to accomodate.

It hurts people, especially those who needs some personal space. I need some space too, but once in a while. Some of my family members become moody when they ran out of personal space. Imagine, going to work, at work, at lunch, after work, dinner (if eating outside); there is no privacy or personal space unless we lock ourselves up in our own houses. :(

It hurts people, especially those who needs some personal space. I need some space too, but once in a while. Some of my family members become moody when they ran out of personal space. Imagine, going to work, at work, at lunch, after work, dinner (if eating outside); there is no privacy or personal space unless we lock ourselves up in our own houses. :(

It won't be long before Singaporeans rate as the unhappiest people in the world.

Lol... Any minister looking at this thread or not... ;p

Seriously, every morning train is damn horrible and people can wait 3 trains just to squeeze in. What's worse is that sometimes the train only came after 5mins during peak hours!!! Seriously, if the government want more people to take public transport, improve the standard and timing of MRT first... But well, next you will hear people complaining ticket rise..

they should reduce public transport fares... TO ATTRACT MORE PPL TO USE MRTS AND BUSES. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.