lens recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good combo would be 18-55 + 55-250. Covers a wide range.

However if your prefer an all-in-one package get the 18-200 or the Tamron 18-270

I was thinking of getting on for my next holiday trip, so I can travel light with my family...Now my question is this, when you put brand aside, which is actually a better choice in terms of speed & sharpness?....:)

Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270?

I was thinking of getting on for my next holiday trip, so I can travel light with my family...Now my question is this, when you put brand aside, which is actually a better choice in terms of speed & sharpness?....:)

Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270?

So pricing/cost is no consideration?

So pricing/cost is no consideration?

Lets just presume for a moment here that pricing is not the determining factor here which would you choose?

or there is something better out there :bsmilie:

Lets just presume for a moment here that pricing is not the determining factor here which would you choose?

or there is something better out there :bsmilie:

Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object.

Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object.

I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the most expensive is not the best option...;)

I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the most expensive is not the best option...;)

he's actually being specific... It's not a generalisation "more expensive = better"
The canon 18-200 IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the Tamron 18-270.
So now... do you know which lens he's referring to with the phrase "get the more expensive one"?

he's actually being specific... It's not a generalisation "more expensive = better"
The canon 18-200 IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the Tamron 18-270.
So now... do you know which lens he's referring to with the phrase "get the more expensive one"?

Ohh...But I'm also being specfic...I believe a simple search will reveal the price difference between the 2 Lens. I don't need you to tell me, the Canon cost more...:bsmilie:

So my question is, which is better & why?

I guess I should rephrase my answer for clearer picture: "I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the more expensive choice is not always the best option, may I know your point of view as to why your preference to Canon? Is it reliability, quality...?

Lastly, pardon me if I don't speak the Queen's English, Old Fart here didn't receive much education during younger days...:bsmilie:

Ohh...But I'm also being specfic...I believe a simple search will reveal the price difference between the 2 Lens. I don't need you to tell me, the Canon cost more...:bsmilie:

I guess I should rephrase my answer for clearer picture: "I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the more expensive choice is not always the best option, may I know your point of view as to why your preference to Canon? Is it reliability, quality...?

Lastly, pardon me if I don't speak the Queen's English, Old Fart here didn't receive much education during younger days...:bsmilie:

Ok lets try it again.

The canon has better build. The tamron also have a weird position in the focal length where the zooming is not smooth. Many people who has both lenses also claim that the contrast in the Canon is better than Tamron throughout the range and is slightly sharper.

Tamron also has some problems in certain batches with back/front focusing problems, or softness. So if you go for Tamron, be sure to test till you get a good copy. If you end up with a bad copy, calibration will take a while as dealer needs to send it to Japan to get it done, so will take at least 1 month to do. Tamron is cheaper, and has more reach.

So there. Hope that is specific enough for you.

Chow Yun Fatt said:

I think you misunderstood me.

Daredevil123 replied to your post with
daredevil123 said:
Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object. "

to which you replied
Chow Yun Fatt said:

My point was that he's not making a generalisation that the more expensive lens is always the best option. Between the 2 (tamron and canon), it is common knowledge that the canon 18-200 is the more expensive lens. So he's actually advising you to get the canon, since you said to put cost considerations aside...
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass and tell you something you already know.

Ok lets try it again.

The canon has better build. The tamron also have a weird position in the focal length where the zooming is not smooth. Many people who has both lenses also claim that the contrast in the Canon is better than Tamron throughout the range and is slightly sharper.

Tamron also has some problems in certain batches with back/front focusing problems, or softness. So if you go for Tamron, be sure to test till you get a good copy. If you end up with a bad copy, calibration will take a while as dealer needs to send it to Japan to get it done, so will take at least 1 month to do. Tamron is cheaper, and has more reach.

So there. Hope that is specific enough for you.

Thank you for your unbiased opinion between the 2 Lens...I'm now convinced that the Canon is a better choice. :D

Thank you again for helping a Newbie out...:bsmilie:

I think you misunderstood me.

Daredevil123 replied to your post with

to which you replied

My point was that he's not making a generalisation that the more expensive lens is always the best option. Between the 2 (tamron and canon), it is common knowledge that the canon 18-200 is the more expensive lens. So he's actually advising you to get the canon, since you said to put cost considerations aside...
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass and tell you something you already know.

My mistake then...A thousand appologize...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.