lens for cosplay

Oops I'm quite interested to hear your experience on Cosplay lens...

Got any suitable for only purpose lens on taking Cosplay :)

Any suitable below of my list?
14-24 f2.8/16-35 VR2
17-55 f2.8/17-50 f2.8
18-55/18-200 VR2
24-70/28-85 f2.8
24 f1.4
28 f1.8
50 f1.8/1.4
85 f1.8/1.4
105 f2.8 micro
70-200 f2.8 VR1/2

Thanks please advise :)

Read through the thread and you'll find the answer.

Rashkae said:
All are suitable. Even kit lens. There is no "lens for cosplay", there is just "lens that provides the focal length and aperture you need". More important is that you learn how to use an external flash and how to bounce/diffuse.

That's why got it topic.. Ha ha..

Thanks your quick response

Ok thanks Rashkae for getting me to look up what bokeh actually means

"In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light"." - from wikipedia.

So its more like the quality of the background blur rather than the quantity of it.

Also shooting cosplayers at cosplay events is more like event photography rather than cosplay photography. Proper cosplay photography aims to recreate the feel of the original material which the characters are based from - the cosplayers will try to make an accurate costume, and learn the poses of their characters, the photographer will try to select an appropriate location and lighting (or set up his own) and shoot the cosplayer accordingly.

Virtually all the lenses from Rain5533's list can and have been used with good results (maybe not the 28 lol too new).

CorneliusK said:
Ok thanks Rashkae for getting me to look up what bokeh actually means

"In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light"." - from wikipedia.

So its more like the quality of the background blur rather than the quantity of it.

Also shooting cosplayers at cosplay events is more like event photography rather than cosplay photography. Proper cosplay photography aims to recreate the feel of the original material which the characters are based from - the cosplayers will try to make an accurate costume, and learn the poses of their characters, the photographer will try to select an appropriate location and lighting (or set up his own) and shoot the cosplayer accordingly.

Virtually all the lenses from Rain5533's list can and have been used with good results (maybe not the 28 lol too new).

He he but the 28mm is more suitable for crop sensor.

For FX
If outdoor I will going for 70-200mm VR2.
If indoor shoot will be prefer on 24-70 f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.4G on portraits lens.

Just depend on the limited space right.
If very limit space then go for 24mm in FX body. If the DX maybe can decide on 11-16 f2.8.

But I have no experience on Cosplay shots.
If portraits yes..

Last time only used my LX3 for shots the one piece pose.

Last edited:

Exactly!! Also, not just how nicely it's rendered, but how much it enhances the subject (good) or distracts from it (bad)

I read that too~ its more like quality of the blur "light" in your image rather than just blur~

Or else you will just get gaussian blur~

Last edited:
Aiyo. Haha. Tks for all d explanation ya. Agree tat I've got lotz more to learn. Appreciate d efforts guys. Cheers. Let's chill ya.