Leica M Monochrom

xplorer2

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
A fellow clubsnapper was asking me about my opinion on the Leica M Monochrom and I thought I provide some of my personal experience here for those who maybe interested. The following was actually posted in some other forums but rather than hot linking it, I post it again here.
============================================================================================================
A week in Nepal with the MM and M240

Santa came early just before Christmas and delivered a brand new M240 just a couple of days before I went on a week vacation to Nepal. Was considering what was the going to be the setup that I wanted to lug along and finally decided on MM+35 FLE, M240+21SEM and 75APO cron. This was at least to me something that was relatively easy to put into a day pack and trek around as well as afford me a spread of lenses coverage from 21mm to 75mm.

The M240 was really quite nice to use and the colors was quite pleasing to me (on the latest firmware) and the shutter can really be addictive (compared to the MM and my previous M9) but all in all I think I was very pleased with the M240. Sad to say that the M240 is on the way back to Solms due to the shutter speed not displaying correctly in live view and the EVF. Hopefully, its a simple fix and I will get back the M240 soon. Though am bummed this should happen to a brand new camera.

But I got to say that its the MM still continues to amaze me with the clarity and the ability to pull in details. On our way to Pokhara, I was really hoping to see the snow peak mountains but unfortunately the weather was not good and it was really hazy obscuring the peaks. Nevertheless, despite the weather conditions - I took a couple of shots of the mountain range with the MM+35FLE and this was the picture straight off from the camera. I decided to see if I can salvage it with Silver Efex Pro to pull out some details and the second and third images are the result. The third picture is a 100 percent crop of what the details that the MM is able to resolve despite the poor weather. You can actually make out the houses in the foreground of the snow peak Fish Tail mountain peak. The distance from where I was taking the image was on the opposite island right across Fewa Lake which is pretty darn far.

Picture 1 - original image
11756945773_e6204d7edb_b.jpg

Picture 2 - Cropped image and Silver Efex 2 processed
11756945993_e2932aeda4_b.jpg

Picture 3 - 100% Crop of just Mountain Peak
11757449806_b1e62e4215_b.jpg

more please :)

The iso in the MM can turn up to 10,000. It would be interesting to shoot night photography with higher iso. Has anyone done street photography from 2.30am to 5.30am. Many interesting street shots. I love the MM

The M Monochrom is a real BANG of a camera! :)

MM, ISO 5000, Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, 1/60s @ f/2:

MM, ISO 5000, Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, 1/90s @ f/2:

MM, ISO 5000, Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, 1/60s @ f/2:

Hi!

Can anyone share with me. Hope to get some views.

Is there a big different when using the M240 to shoot and convert it to B&W with silver eflex pro and as compare shooting with monochrome. Besides the monochrome ISO been able to raise up to 10,000.

Thanks