Leica lens evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
tao said:
Hacker/Steven, a question... does the ME-1 on the E-500 helps greatly when it comes to manual focusing with the Leica lenses?

No, it makes it much worse. I had to switch back to the original one. It was impossible to focus. That said, I wear glasses so I can't speak on behalf of those who don't.

KrY0LiT3 said:
Stephen: I got a question too... i have been thinking of a Katz Eye screen, but I think it affects the metering. It tends to overexpose if I'm not mistaken. Which screen did you end up with btw?

No screen. I'm using the E-500 :cry: . Actually, it should not affect the metering as the cameras are all TTL. It measures the actual intensity of the light when it hit the sensors. For E-1 users, I recommend highly the Leica adapter. Another alternative is to use the Oly OM to E-System adapter. Someone here is selling US$55 for it and OM lenses cost between US$20 to US$300 for a 600mm on Ebay!

I will shoot proper photos this weekend. Everything you see is shot in my room with available light and hand held. Not exactly ideal.......

Hacker said:
No, it makes it much worse. I had to switch back to the original one. It was impossible to focus. That said, I wear glasses so I can't speak on behalf of those who don't.

But what if you don't wear the glasses and adjust the dioptre at the VF? I have been reading about the distortions that the ME-1 brings to the VF and wants to find out if that is true.

So far, using the E-500's VF with my OM lenses, I find it small compared with the E-300 I had but the E-500's VF is actually brighter/clearer/sharper and accuracy is 99% compared with the E-300's 95%.

I am contemplating buying the ME-1 because I want a larger VF but I will not want to lose the clarity.

Hacker said:
No screen. I'm using the E-500 :cry: . Actually, it should not affect the metering as the cameras are all TTL. It measures the actual intensity of the light when it hit the sensors. For E-1 users, I recommend highly the Leica adapter. Another alternative is to use the Oly OM to E-System adapter. Someone here is selling US$55 for it and OM lenses cost between US$20 to US$300 for a 600mm on Ebay!

I will shoot proper photos this weekend. Everything you see is shot in my room with available light and hand held. Not exactly ideal.......
eh? found this anyway...

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,48/func,view/id,2608/catid,20/

might be worth a look if any e-1 user is planning on getting the KEO FS.

was thinking you might have already bought the e-1. mebbe can test drive how's it like wif the katz eye. lol.

Gerlim said:
Just uploaded some pics taken with the 100mm APO. Hard to see the details with the re-sized images. Also my skill not too good lah! :embrass:

The lens is very good even wide open and in focus it is very, very sharp!

My gallery link : http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15621

ths for the link. those pics r not enuf, lets go shoot some macros of insect together sometime to test out the lens. :) i very 'gian' to see the Leica macro performance.

i find the E1 VF bright enuf for manual focus, so i dun think there's a need for any magnifier eye pc. of cos this differ from people to people. as for the E300 & E500, the VF is quite dark so u may want to have addition accessory for MF purpose.

the big news is..... if u have tried the E330, i think u will love the feature that allows u to magnify the point of focus 10x (i think) so that focus is spot on. i tried one but i m not revealing anything else. :devil: :devil:

nightpiper said:
ths for the link. those pics r not enuf, lets go shoot some macros of insect together sometime to test out the lens. :) i very 'gian' to see the Leica macro performance.

i find the E1 VF bright enuf for manual focus, so i dun think there's a need for any magnifier eye pc. of cos this differ from people to people. as for the E300 & E500, the VF is quite dark so u may want to have addition accessory for MF purpose.

the big news is..... if u have tried the E330, i think u will love the feature that allows u to magnify the point of focus 10x (i think) so that focus is spot on. i tried one but i m not revealing anything else. :devil: :devil:

Oh....come..ooonnn! Tell us more about the E330! You wanna try the 100mm APO? How about this Sat. afternoon? ;)

Gerlim said:
Oh....come..ooonnn! Tell us more about the E330! You wanna try the 100mm APO? How about this Sat. afternoon? ;)

not sure whether this weekend got job or not. can only confirm later on fri. if no job want to go Alexandra Hospital & shoot butterflies? good test for ur 100 APO. u also want to know how it fairs in this digital era right? :devil: :lovegrin: then i tell u some 1st hand news, hee...

nightpiper said:
not sure whether this weekend got job or not. can only confirm later on fri. if no job want to go Alexandra Hospital & shoot butterflies? good test for ur 100 APO. u also want to know how it fairs in this digital era right? :devil: :lovegrin: then i tell u some 1st hand news, hee...

OK Bro...you have PM. Bring on the juicy 1st hand news! :bsmilie:

i have a small comparison here of the Leica 90mm & the ZD 14-54mm.

RoseLeica.jpg

Rosekitlens.jpg

both pics r taken on the same controlled condition with WB set to 5200 & max aperture. its very evident that the Leica produces a very different hue. in this example, no doubt the ZD wins in terms of sharpness & colour accuracy (ignoring the slight vignet) but somehow, i prefer the gentleness & softness of the Leica. it really brings out the mood & feel of a rose like this. :heart:

which one wud u pick? Leica or ZD rose?

edited:
sorry, i forgot to mention the one on top is the Leica lens, the one below is the ZD 14-54mm.

Are U using the APO 90mm?

Hacker said:
Are U using the APO 90mm?

nope, still using the Elmarit 2.8 lens. APO lens too expensive lah, maybe u buy & lend me try out for a week. ;p

i like the pastel look of the Leica, very soothing. i dun mean to say Leica will be best for every shoot but in this case of the rose, i find that it brings out the "ambience". :)

so which one u like, Hacker? :lovegrin:

nightpiper said:
nope, still using the Elmarit 2.8 lens. APO lens too expensive lah, maybe u buy & lend me try out for a week. ;p

i like the pastel look of the Leica, very soothing. i dun mean to say Leica will be best for every shoot but in this case of the rose, i find that it brings out the "ambience". :)

so which one u like, Hacker? :lovegrin:

For portrait, definitely non-APO Leica. For macro, Oly. But somehow, your portrait of the flower is very nice and I like it. There is some softness to it that is very soothing. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I will shoot a few proper shots........heheeeee.

chainsmoker said:
Doesnt look like the ZD has stopped down enough.

huh? i already mentioned the shots r taken at max aperture. the reason for doing so is becos i want to achieve a soft appeal, i do not everything to be sharp. :)

ok, under what circumstances wud i choose the ZD 14-54mm over the Leica? when i need to bring out strong colours, the emphasis is on colours. the ZDs r very good at colours & contrast. :)

here's what i have tried & liked, all taken with the ZD 14-54mm.

YellowRose3.jpg

YellowRose5.jpg

YellowRose.jpg

also with strong colours, i also want great details to go along. in this type of shoot, i will go for the ZDs.

no 2 looks very good with my calibrated monitor. :)
the others got streaks of white - no offence intended.

streaks of white meaning burnt out? the other 2 shot didn't show any burnt out on my CRT. ur LCD can display how many colours & whats the viewing angle like horizontally? if its 16.2M colours & 160 degree, u r probably not seeing all 255 levels of shades & brightness.

no worry, i m not offended at all. u dun even sound offensive to begin with. :lovegrin:

Juz curious.. can all Olympus DSLR model have the leica lens mount or only the E1?

eugenep said:
Juz curious.. can all Olympus DSLR model have the leica lens mount or only the E1?

All models.

Status
Not open for further replies.