LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED is definitely the best among the 3. Only main consideration is the price. Noticeable diff cos of the newer technology. If you're not a TV addict or use it for other things, I'd suggest save the $ and get plasma or LCD. In fact, sometimes, I find LEDs to be too sharp. Tire eyes easily.

It's quite irritating also that for the bigger sized ones, LED TVs tend to come with 3D capability which jacks up the price a lot more. IMHO, 3D is not worth getting. Not for now at least.

Last edited:
Get LED since the TV is going to last you many years....if not next time when you pass by electronic dept store you will bang since everything on display was so nice and mostly LED :lovegrin:

If you are using it to watch more on action stuff like movies, sports etc especially on free to air TV or HD 5, take Plasma no comparison. ;).
In shops you can only see display showing images from BluRay players, that is why the LEDs/LCDs TVs show great images which may be better than Plasma. But when you are watching TV & fast action images, you will be able to see the difference with Plasma quailty.
No more major issues with burn in anymore.
Hope this helps.
:D

If you are using it to watch more on action stuff like movies, sports etc especially on free to air TV or HD 5, take Plasma no comparison. ;).
In shops you can only see display showing images from BluRay players, that is why the LEDs/LCDs TVs show great images which may be better than Plasma. But when you are watching TV & fast action images, you will be able to see the difference with Plasma quailty.
No more major issues with burn in anymore.
Hope this helps.
:D

i am using LCD and i dont see ghosting. Plasma is old technology and not many manufacturers are making it anymore, they are more costly to produce.

Last edited:
i think reflective screens will have more ghosting issues then non reflective screens.

my sony LCD tv i just bought doesn't have ghosting issues too, the screen not that reflective as well.

thanks for the response so far, with regard to glossy vs matt screens, i prefer glossy for the better contrast/sharpness (similar to the effect you get when comparing matt vs glossy pictures)

I have narrowed it down to the following screens, included a promo from M1 broadband for consideration too ha...wonder if I should get the 42 LED, or cheap out on the 42 plasma, or top up abit more for 50" goodness :p Using this in my room, wonder if 50" is overkill....i generally sit about 3-4m away from the TV screen

LG 42" LE4500 LED screen ($1099)
LG 42" PJ350 Plasma screen ($699)
LG 50" PJ350 Plasma sceen ($999)
LG 42" LD450 LCD screen (free with 24mth M1 optic fibre broadband at $93/mth ($34 extra for 24 mths = $816)

If mounting on a wall, would suggest checking where the vents on the back are located. When researching a couple of years ago we noticed that some vents were not located in ideal locations to allow air flow when mounted on the wall. Just a thought...

thanks for the response so far, with regard to glossy vs matt screens, i prefer glossy for the better contrast/sharpness (similar to the effect you get when comparing matt vs glossy pictures)

I have narrowed it down to the following screens, included a promo from M1 broadband for consideration too ha...wonder if I should get the 42 LED, or cheap out on the 42 plasma, or top up abit more for 50" goodness :p Using this in my room, wonder if 50" is overkill....i generally sit about 3-4m away from the TV screen

LG 42" LE4500 LED screen ($1099)
LG 42" PJ350 Plasma screen ($699)
LG 50" PJ350 Plasma sceen ($999)
LG 42" LD450 LCD screen (free with 24mth M1 optic fibre broadband at $93/mth ($34 extra for 24 mths = $816)

LG 50PJ350 $999:bigeyes::bigeyes: where u get the price.. super value for money....

BTW who say plasma cannot connect to pc or laptop?? who say plasma got burn in?? No offence but really sound like frog in the well..

this promo?
http://m1.com.sg/M1/site/M1Corp/men...CMId:f71ac4fb43f5d210VgnVCM100000695a230aRCRD

but looks like you need to win this TV in a lucky draw...

haa...not a lucky draw, there is a roadshow near the esplanade MRT station, sign up for the 100Mbps Fibre Optic broadband at $93/mth (normal subscription $69) and get the 42inch LCD TV free.... but the LD450 is probably an older model, couldn't even find it at gain city...

so its probably not worth $800+?

LG 50PJ350 $999:bigeyes::bigeyes: where u get the price.. super value for money....

BTW who say plasma cannot connect to pc or laptop?? who say plasma got burn in?? No offence but really sound like frog in the well..

ha...ya LG PJ350 50" $999 super good price hor....thats y tempted...initially wasnt really considering 50" for my room :p but its not full HD, only 720P..wonder if it will not be as sharp when viewed spread out over 50", maybe cheaping out on the 42" $699 plasma is better...

i got the quotes from gain city marina sq today during lunchtime

ha...ya LG PJ350 50" $999 super good price hor....thats y tempted...initially wasnt really considering 50" for my room :p but its not full HD, only 720P..wonder if it will not be as sharp when viewed spread out over 50", maybe cheaping out on the 42" $699 plasma is better...

i got the quotes from gain city marina sq today during lunchtime

i got the full HD LG 50PK550 few months back and before i bought i did compare with the PJ350... only when u view close then u can see the different.... but if you always watch local tv, dvd and hd ready material.. the PJ350 is super value for money. LG plasma is good..:thumbsup:

i got the full HD LG 50PK550 few months back and before i bought i did compare with the PJ350... only when u view close then u can see the different.... but if you always watch local tv, dvd and hd ready material.. the PJ350 is super value for money. LG plasma is good..:thumbsup:

thanks for the input!

just wanted to ask also, if i were to buy blue ray dvds to watch....will playing them on a 720p screen make video quality bad? do i really need a full HD screen to really enjoy blueray movies?

haa...not a lucky draw, there is a roadshow near the esplanade MRT station, sign up for the 100Mbps Fibre Optic broadband at $93/mth (normal subscription $69) and get the 42inch LCD TV free.... but the LD450 is probably an older model, couldn't even find it at gain city...

so its probably not worth $800+?

u maybe able to find this model are carrefour, I remember seeing it there sometime back. they are selling the 32" model of LD430 for $488 ;p

think Best Denki at suntec got promo for this LD450 as well.

Full HD is 1920, 720 is < half of that. If you are playing Blue Ray on 720, then do not bother, just watch DVD will not make a difference on the 720 screen.

Plasma TV, you can try Panasonic, they now concentrating on Plasma & also took over from Pioneer who used to make the best Plasma.

You just have to watch a soccer match to see the difference between LCD & Plasma... ;).
For LCD/LED technology at this moment, 32" screen still acceptable, the bigger it is the worse it is.

;)

thanks for the input!

just wanted to ask also, if i were to buy blue ray dvds to watch....will playing them on a 720p screen make video quality bad? do i really need a full HD screen to really enjoy blueray movies?

no it will not look bad... but for blueray u can enjoy the full glory with a full HD panel...
Did u ask the price of the full HD 50PK550? maybe for another few hundred for a full HD is a good buy too if u have lots of full HD materials.

Full HD is 1920, 720 is < half of that. If you are playing Blue Ray on 720, then do not bother, just watch DVD will not make a difference on the 720 screen.

You just have to watch a soccer match to see the difference between LCD & Plasma... ;).
For LCD/LED technology at this moment, 32" screen still acceptable, the bigger it is the worse it is.

;)

This is not true.
Picture quality is more than just resolution. The video chip and the quality of the panel is also important. Just comparing different panel technology is not sufficient.

Take into account viewing distance as well.

See the discussion on HWZ for more on this oft repeated discussion:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2072873

avoid the "non" full HD plasma TV. you will not enjoy it. don't buy already then regret, trust me. especially for a big TV like 50", the different is great for 720p vs 1080p.

i was sourcing the same few months back, i compare the Pana(plasma) and sony(LCD) range, Pana one cannot make it. hence, i bought sony.

me and petetherock have provided the link, please go through it..after that, go down to those shops and compare it for yourself. if salesperson not co-operative, don't buy for them. some sales person will bullsh1t you, hence you need to read more and dont get cheat by them.

if money is a concern, buy whatever you are comfortable.

Last edited:

Plasma TV, you can try Panasonic, they now concentrating on Plasma & also took over from Pioneer who used to make the best Plasma.

;)

Full HD is 1080 vertical pixels, HD is 720 vertical pixels, so 720 is not half of 1080.

If the resolution of the source is better than the resolution of the destination then the picture will look great not worst. BR on a 720p screen will look fantastic, as they would on a standard TV (480) if not even better. If it's the other way around (source resolution is smaller than the destination resolution), like a DVD on a 1080p with no upscaling then it won't look as detailed as on a standard TV.

BR was designed for 1080p screens because their resolutions match and will be as detailed and as sharp as they were intended. 720p equivalent movies will not look as sharp on 1080p screens.

avoid the "non" full HD plasma TV. you will not enjoy it. don't buy already then regret, trust me. especially for a big TV like 50", the different is great for 720p vs 1080p.

i was sourcing the same few months back, i compare the Pana(plasma) and sony(LCD) range, Pana one cannot make it. hence, i bought sony.

me and petetherock have provided the link, please go through it..after that, go down to those shops and compare it for yourself. if salesperson not co-operative, don't buy for them. some sales person will bullsh1t you, hence you need to read more and dont get cheat by them.

if money is a concern, buy whatever you are comfortable.

If Singapore is similar to Australia then the normal HD "720p" tvs whether they're LCDs, LEDs or Plasmas will be quite sufficient for cable TV and general broadcasting since their limit is only 720p at the moment. Watching a lower resolution broadcast than what the TV is intended for will always give you less detail especially if you try to magnify the picture with even larger screens (like in your case a 50" screen).

However if you watch a lot of BR and/or 1080p streaming media from an internet or media device then you should get a Full HD TV.

Bear in mind that there's no point in getting a 50" screen if your room is tiny or you sit really close to the screen. Not only do you need to pan your head to see end to end, but you're wasting a lot of power and "visual estate" like that. Furthermore, you will be watching pixels play with each other going on and off and changing colours than actually watching something.

You have to be at least 10 metres or more away from the big screen to appreciate 1080p.