Know your rights as a photographer USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/photography/know-your-rights-as-a-photographer-146443.php
Writer Andrew Kantor has published an article for USA Today covering your rights as a photographer.

What I discovered is that a lot of people have ideas — often very clear ones — of what is legal and what isn’t, based on anything from common sense to wishful thinking to “I always heard…”

Trouble is, they aren’t always right. If you’ve got a digital camera and like to shoot in public, it pays to know the real deal.

The USA Today article covers the topic nicely. If you’d like to know more, Kantor has also published a PDF cheat sheet on the laws covering photography available for download from his weblog.

While we’re not all professional photographers (or at least I know I’m not), it is important to know your rights. If you take a lot of photos, this information is worth knowing.
New digital camera? Know how, where you can use it [USA Today]
Legal Rights of Photographers [Kantor.com blog with link to PDF]

Do take note that some of the advice/laws on the published article on USA Today is only applicable in the US only.

Our local law might be different in certain areas that are mentioned in those articles.

bartman said:
Do take note that some of the advice/laws on the published article on USA Today is only applicable in the US only.

Our local law might be different in certain areas that are mentioned in those articles.

u r rite, & ttz so sad... :cry:

sORe-EyEz said:
u r rite, & ttz so sad... :cry:

Sad? Did you know in states like New York? You need a Permit to own and use a Tripod? It is not enforced these days. But it is a very old regulation but nobody there seem interested to update it and take it off. If not wrong France also carry this rule. Thus if someone have an axe to grind with you to prevent you from shooting shots and you have your camera on the tripod, they can invoke that and it will be acceptable to stop you from shooting. Each country has their own way of doing things...to each their own, good and bad lah. heh.

sammy888 said:
Sad? Did you know in states like New York? You need a Permit to own and use a Tripod? It is not enforced these days. But it is a very old regulation but nobody there seem interested to update it and take it off. If not wrong France also carry this rule. Thus if someone have an axe to grind with you to prevent you from shooting shots and you have your camera on the tripod, they can invoke that and it will be acceptable to stop you from shooting. Each country has their own way of doing things...to each their own, good and bad lah. heh.

US have lots of old laws that is not abolished lah... like in texas, if you want to drive a motor vehicle into a city, you have to call the cityhall to inform them of your arrival so that they can take proper precaution. In those days where 90% of transport were horses, that law makes sense cos motor vehicle usually scares horses and that can pose a hazard. But they never bother to take off that law. Also, its illegal for 3 unrelated women to live together in 1 house. that law is used to curb prostitution in the late 1800s and the early 1900s. But 2 years ago someone successfully used that law to force 3 noisy college girls to move out of the community.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

idor said:
US have lots of old laws that is not abolished lah... like in texas, if you want to drive a motor vehicle into a city, you have to call the cityhall to inform them of your arrival so that they can take proper precaution. In those days where 90% of transport were horses, that law makes sense cos motor vehicle usually scares horses and that can pose a hazard. But they never bother to take off that law. Also, its illegal for 3 unrelated women to live together in 1 house. that law is used to curb prostitution in the late 1800s and the early 1900s. But 2 years ago someone successfully used that law to force 3 noisy college girls to move out of the community.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hahahah...that is a good one about the 3 women. Ya..well. That is just it. I think in Singapore we are going through that period too regarding digital photography and all that stuff related to it. It is too new that old aging authorities still in power arer not fully aware about it. but they fear it but yet not know much about it..thus fall back on old practices or just plainly tell you "NO" you can not do that!....blah blah blah. I guess it has to take something really bad ( as always ) to make them sit up, fire that idiot and put someone else who does know what they are doing to make the changes.

Actually I saw this documentary not long back on Cable that talked about some of the silly laws still existing in the States. It was very funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.