Kitchen samurai.... Please fall-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is normal. The clay sediment helps to polish and cool the blade at the same time. ;)

Make sure you rinse the whetstone with clean water when you switch sides.

thanks for the tip! :)

since i bought the smallest piece, is there a danger of it being worn out fast (like eraser)? :bsmilie:

yes, i will rinse the blade & the block with water when sediments build up. look like it turned out to be a good deal... ;p the largest block under $20, cheap-cheap. :lovegrin:

Last edited:
since i bought the smallest piece, is there a danger of it being worn out fast (like eraser)? :bsmilie:

After reading this, I am more concern about your knife than your S$6 stone. How small is small? I need some dimensions (length and width).

If the stone is too small, you MUST take extra precaution to make sure that you sharpen the entire blade length in a single stroke. If not, your 'sharpened' blade will be inconsistent and this will lead to uneven and pitted edges.

A correct stone for blade up to 240mm or shorter should measure approximately 210mm x 80mm.

Last edited:
After reading this, I am more concern about your knife than your S$6 stone. How small is small? I need some dimensions (length and width).

If the stone is too small, you MUST take extra precaution to make sure that you sharpen the entire blade length in a single stroke. If not, your 'sharpened' blade will be inconsistent and this will lead to uneven and pitted edges.

A correct stone for blade up to 240mm or shorter should measure approximately 210mm x 80mm.

the stone is 150mm (long) x 58mm (wide) x 18mm (thick). most regularly used blades are under 160mm long (blade length). the chopper has a 200mm long blade, the biggest knife at home.

if things dun look good it still can be used as paper weight! :bsmilie:

:embrass:

the stone is 150mm (long) x 58mm (wide) x 18mm (thick). most regularly used blades are under 160mm long (blade length). the chopper has a 200mm long blade, the biggest knife at home.

if things dun look good it still can be used as paper weight! :bsmilie:

:embrass:

A very oblong paperweight indeed.

Anyway, that is a really small stone. :sweat:

A very oblong paperweight indeed.

Anyway, that is a really small stone. :sweat:

i think so too, but it should be good practice maintaining the angle. got any anti-shake technics? :bsmilie:

i should buy the largest stone & keep it, when my skill steady liao, then upsize!

the largest whetstone at $16, cheap cheap can hand over next generation. wahaa...

:sweatsm:

I use pieces of rubber latex paddings bought from a rubber merchant located along Kelantan Road.

Use long, sturdy, single strokes. Never rush, never jerk.

thanks for the tip, my hands do not shake much but wobbling is a concern, where a perfectly straight edge is hard to achieve.

eh, wad do i do with the latex padding? wrap both sides of the blade? i have them at 1.5mm thick (those black wan), in large sheets. :)

thanks for the tip....

You are most welcome. :)

eh, wad do i do with the latex padding?

Nope. The latex rubber is to be placed underneath the stone to prevent it from slipping and abrading against the counter-top.

Anyway, to stabilize the blade during sharpening, I suggest using this neat gadget:

462_02.jpg

Minosharp Sharpening Guide Rails Set (2 pieces) [photo: Sointu USA]

The guide rails are sold as a set which includes a small and large guide rail. The small guide rail is suitable for knives with blade lengths less than 150mm (6 inches). The large guide rail is suitable for knives larger than 150mm. The guide rails are lined with plastic to minimize scratching on the knives during their use. Any time you remove one of the guide rails from your knife, rinse and clean it thoroughly to remove any residue from the stone that may remain inside the guide rail. To further insure that no residue remains, it is recommended that you pull a clean towel through the guide rail after rinsing. If you fail to remove all the residue from the guide rail, the residue may scratch the knife the next time the guide rail is used.

[ATTENTION: Do not use guide rails when sharpening traditional Japanese knives.]

You can purchase them from Tangs Orchard.

Last edited:
You are most welcome. :)

Nope. The latex rubber is to be placed underneath the stone to prevent it from slipping and abrading against the counter-top.

Anyway, to stabilize the blade during sharpening, I suggest using this neat gadget:

462_02.jpg

Minosharp Sharpening Guide Rails Set (2 pieces) [photo: Sointu USA]

The guide rails are sold as a set which includes a small and large guide rail. The small guide rail is suitable for knives with blade lengths less than 150mm (6 inches). The large guide rail is suitable for knives larger than 150mm. The guide rails are lined with plastic to minimize scratching on the knives during their use. Any time you remove one of the guide rails from your knife, rinse and clean it thoroughly to remove any residue from the stone that may remain inside the guide rail. To further insure that no residue remains, it is recommended that you pull a clean towel through the guide rail after rinsing. If you fail to remove all the residue from the guide rail, the residue may scratch the knife the next time the guide rail is used.

[ATTENTION: Do not use guide rails when sharpening traditional Japanese knives.]

You can purchase them from Tangs Orchard.

oh, that's what i did with my 1st practise, i was afraid to stain the kitchen rags.

looks like i'll opt to practise without the angle guides, to save $$. wait my mum tot i 1 2 take over her kitchen!! :sweat: i am a kitchen ninja... do things dun let ppl know! shhh....:sweatsm:

Last edited:
wait my mum tot i 1 2 take over her kitchen!! :sweat:

Mum? :think: Your mum still nags at you for messing up her kitchen. :sweatsm::sweat:

Now I finally understand why you use such a small stone. I would do the same too if I still have a mum to nag at me.

Last edited:
From my own experience, a cut wound from a sharp knife heals faster than one cuts with a dull knife. Trust me on this, I have cut myself more than enough to notice this.

Finally, I understand the saying I have been reading all these years, that "a sharp knife is a safe knife". Thanks for that.

BTW would anyone know if Heap Seng is opened on Saturdays? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mum? How old are you? :think:

Your mum still nags at you for messing up her kitchen. :sweatsm::sweat:

Now I finally understand why you use such a small stone. I would do the same too if I still have a mum to nag at me.

yes, even buying betta tools is a walk on the tight rope... :rolleyes:

it's not how old i am that counts, it's how much older my mum is... :sweat:

Last edited:
it's not how old i am that counts, it's how much older my mum is... :sweat:

I used to help my grandmother and mother sharpen their kitchen knives. My grandmother was my first sifu. She taught me the basic know-hows. I was already in my late teens then (that was in 1970s).

When I was younger, my mother never allowed me to touch any of her kitchen knife. But it was my grandmother who taught me how to appreciate good kitchen knives and tools.

My mother passed away in 1988 (due to cancer), when I was in my twenties. Before then, she still nags at me for messing up her beloved kitchen. :sweat:

yes, even buying betta tools is a walk on the tight rope... :rolleyes:

My grandmother loved kitchen tools and gadgets (she was the first housewife in Singapore to own a SEB pressure cooker), whereas my mother did every imaginable kitchen task with just a Chinese cleaver. This clearly shows that seniority is not a determining factor, it is the mindset of a person.

Last edited:
BTW would anyone know if Heap Seng is opened on Saturdays?

Heap Seng opens from 10:30am to 2:30pm on Saturdays.

Finally, I understand the saying I have been reading all these years, that "a sharp knife is a safe knife".

Yes, a sharp knife is indeed a safe knife. For more than two years, I have not sustained any serious knife cuts (touch wood). However, small nicks are unavoidable for any chef or knife hobbyist.

After I met my present sifu, Sensei David of Razorsharp, I have learnt how to avoid getting cuts.

Last edited:
Finally, I understand the saying I have been reading all these years, that "a sharp knife is a safe knife". Thanks for that.

I totally agree with that saying, but not for the reason you quoted (cuts from sharp knife heals faster). With a sharp knife, you put a lot less force on the knife when you're cutting, so you have much better control, so it is less likely to slip and cause accidents. photobum / kopiokaya must have mentioned it as well, I'm sure.

I totally agree with that saying, but not for the reason you quoted (cuts from sharp knife heals faster). With a sharp knife, you put a lot less force on the knife when you're cutting, so you have much better control, so it is less likely to slip and cause accidents. photobum / kopiokaya must have mentioned it as well, I'm sure.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Heap Seng opens from 10:30am to 2:30pm on Saturdays.
Thanks. I feel this uncontrollable urge to go out and get a Kai Shun and re-ignite my love for cooking after reading this thread. Thanks for that.

After I met my present sifu, Sensei David of Razorsharp, I have learnt how to avoid getting cuts.
Does it have anything to do with how your left hand is poised to feed the food to the cutting edge?

Thanks. I feel this uncontrollable urge to go out and get a Kai Shun and re-ignite my love for cooking after reading this thread. Thanks for that.

Does it have anything to do with how your left hand is poised to feed the food to the cutting edge?

let the sifu kopiOkaya shed some insights.

I'm not too sure about the left hand feeding the food to the cutting edge. for me as a right handed fella,

Usually i kinda half curl my fingers so that the midsection forms just a slight angle away from the blade of the knife, i don't put pressure/strength on the left hand.

Its there to "hold" the food together, while the right hand blade goes up and down without going too high up and moves towards the left in a fine slice/chop method.

I'm not too sure if how i do it is the correct method, though i have been able to cut and cook and churn food out like my childhood days in Kampar and Ipoh..... esp in those RESTORAN :D

nothing fanciful.

I used to help my grandmother and mother sharpen their kitchen knives. My grandmother was my first sifu. She taught me the basic know-hows. I was already in my late teens then (that was in 1970s).

When I was younger, my mother never allowed me to touch any of her kitchen knife. But it was my grandmother who taught me how to appreciate good kitchen knives and tools.

My mother passed away in 1988 (due to cancer), when I was in my twenties. Before then, she still nags at me for messing up her beloved kitchen. :sweat:

My grandmother loved kitchen tools and gadgets (she was the first housewife in Singapore to own a SEB pressure cooker), whereas my mother did every imaginable kitchen task with just a Chinese cleaver. This clearly shows that seniority is not a determining factor, it is the mindset of a person.

i wish i was as lucky as you are... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.