[Kenneth1704] A Photo A Day 2015 (Mobile Version)

Kenneth1704

Nov 26, 2009
An album to keep me motivated throughout, even through tough times.
Target : [2015/1/1 ~ 2015/12/31]

This is the first time I am embarking on such a commitment.

I plan to take a photo everyday without the use of any DSLR or high end cameras. I will just be using my mobile devices to capture the moment and editing them with simple photo editing applications.

Please be kind.
Thank you very much.

Peeping out for the new year.
[2015/1/1]

BG Info: This was a soft toy (lent to me) which i brought to Tokyo when I came over to work in April 2014. I kept it on my bed all these while and it so happened to be under my pillow when i woke up on the 1st of January 2015 morning, so I decided to take a shot of it.

16200737472_ce016291f1_c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wonglp
So many things to do, yet we chose to receive blessings from the Japanese Emperor.
[2015/1/2] — at 皇居 Tokyo Imperial Palace.

BG Info: The Japanese Palace is very rarely opened to public for most of the year. On this day, the palace will be opened for the public to take a walk inside and meet the Emperor for a few times in the day from morning to afternoon. He will walk up to the podium and speak to everyone on ground, giving his well wishes and blessings to the people of Japan. The Emperor is symbolic to the Japanese, hence, many locals travel from faraway prefectures just to come and meet him to receive his blessings. Many foreigners like us were just there to get a feel of how it is like to be part of the parade.

16015457449_cca895ccca_c.jpg

Last edited:
Ski in the Snow Mountain
[2015/1/3] — at GALA湯沢スノーリゾート(Gala yuzawa snow resort).

BG Info: This was a very last minute ski-trip that tried to squeeze into our travel itinerary. My girlfriend's friend was dropping by Tokyo for a day or two, so we decided to take a day trip to the snow resort for a ski session. Outside the rest house, there were many railings for people to rest their snowboards. However, some of the skis were placed rooted into the hard snowy ground around the area at the edge. The colours of the skis were very contrasting and very beautiful against the white background, so I decided to take a shot at it.

16015741167_5bc009fba2_c.jpg

Last edited:
She's waiting for the train to go home.
[2015/1/4]

BG Info: The area where I staying at for now is actually quite rural. The locals call it the "bed-town", which literally, people go there just for their beds. It almost a fully residential town with not much activities going on. The trains to central Tokyo are quite frequent in the day, but the frequency decreases as night falls. Sometimes, I run the risk of missing the last train home because of the early departure of the last train to my area. I stay about 6-7km from Ikebukuro and so it is not very possible to walk back home at times. Buses to my area from Ikebukuro actually ends even earlier, just before 10pm each day.

15579142174_52d9128e48_c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice start! Thanks for sharing!

Nice start! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I have some more backlog to clear though. I will try to finish all the photography backlog as soon as possible. ;)

Learning language enables you to learn the culture as well.
[2015/1/5]
— at MLC Meguro Language Center

BG Info: A new start of the year, today is my official day one of work for year 2015. It also signifies that my lessons will be resuming now. It was a great two weeks break from official lessons. Under the company's welfare package for foreign employees, language study is compulsory unless we pass the business level outlined by the company. Our lessons are sponsored by the company so at the minimum, we just have to clock attendance.

15584126733_afa676558f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Peeping Pika-zard.
[2015/1/6]

BG Info: I got mine from the second batch before they run out officially. I did not understand what was the hype about previously. So happened that we were in Ikebukuro Pokemon MegaTokyo Store and there were stock, so we just got ourselves one each. We are unsure if they will restock this Pika-zard soon or not.

15593745133_6658032767_c.jpg

Morning route to work.
[2015/1/7]

BG Info: This is the morning route which I normally take to the train station. The route normally is bustling with people in the morning who are on their way to work. However, the morning is too cold now for people to stroll to the train station. Many times, I see people rushing to the station to avoid staying in the cold as much as possible. The route is so serene and peaceful now.

16217452792_44ca61a4f8_c.jpg

And you are just enjoying the "cold" walk, taking pictures! Keep this going. Always enjoy the streets in Japan. The serene ones.

And you are just enjoying the "cold" walk, taking pictures! Keep this going. Always enjoy the streets in Japan. The serene ones.

Thank you!~

I dont want to risk getting into health problems by running. Because of the cold weather, there have been many warnings by the Japan Metrological Agency regarding the low air pressures in the area. So for people who arent used to the sudden change in air pressures, they will feel shortness of breaths and hyperventilate. I try to stay on the safe side, especially in the morning when it is the coldest point of time in the day. :bsmilie:

Hot Drinks from Vending Machine
[2015/1/8]

BG Info: In this kind of cold weather, hot drinks feels the best as it warms you up from within. Some people choose to sit in a cafe to enjoy their hot drinks, while others will get their quick fix from Vending Machines. For urgent quick fix of hot drinks, there's always convenience stores, or a even quicker fix, there is the Vending Machine.

16224294351_c752404b50_c.jpg

7:36am. Choo-Choo-Train.
[2015/1/9]

BG Info: Tobu-Nikko Line (Limited Express) by JR East. This train is quite special. There is only ONE train going towards Tobu-Nikko from Ikebukuro and ONE train going out from Tobu-Nikko. I took it once and it was quite a pleasant experience. This is quite recommended for people to try if they are looking to go to Nikko as part of their itinerary. Daily departure from Ikebukuro is at 7:36am sharp though.

16231838401_3875858bd3_c.jpg

Very interesting photo journal. I kinda like the way you describe the background of your photo. Almost can feel what you are feeling when you took the photos. Like the feel of Japan as well. Jia You! :)

Last edited:
An album to keep me motivated throughout, even through tough times.
Target : [2015/1/1 ~ 2015/12/31]

This is the first time I am embarking on such a commitment.

I plan to take a photo everyday without the use of any DSLR or high end cameras. I will just be using my mobile devices to capture the moment and editing them with simple photo editing applications.

Please be kind.
Thank you very much.

I enjoy viewing your photos of Japan in this thread with their accompanying notes. Looking forward to more. You're privileged to be able to work in Japan as well as to learn Japanese and experience the culture first-hand. Thanks for sharing.

Parker Fountain Pen.
[2015/1/10]

BG Info: People always ask me what kind of brands I like. I dont really have any brands that I particularly like, I am the kind that goes for practicality. But then, when it comes to writing instruments, I do have some preference. For everyday usage, I use Pilot. For more formal occasions, normally i prefer Parker Fountain Pen. But they do not come cheap. Take it as a form of investment.

16057393007_6cab0cd1db_c.jpg

Convenience Stores
[2015/1/11]

BG Info: The presence of Convenience Stores is in a way that you can never ignore it. They are so prevalent to the point that almost every corner of the streets you turn, you will encounter one, be it Lawson, Seven Eleven, Sunkus, Family Mart, and so on. Some of these chains have sub-chains, for example in the case of Lawson, they have Lawson Natural, which sells organic and natural products, or Lawson 100, which sells products at 100yen. There are different sizes for convenience store chains. The bigger ones have reserved parking space for cars and trucks.

15629028414_d792fd05d5_c.jpg