[Keithwee] Preview of the Fujifilm X70 : The Petite Powerhouse

23115255373_d1eca8c298_b.jpg

and my final shot for this preview.

Built in flash , tilt screen all in with details from the X-Trans II sensor.

In all, for the X70 my review is that its a camera easy to love and very difficult to dislike. The fact is that Fujifilm never really had plans to make a APSC sensor compact but somehow with a change of decisions, they have produced a camera compact enough to be deemed pocketable and yet powerful enough for even the the needs of the professional user.

Thank you for reading ;)

Dear all, X70 preorder details.

23762719854_2830cd41df_b.jpg

Thanks for the review, Keith, and my favourite photo is the last one (mushroom shot).
Looks like a solid performer. How would you rate it against the Ricoh GRII ?
Did you manage to try out the wide conversion lens?

hi !

Thank you :)

Performance wise I will say the X70 is better than the GR II if I am looking at AF speed. The SR+ (Fuji's auto mode) works very well on the X70 too, moving to macro , portrait , landscape modes very intuitively. IQ wise, one can see that both are great and are APSC cameras.

The tilt screen is not a must have but a really great function to have and lastly , both are very similar in size & pocketable.

Remember also that the X70 has a touch screen which one can use to focus/snap too while GR doesn't.

However, I will say without a doubt my preference for the GR's B&W renderings still (nothing can beat that lol), and the overall the GR II has a more durable build. I've a bro who dropped his from a 90 cm height and it was unscathed.

The WCL-X100 though can be screwed onto the X70 will work badly (vignetting and distortion) hence the reason for a WCL-X70. I did not get to trip the WCL-X70 and the adapter should reach a few months later.

Can this be charged by USB? Either power plug like handphone or powerbank

Can this be charged by USB? Either power plug like handphone or powerbank

Hi, like the X100T, the X70 supports USB charging. I've tried it with a Xiaomi powerbank and our handphone chargers and it works.

Thanks for the review bro, nice mushroom shot. the tilt+touchscreen is a real great addition to what GR/GRII has to offer. So tempting!

Thanks bro, looking forward to what u will be sharing very soon end of Jan :bsmilie:

Keith, how is the manual focus operation on the X70? Does it allow photographer to set hyperfocal distance like the snap feature in the GR? This is important feature for me because I shoot manual focus using F8 - F16 on the street. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hi,

Manual focus operation on the X70 simple. A flick of the knob in front of the camera and u r in Manual focus mode, there's focusing aids like Fuji's Digital Split image (works like the old sch rangefiner patch) etc.

To adjust, the focusing ring is on the lens element itself.

Next question, what I realised on my pre-production set was I can set it to F8 (of course as its a physical aperture ring) and then set focusing distance prior to shooting. Switching off the camera doesn't remove the set distance.

Lastly, in MF, one can always press the AFL button and the camera will do a AF over-ride, which is useful for some cases where u know u must die die nail that shot.

wow, the mushroom shot impresses me most about this camera.

I am a bit undecided because it does do bokeh portraits that well. haha

wow, the mushroom shot impresses me most about this camera. I am a bit undecided because it does do bokeh portraits that well. haha

You should see the A0 size print of the mushroom shot ;) portraits are definitely great if u talk about details but of course u prob won't get the subject isolation one might get with a 135/2 lens

24185312204_521bf110dc_b.jpg

X70

Last edited:
Just found out need to get hood to mount filter... Zzzz....

bro, its not the 'hood' to mount filter. Its actually the 'hood adapter' that allows one to mount the filter.

I tried, the X100 adapter works on the X70 too so you can mount a filter but do note the end screws are different and will not fit the X70 hood.

bro, its not the 'hood' to mount filter. Its actually the 'hood adapter' that allows one to mount the filter.

I tried, the X100 adapter works on the X70 too so you can mount a filter but do note the end screws are different and will not fit the X70 hood.

Thanks bro.. I found out abit more from Jere yesterday... What happened is a normal filter can fit in however cos x70 has auto macro mode and when it goes into it the lens barrel protrudes out which will hit the filter... Therefore the hood adapter is recommended to extend the filter further out... Alternatively one can get 2 49mm filters to stack with the inner piece glass removed... Cool way to overcome a modern problem keke

Thanks bro.. I found out abit more from Jere yesterday... What happened is a normal filter can fit in however cos x70 has auto macro mode and when it goes into it the lens barrel protrudes out which will hit the filter... Therefore the hood adapter is recommended to extend the filter further out... Alternatively one can get 2 49mm filters to stack with the inner piece glass removed... Cool way to overcome a modern problem keke

nice fix bro. Didn't know about that lol. But for the filters u got to stack, is it difficult to remove the inner glass?