Kata bag coming again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very strange that the DR-4xx series is cheaper than the 3N1 series when it's supposed to be the opposite. Was looking to get a 3N1-20 until they quoted me the insane price, so decided to get a DR-466 instead. Even their sensitivity is ridiculous at 199, when I only paid less than 150 for it 2 years ago.

I intend to get a DR 467 and i assumed that it will cost more than a 3N1-20. I was surprised when i saw the price of the DR. :)

Guys, I bought KATA 3N1 after my previous post.

Bought it from MS Color at S$ 150 when I bought D90 kit together. I can say it's a decent bag which the flip works excellent to me. Btw, tripod holder have to buy separately and they don't have it now.

anyone know where to get the tripod holder? Called up Vector Magnectics and they dont have it.

Anyone know where to get Kata 3IN 1 20?

anyone know where to get the tripod holder? Called up Vector Magnectics and they dont have it.

Good news, the guys at Vector called me and told me some tripod holders will be coming in next week.:thumbsup:

I saw at least 3in1-20 & 30 at TK. not sure the price.

Hi,

I have bought 2 kata-bags. One is the DPS 3N1-20 (S$199 incl. gst) and the other is DR-466i (S$178 incl. gst) from main distributor vector-magnetics at 200 middle road opp sunshine plaza, paid in cash. Was contemplating to buy either 3N1-20 or DR-466i when I was there. So I bought both! Another option for me was the Lowepro Fastpack 250. Lowepro fastpack 250 can accomodate both 15.4" notebook and camera gear for fast sling action with the top side able to fit some extra personal gears. It is not waterproof though and does not come with rain cover. Although this feature is good but the looks is not as fashionable as kata-bags. Quite big too IMO.

My mini review of the kata-bags 3N1-20.
The kata-bag 3N1-20 is the middle size of three models. The other is 3N1-10 (small) and 3N1-30 (Large). The 3N1-10 is too small for my gear and the 3N1-30 is too large for me. The 3N1-20 suits just nice. Most reviews on the net stated that a DSLR with battery grip mounted with 70-200mm lens can fit just nice into the bag. You can hold extra lenses depending on your configurations. The top side for personal gears is not that spacious. Just some small personal stuffs will do just fine like small foldable umbrella or thin light jacket or some sandwhiches for outdoor shootings. Just to summarize,

Advantages:
1) ICU (Internal Camera Unit) is configurable to your gadgets needs.
2) Fast quickdraw action
3) The top side (personal gear) and bottom side (camera gear) are seperated by a pad with zippers which can be removed to accommodate the whole depth of the bag for bigger lens.
4) Configurable for left handed, right handed or as a normal backpack or the X configuration with sling action.
5) Comes with rain cover
6) Has a slot to use with a trolley
7) Fashionable and rectangular n shape.
8) Very bright yellow interior (easy to find things in low light condition)
9) For tripods, using the D-ring helps (tripod holder available as an option = costly)

Disadvantages:
1) Top compartment not large enough (for my case)
2) No space for water bottle
3) Top compartment and bottom compartment seperated pads with zippers have holes on the sides (beware not to put drinks on top compartment) may cause leakage to your camera gears.
4) No D-rings on slings
5) No slots for notebook (due to small size and for fast quickdraw action)

The design is intended for casual outdoor day shoots with some essential gears with fast quickdraw action. If need more items, then this bag is not recommended.

My mini review of the kata-bags DR-466i.
The DR-466i is an improved version over the older DR-466. It looks like another ordinary backpack/rucksack. The version I have is Black/Red. Some improvements are as stated below:
1) Comes with a strap and slot for tripod (tripod holder connection)
2) Zippered division to open for one large compartment (top and bottom join into one)
3) Shoulder straps with connections for pouches
4) EPH system compatibility (with other kata products)

This bag can hold your camera gears, notebook as well as your personal gears. It has a spacious top compartment. Most kata bags will have yellow interior. Summary:

Advantages:
1) Able to hold a notebook. Max size is 14" but it managed to hold my 15.4" macbook pro when I remove additional padding
2) Has a tripod holder or a normal 600ml water bottle holder which can be tuck out of sight when not in use.
3) ICU (internal camera unit) is removable and configurable
4) Can be used as a normal backpack with the zippered division fully opened with the ICU removed
5) Comes with rain cover
6) Slot for use with a trolley
7) Fashionable (like a normal backpack)
8) Does not look big
9) Has both chest and waist support to distribute weight

Disadvantages:
1) Barely to fit my 15.4" notebook -> better get the DR-467i (not available yet)
2) DSLR with large lens (70-200mm) might not be able to fit unless you configure the ICU correctly. This will take up space thus less room for other lenses or equipments in the bottom side.

This bag suits me when I need to travel with both camera, equipments and notebook. Cannot bring too many bags which restrict your movements especially when you travel.
It is also airport friendly because the notebook compartment is seperated from the main bag. It is also able to fit most airline cabin or can be tucked under the seat.

Refer here for my images of this (DR-466i) bag.

Both bags comes with 5 years warranty from Kata-bags. Please retain your receipt for warranty (important).

Last edited:
My mini review of the kata-bags 3N1-20.
The kata-bag 3N1-20 is the middle size of three models. The other is 3N1-10 (small) and 3N1-30 (Large). The 3N1-10 is too small for my gear and the 3N1-30 is too large for me. The 3N1-20 suits just nice. Most reviews on the net stated that a DSLR with battery grip mounted with 70-200mm lens can fit just nice into the bag. You can hold extra lenses depending on your configurations. The top side for personal gears is not that spacious. Just some small personal stuffs will do just fine like small foldable umbrella or thin light jacket or some sandwhiches for outdoor shootings. Just to summarize,

Advantages:
1) ICU (Internal Camera Unit) is configurable to your gadgets needs.
2) Fast quickdraw action
3) The top side (personal gear) and bottom side (camera gear) are seperated by a pad with zippers which can be removed to accommodate the whole depth of the bag for bigger lens.
4) Configurable for left handed, right handed or as a normal backpack or the X configuration with sling action.
5) Comes with rain cover
6) Has a slot to use with a trolley
7) Fashionable and rectangular n shape.
8) Very bright yellow interior (easy to find things n low light)

Disadvantages:
1) Top compartment not large enough (for my case)
2) No space for tripods.
3) No space for water bottle
4) Top compartment and bottom compartment seperated pads with zippers have holes on the sides (beware not to put drinks on top compartment) may cause leakage to your camera gears.
5) No D-rings on slings
6) No slots for notebook (due to small size and for fast quickdraw action)

The design is intended for casual outdoor day shoots with some essential gears with fast quickdraw action. If need more items, then this bag is not recommended.

Just to correct this review, you CAN put a tripod on this bag if you get their tripod holder attachment. It's really innovative IMO.

I saw Mustafa selling a KATA 3in30 for 199. Called TK 2 weeks a go for the same got a quote for $250.

Just to correct this review, you CAN put a tripod on this bag if you get their tripod holder attachment. It's really innovative IMO.

My bad, will edit the post. Thanks for pointing out.

I saw Mustafa selling a KATA 3in30 for 199. Called TK 2 weeks a go for the same got a quote for $250.

I was not sure where to get it so I went directly to distro. Thought would be cheaper but again, did managed to get it discounted. For SG market, the retail price is said to be S$236 for 3N1-20 and S$299 for 3N1-30. I asked them if can discount and they offered me S$278 for the 3N1-30. At least, you guys have a reference already for the price list of kata-bags!

Regards,
Jay

just wondering, has anyone seen the T216 here in s'pore?
any idea how much it costs?

thanks

just wondering, has anyone seen the T216 here in s'pore?
any idea how much it costs?

thanks

So far have not come across any locally. You might want to check with vector magnetics? Since they are officially the distro...

Regards,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.