K-x Battery Indicator!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add on, try it with Liveview mode as the pentaxforum did mention about potential higher powder drain in Liveview causing these issues.

My advise for the affect folks, try Energizer AA lithium first and see if the lithium meets your usage pattern. They may be expensive in price but really lasting. Don't go for cheapo expiring ones unless you are intending to expend them immediately and then to have unexpected lifespan. But don't buy from Homefix, expensive.

Some may not be consistent user thus lithium can last for 1/2 year. Don't because of solving the rechargeable issue that you ended up buying excess Enelopes.

To add on, try it with Liveview mode as the pentaxforum did mention about potential higher powder drain in Liveview causing these issues.

My advise for the affect folks, try Energizer AA lithium first and see if the lithium meets your usage pattern. They may be expensive in price but really lasting. Don't go for cheapo expiring ones unless you are intending to expend them immediately and then to have unexpected lifespan. But don't buy from Homefix, expensive.

Some may not be consistent user thus lithium can last for 1/2 year. Don't because of solving the rechargeable issue that you ended up buying excess Enelopes.

Do you really mean try it without liveview?
In anycase, mine was ok once I set the battery setting to NiMH. I am keeping the Lithiums as backup instead. Now waiting for the batteries to die so I can gauge how many photos can be taken using the eneloops. At #191 now. So far still at full but I know once drop to the first bar, then it will fall quite rapidly. :)

I mean try with liveview on, so that the camera max the power, then to discover the problem if existed. There are many responses out there but never consistent with usage or explanation.

I had the Canon S3 IS and Fuji F550 once which drains duracell and energizer alkaline extremely fast (can be 30-50 shot flash or no flash and died), tested difference battery packs, Carbon batt can't even last 5 shots. Only NiMH and Lithium AA are accepted (Lithium can last 1 year for my general usage).

Do you really mean try it without liveview?
In anycase, mine was ok once I set the battery setting to NiMH. I am keeping the Lithiums as backup instead. Now waiting for the batteries to die so I can gauge how many photos can be taken using the eneloops. At #191 now. So far still at full but I know once drop to the first bar, then it will fall quite rapidly. :)

Yep, tried the LV mode, the power demand is much more. A 50% expanded alkaline can power the flash + shots without problem but not enough for a single LV mode.

I mean try with liveview on, so that the camera max the power, then to discover the problem if existed. There are many responses out there but never consistent with usage or explanation.

I had the Canon S3 IS and Fuji F550 once which drains duracell and energizer alkaline extremely fast (can be 30-50 shot flash or no flash and died), tested difference battery packs, Carbon batt can't even last 5 shots. Only NiMH and Lithium AA are accepted (Lithium can last 1 year for my general usage).

oh I see....in any case, I did use the liveview a few times to capture movie clips.
Never used it too long though as I find the slower focussing in liveview inconvenient.
:)

Bro, after using the K-X for sometimes, what is its average battery lifespan if you only use liveview occasionally? How long can the batteries last?

oh I see....in any case, I did use the liveview a few times to capture movie clips.
Never used it too long though as I find the slower focussing in liveview inconvenient.

Bro, after using the K-X for sometimes, what is its average battery lifespan if you only use liveview occasionally? How long can the batteries last?

I'm still on my first full charge since my switch to NiMH battery mode.
So far 217 photos and about 7 approx one-min video clips with the battery level still at "full".
I am using the eneloops that came with the package. :) Will update again once the battery is depleted. On the other forums, k-x owners are reporting at least 450 shots (no info on liveview but likely pure-DSLR mode).

Hi
Just did an experiment and switched to live view. Took about 12 shots. Each time the battery indicated drops for a split second and then goes back to full green status.
At the end of the experiment, when I tried to switch back to normal mode, the camera power went below full bar. So I guess to avoid this problem stay clear of using extended live view mode unless you are doing video instead until Pentax gives a firmware fix for this. (that mode seems ok for minute long videos).
I just recharged the battery back to full now and restarting my battery endurance test.

Guess what, in the package from Japan is a brochure with the picture of Kx camera and the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. So meaning is clear :bsmilie:

Conclusion, the battery compatibility issue has to be weeded out by Pentax. So till Pentax comes out with something, stay within the following points and nothing will affect you.

- Stay away from alkaline batteries as K-x may not know how to fully utilize the charge completely (at least it is not Duracell friendly). Fresh alkaline will power the K-x nicely but can go depleted unexpectedly. More input required.

- Stick to well known rechargeables like Enelope, Reckyo and Energizer AA lithium if you are going to buy new batteries. Else stick to what you have and use AA lithium as backup. And if you are those who uses your camera once a while only, just get Energizer AA lithium (try to get latest batch date stamp and don't ever drop the batt on hard floor, it may leak).

- Don't use LV focusing where possible. Anyway, the manual would have also advised against long usage.

- When switching between battery type, you will have to wait for couple of secs (6-10sec), on/off twice before the camera will power up. So don't mistaken as DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.