Journey with the Pen-F

d7studio

Jul 10, 2017
Singapore
The Olympus m43 is probably one of the most interesting system that I have owned so far. I have used Canon system for a long long time, the Sony for a short while and also the Olympus M43. All systems have their pros and cons, needless to say. And I do love the Canon dSLR given that I have used it for almost like 30 years by and by. As age catches up and as you decided to spend more time with photography on personal works, the ultimate path that leads me towards Olympus is one about taking good pictures for keepers and have a system that allows me to go places with it. In short, lightweight, good camera technology and great lenses.

When I upgraded to the E-M1 Mark II, I know that this has more or less replaced my dSLR (which it did). However, after lugging the camera and 2 of the trinity lenses, I realized age has really caught up with me. I still complained about its weight and the need for a separate bag to house my gears. As I looked around, I toyed with the aesthetically awesome retro looking Pen-F, I asked if this is the answer to my search for the ultimate camera system. It seems to be so far although this is just the beginning.

A way to prove if the Pen-F would be the answer, I will let the lifespan of this thread be the answer to the question. Here we go.

Last edited:
A walk along Marina Bay Sands on a hot afternoon in June 2017 with the Pen-F, 17mm and 25mm lenses.

2chairs_penf.jpg

Title: 2 Chairs Having A Good Time

---

abstract_penf.jpg

Title: Abstract Needs No Explanation

---

alient_penf.jpg

Title: The Same Alien Has Landed

---

canal_penf.jpg

Title: A Different Way to Shop

---

More to come later ...

Last edited:

dining_penf.jpg

Title: Dinning With A View

---

reflection_penf.jpg

Title: The Truth Is Not In The Reflection

---

shopping_penf.jpg

Title: Shop Your Day Away

---

water_penf.jpg

Title: We Are All Surrounded By Water

---

watereverywhere_penf.jpg

Title: Water Up There and Water Down There

---

More to come later ...

Last edited:
Though not a weather sealed camera, the Pen-F and the accompanying non-pro lens survived well in 3rd World cities like Phnom Penh, Cambodia. This trip was a virgin trip for the Pen-F and I am still liking it so much.

sunrise_penf.jpg

Title: Good Morning Phnom Penh

---

waterbusiness_penf.jpg

Title: Life On Wavy Ground

---

wave_penf.jpg

Title: Either A Wave or A No

---

breakfast_penf.jpg

Title: A Place To Start The Day

---

More to come ...

Last edited:

marketing_penf.jpg

Title: This Is What A Wet Market Is All About

---

pigeons_penf.jpg

Title: Ready To Take Off

---

palace_penf.jpg

Title: Royal Palace Of Cambodia

---

landed_penf.jpg

Title: Announcing The Arrival Of ...

---

waiting_penf.jpg

Title: Your Flight Is Now Ready For Boarding

---

More to come ...

A single image preview of my 2nd trip with the Pen-F to Phenom Penh. This set of images to come will be more in color than black and white. Most images are taken with the 17mm f/1.8 and occasionally the 25mm f/1.8.

This image was taken at a non-profit kindergarten where children in this village are given an opportunity to have free education in the hope that it will be their first step to changing their lives for the better.

B e y o n d T h e G a t e s
beyond_penf.jpg

---
Stay tune for the rest of the pictures from this trip.

Last edited:
At the Kindergarten of Cambodia Care School

Just like Singapore, the School here runs 4 kindergarten classes of 2 K1 and 2 K2 respectively. Children get to learn songs, dances, alphabets, and education curriculum that are approved by the Cambodia Curriculum Board. More importantly, it is a day-sheltered for children who are vulnerable to abuse if left alone at home.

smiley_penf.jpg

Title: Smile And Everything Will Be Like Sunshine

---

playground_penf.jpg

Title: This Is My Playground

---

boss_penf.jpg

Title: I Am In-Charge Here

---

At the main compound of Cambodia Care School, classes from grade 1 to 6 are being conducted here. A registered school under the Education Ministry of Cambodia but run independently, the school offers more than education. It is a community project that provides care in areas ranging from medical to nutrition and even sheltered program for children who are being abused. The school works independently with various non-profit groups such as churches and NGOs to extend support to these children living in the village.

food_penf.jpg

Title: Free Nutrition For The Day

---

saycheese_penf.jpg

Title: I Want To Be In The Frame

---

Last edited:
fantastic. keep the mages flowing ya.

Nice shots. Glad you enjoy the system, Pen F is indeed a lovely camera, the best Pen I've used so far.

The Pen-F not only is the travel camera i use these days but it also replaces the heavier system I used to use when covering church events. With prime lenses of 12mm, 25mm and the 75mm, I am fully equipped to produce the images I need create archive for the church. Only wish for cleaner noise at higher ISO in future releases. Other than that, nothing is stopping me from using the Pen-F in different occasions.

Here are a few pictures for the sake of sharing how great the Pen-F is...

01_eventphotography_penf.jpg

---

02_eventphotography_penf.jpg

---

03_eventphotography_penf.jpg

---

04_eventphotography_penf.jpg

---

05_eventphotography_penf.jpg

---

More to come ...

Housing or a roof over your head is the basic necessity that everyone needs. It is a shelter that protects the human self regardless of how poor you are. Without a shelter, life is almost without value of existence. That is why in Singapore and almost everywhere else, properties are valuable assets. On the other hand, in Phnom Penh and other 3rd world cities, the house they live in may have zero value because of the land it is being built - abandoned cemetery. But to the dwellers, it is all they can afford and they think of nothing of its worth but how to bring food to the table on a day by day basis. Here are a couple of pictures to show you what it is like - I have removed the more undesirable pictures but these 3 should tell the story.

slumhousing01_penf.jpg

Title: Life Goes On

---

slumhousing02_penf.jpg

Title: Join Me For Lunch?

---

slumhousing03_penf.jpg

Title: We Are All Neighbours

---

More to come ...

Thanks for sharing!