..... it tells history

No right or wrong, but my wife says: U dare pickup watch collection hobby after photography, you're history... So, that's grey area, really. :bsmilie: That watch has a classic clean look btw. Good choice.

Thanks !

Btw , I do obey a house rule . Buy 1 camera body must sell 1 camera body ;)

Rolex is NOT the:
• most accurate watch
• most beautiful watch
• most expensive watch
• most durable watch
• watch with the toughest most unbreakable glass
• watch with the most ingenious complications mechanism
• most water resistant watch (Pita Oceana is the One)

But Rolex knows how to manage the brand, so that it retains resale value over the years.
Rolex appears regularly in advertisements. It is about branding and psychology of consumers.

if u wan an accurate watch, any watch with an analog or digital quartz mechanism worth around $5 will do the trick. You lose around 4-5 seconds per month compared to 4-5 seconds every few weeks compared to a mechanical watch.

but for information sharing purposes, people who pay more than the usual amount typically understand the value behind a mechanical mechanism where in the top tier brands, every single piece of mechanism (u can have more than a thousand minute sized pieces in a complication) is hand crafted and set by hand. The finishing in some cases if u ask me, can even be considered superfluous.

Its not only marketing or brand management. Rolex (and other brands) watches typically outlast their owners if u know how to care for them. Another example is Vacheron Constantin who guarantees repair of any model in its 200+ yr history. No one will ever be willing to pay $8000 for a Rolex Explorer 1 or $14,000 for a IWC 7-day if its not going to last at least half your lifetime.
Quartz watches do not last that long and u don't really leave behind a G-Shock for your kids ;)

kinda like why pay around $1 000 000 for a Ferrari when you can buy a Honda for around $120 000 when in SG the red lights effectively prevent anyone from ever hitting the top speeds.

sometimes its simply the appreciation of the workings behind it; akin to respecting and appreciating the efforts that went into building the camera that u r holding in your hands.

Here one I love from Patek Philippe

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation" ;)

if u wan an accurate watch, any watch with an analog or digital quartz mechanism worth around $5 will do the trick. You lose around 4-5 seconds per month compared to 4-5 seconds every few weeks compared to a mechanical watch.

but for information sharing purposes, people who pay more than the usual amount typically understand the value behind a mechanical mechanism where in the top tier brands, every single piece of mechanism (u can have more than a thousand minute sized pieces in a complication) is hand crafted and set by hand. The finishing in some cases if u ask me, can even be considered superfluous.

Its not only marketing or brand management. Rolex (and other brands) watches typically outlast their owners if u know how to care for them. Another example is Vacheron Constantin who guarantees repair of any model in its 200+ yr history. No one will ever be willing to pay $8000 for a Rolex Explorer 1 or $14,000 for a IWC 7-day if its not going to last at least half your lifetime.
Quartz watches do not last that long and u don't really leave behind a G-Shock for your kids ;)

kinda like why pay around $1 000 000 for a Ferrari when you can buy a Honda for around $120 000 when in SG the red lights effectively prevent anyone from ever hitting the top speeds.

sometimes its simply the appreciation of the workings behind it; akin to respecting and appreciating the efforts that went into building the camera that u r holding in your hands.

Haha. Try explaining that to the Hublot Big Bang owners running a Valjoux 7750 movement inside!

No doubt about this. I share a fairly similar sentiment about a watchmaker's dedication and heritage.

Nonetheless, you have to concede the Rolex has absolute mastery at marketing - other than the oyster case, there is nothing extraordinary about a Rolex, and the models sold today are nothing too different from that sold 30 years ago. Compared to the Big 3 (I like to think Big 4, to include Jaeger-LeCoultre), Rolex hasn't got that much in heritage and pedigree either. When Rolex starts adding bling to its models, you know they are succumbing to consumer demands, instead of developing its pedigree and watchmaking mastery further.

Still, I have to say that indeed, Rolex did have a few things going for it in the last century, and yes, if I had the watches I desire for, I would probably add a Rolex oyster perpetual to my collection for completeness's sake.

Unfortunately, I have not achieved to skill of piecing a vintage piece back. Would love to hear of your experience in detail.

Haha. Try explaining that to the Hublot Big Bang owners running a Valjoux 7750 movement inside!

woah, i still can't afford to shell out for a Big Bang. If i bought that i'm sure i'll go out with a bang from the wife ;)

No doubt about this. I share a fairly similar sentiment about a watchmaker's dedication and heritage.

Nonetheless, you have to concede the Rolex has absolute mastery at marketing - other than the oyster case, there is nothing extraordinary about a Rolex, and the models sold today are nothing too different from that sold 30 years ago. Compared to the Big 3 (I like to think Big 4, to include Jaeger-LeCoultre), Rolex hasn't got that much in heritage and pedigree either. When Rolex starts adding bling to its models, you know they are succumbing to consumer demands, instead of developing its pedigree and watchmaking mastery further.

i agree. hence for Rolex, actually from than the Explorer 1 - I have stopped buying them all totally. Its a bit sad when u see them now wooing a 'certain' segment by increasingly dumping more n more diamonds etc while new kids on the block like Chanel and Cartier are innovating.

Still, I have to say that indeed, Rolex did have a few things going for it in the last century, and yes, if I had the watches I desire for, I would probably add a Rolex oyster perpetual to my collection for completeness's sake.

I do kinda desire a Bell & Ross (the classic models like BR-03-92) but now i have cut down almost totally in buying watches :) There can only be so many one can buy right haha I'm sure u understand. I prefer chasing rare classical pieces rather than the newest design. The Oyster perpetuals are tanks, u can ask anyone above 50 yrs old and generally you will find that their models have been running perfectly for decades without even a proper maintenance done once.

Unfortunately, I have not achieved to skill of piecing a vintage piece back. Would love to hear of your experience in detail.

i confess, i do not know watch repair if that's what u r asking but i do of a good trustworthy shop that does repair or maintenance of all good watches. The main guy gets re-certified annually in Swiss and if u ever need, let me know and I can intro. Best thing is they charge at least half of what authorized dealers do and give warranty on their work.

What happened was I got intro-ed to this old gentle lady who wanted her collection to go to someone who'd care for them. Its hard to explain, but this lady was the type whom u know u gotta respect almost immed with her grace etc haha. The Rolex 1002 was part of her collection & the cheapest piece (i obviously couldn't afford the even rarer ones like an antique looking Rolex chronograph she had)

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/rarest-rolex-chronographs-in-the-w - (even today i hope it wasn't this piece i missed but ya, i can't really remember how it looked like)

the 1002 was in almost mint condition but came with a leather strap with dated papers/boxes; rare nowadays (i haven't seen another piece w/papers) so i got it off her with the assurance I'd never sell it (yeap, it was a promise). She told me the watch had been kept and unused for decades so next thing it went to Rolex for maintenance. :) even the guys there were a bit taken aback by this piece. The thing abt vintage models is that if u wan to maintain its value, u do minimal re-working. A beat-up looking one can actually cost more than a brand new looking one.

I then took to almost every reputable shop i knew off , friends to look for the original bracelet. Most bracelets had been either filed (few people know but when u polish a bracelet, it loses a few mm of its girth) or simply broken. Finally found 1 off this boss of a shop in Bencoolen and spent a few hours pleading with him to sell but he was nice enough to let me have it and that was it.

now it stays at home generally and my wife wears it once in a while. The case is acrylic as with all vintage models (you can actually get it buffed at Swatch, i did it once and boy it was fun) so it doesn't go out often.

Auto watches.... I not an auto lover after my experience with auto watches... I not into hi end stuffs... some Seiko with 6R15, 7s36.... and they broke down, and was not accurate.... to me.... checked with my friends who own Omega, breitling, etc... and they say it is not as accurate...

Most accurate should be radio wave watches.....

Conclusion.... a Quartz can "tell time more accurately" and I will be history one day.... Rolex or not!

Its like saying why buy a DSLR when a PNS can easily take photos. Furthermore, watches no longer tell the time, they tell a person's taste. It's a jewellery now, not a time piece.
I really like my Rolex Explorer II. The previous version, not the newest one. Put it on only during weekends though to preserve the pristine condition haha. I rather that then move up to a full frame. LOL
To each his own on what they value more.

Anyway, seriously, I have enough hobbies: Watch, Camera, Aquascaping......

P.S. Wishlist still consists of a Panerai though.
P.S. Dreamlist (Really dream) A Patek Phillipe...

Its like saying why buy a DSLR when a PNS can easily take photos. Furthermore, watches no longer tell the time, they tell a person's taste. It's a jewellery now, not a time piece. I really like my Rolex Explorer II. The previous version, not the newest one. Put it on only during weekends though to preserve the pristine condition haha. I rather that then move up to a full frame. LOL To each his own on what they value more. Anyway, seriously, I have enough hobbies: Watch, Camera, Aquascaping...... P.S. Wishlist still consists of a Panerai though. P.S. Dreamlist (Really dream) A Patek Phillipe...

Save up for the Patek and forget the Panerai :)
I rather have the cheapest model from Patek than have the most expensive model from Panerai.

Depending on yr age, Patek very old man leh, Panerai more sporty looking...

I'm in my late twenties, and I would be more impressed with a peer who has a Patek Philippe than one with a Panerai.

Want sporty? Don't waste time. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.

I don't care if people judge me by the watch on my wrist.

There are many show-offs these days, and i would rather use watches that suit the activities i enjoy rather than buy something that will show off my "value".

That being said, there are a lot of crass people these days using expensive, designer watches that behave badly. So i don't really think a watch is important in telling the taste that someone has

I'm in my late twenties, and I would be more impressed with a peer who has a Patek Philippe than one with a Panerai.

Want sporty? Don't waste time. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.

Why not PP Nautilus :)