IT Show 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If noise is the problem, I have found Samsung harddisks to be quietest. But, strangely I could not find 1tb samsung harddisks in Sim Lim. They are highly rated too (in newegg,com)
you could try bizgram but HD only, no enclosure.

Moral of story, if things fail as they sometimes do, just livewith it!(not very philosophical eh!)

No. Moral: organize your storage, make a proper concept in terms of safety and resilience. Minimize the impact of a single component failing by having data redundancy. RAID1 is not rocket science and all standard mainbords with SATA controller support this. Single external HDD are not suitable for longterm storage, they only serve as a quick transport from system A to system B. There are external enclosures supporting RAID1 and RAID5. But they costs a few bucks more than the el cheapo USB enclosures.
People always jumping for the newest gadgets should not be surprised if things fail soon. Technology needs time to mature and this is contradicting the standard marketing approach. Professional storage vendors use 300GB disks (or maybe slowly going to 500GB now), they know why.

Unlikely that you'll get better price for DSLRs at tech shows like that. Maybe some more freebies, but not better price.

... correct lor.. you sell the freebies if you dont need it. if you manage to sell, total cost of actual purchase reduce

Moral: those whose HDD crashed without any contingency measure are immorals ;p

No. Moral: organize your storage, make a proper concept in terms of safety and resilience. Minimize the impact of a single component failing by having data redundancy. RAID1 is not rocket science and all standard mainbords with SATA controller support this. Single external HDD are not suitable for longterm storage, they only serve as a quick transport from system A to system B. There are external enclosures supporting RAID1 and RAID5. But they costs a few bucks more than the el cheapo USB enclosures.
People always jumping for the newest gadgets should not be surprised if things fail soon. Technology needs time to mature and this is contradicting the standard marketing approach. Professional storage vendors use 300GB disks (or maybe slowly going to 500GB now), they know why.

moi will be looking out for broadband offers..my snbb just finished :D

hopefully macbook offer is up again!

yup, planning to get a D90 (or D300) but 90% towards D90, hehehe

For mid-range,D90 e BEST :thumbsup:. For semi-pro,D300 or D700 e BEST :thumbsup:. :D< hee..

moi will be looking out for broadband offers..my snbb just finished :D

hopefully macbook offer is up again!

Mine was up back in Dec. A little info was leaked by a SNBB call officer that the macbook offer may just pop up during the show when she called me up to recontract and I gave them a firm No to such lousy offer at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will become a reality. ;)

Mine was up back in Dec. A little info was leaked by a SNBB call officer that the macbook offer may just pop up during the show when she called me up to recontract and I gave them a firm No to such lousy offer at the moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will become a reality. ;)

oo...will be on the look out then...actually i want the macbook or any high value item for interest free instant cash loan. :bsmilie:

not necessarily. If you do find and buy a external hdd cheaper then usual, make sure you get an unfilled local distributor warranty card for it as well. from what i heard, the local distros dont service parallel import items but in case lost the warranty card, the distributor can verify their stock or not by serial number.

Nowaday, dealer use receipt as warranty card lei. For IT equipement, they will asked you to keep the receipt as warranty card or asked you to login to the product website to register the warranty. Normally during such IT fair the harddisk is much cheaper then normal. last june I saw the WD 230 GB Harddisk was selling for $199 during the last day of the fair. I hesitated to buy till now I cannot find another 230 GB below $199 again. :)

Last edited:
yup, planning to get a D90 (or D300) but 90% towards D90, hehehe

Normally during this kind of fair, it's only the big timer like Courts or Harvey Norman sell those DSLR and they always sell at Retail price. The most they can do is to add in some Freebies but when you add them all up together, it's still more expensive then you buying them separately at shops outside. This is my 2 cents.:)

This is what I do for the issue of hdd storing issue:

I get myself a Maxtor Buffalo 500gb desktop external hdd (the ones where you have to plug in power supply and bulky that its not convenient to bring anywher) and a portable ones 250gb or 320gb. Backup on both hdd. Try not to move the one on my desk as hdd failures mostly are due to impacts on the hdd when moving them around.

Cheers
ahtiow

My observations so far:

1. Best bargain / Costronic are where the cheapest cards can be found
2. Sandisk normally not much lower
3. LCD Monitors are cheap
4. HDD are cheap (remember I got my 120gb WD my passport 1 year ago for only 100+)
5. Camera stuffs are limited and not cheaper
6. Laptops are (normally) not cheaper: lower price but strange configuration

Nevertheless, I always got sick after a few hours trying to move through the crowd at the fair :D

Nowaday, dealer use receipt as warranty card lei. For IT equipement, they will asked you to keep the receipt as warranty card or asked you to login to the product website to register the warranty. Normally during such IT fair the harddisk is much cheaper then normal. last june I saw the WD 230 GB Harddisk was selling for $199 during the last day of the fair. I hesitated to buy till now I cannot find another 230 GB below $199 again. :)

230Gb for $199 ? That's extremely expensive! Are we talking about SCSI drives here ? :think:

I just got myself a 500Gb 2.5" drive for $169/-. Now put it in a eSATA case, runs just like an internal drive when connected! :thumbsup:

the recent digital life reviewed nw gt 2TB HDD......I think can expect to see server based storages for use in homes in few yrs time....lolz

Hi any recommendation on external harddisk??? Brand? 500gb / 1T?? Me thinking to buy 3.5' v 2.5'????

Please advice............. Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.