It is okay for you guys to help me out with my FYP?

Actually how about doing a background low priority replication system that can work with captureone and lightroom.

Problem:
PC crash, data loss. Difficulty to share results across different platform.

Solution:
1.Type of plugin that does backing up of copies to the cloud to prevent data loss.
2.Algo that can share 100% crop when users are previewing the effects that has been changed.
3.Your program transcode the raw into jpg for both sides to preview.
4. Adjustment is done locally however results are stored online.

Benefits:
No need to wait to preview while editing.
data redundancy.
fast sharing.

diagram as below.

Box1 = capture one user
Box2 = Lightroom user
Box3 = Replication server

<> Communication direction

Eg. Box1 <> Box 3 <> box 2

firstly like to cong u in able to get so many response.
Newbie or old bird all of us are artist in our own world so i will not use ur service.
But if ur objective provide a platform to showcase n sell our work to ad companies or magz. then i will of coz spend whole night to upload.
Now ur FYP becomes easier n cover both techical n Business plan.

What i like to have:
I upload my raw, u conv to jpg with watermark n copyright n showcase it. ur client like my photo pay u n u pay me then u send ur client the raw.

This will cover topics on web-host, watermark n copyright techno implementation, batch processing, billing system n etc. Adobe took so many year to get to image processing. i will not even try it with a FYP. This also allow u to score points to research on copyright law n IP sale in Singapore n region.

My 2 cent to help.

What i like to have:
I upload my raw, u conv to jpg with watermark n copyright n showcase it. ur client like my photo pay u n u pay me then u send ur client the raw.

NEVER send your RAW to the client.

Seriously if theres a good software that can help market your the photographer's works and generate revenue. Then only there will be people using it. other wise its just another layer of fat/white elephant software.

I guess a challenge for academic project is that they are not fully aware of commercial cost involved in Hosting services. (I also done such FYP in my Poly & Uni days.. after coming out to the society, then know, siao, costing totally out ; p)

Say you host a server farm in a Data Center with 5 Rack (each rack monthly rental SG$1000, so 5 rack = $5,000)

Bandwidth for each rack (since it deals with large files, you might need about 10Mb for each rack) so total 50Mb for all. (cost of 50Mb per month, special deal, maybe $8,000)

If you need processing power, you will need more server, you will need additional Power supply to each rack.
Say keeping things simple, $500 for each rack for additional power supply, that makes $2,500 for 5 rack.

Your Data Center cost will be SG$15,500.

This exclude your server, SAN Storage, License fees etc.

BTW, I'm not engineer, but just happen to come across a Media company that purchase their Data Center service and the Monthly Fee are much higher then the above. (the above cost are pretty subjective)

Just my 2 cents worth ; )

Thank you for your views. They've helped me think a lot actually :)

I guess one of the problems might have been the vague description of my project. Please let me clarify.

1. >> I'm actually looking to provide the post processing options as sliders that users can use to adjust the values. So instead of just relying on the 'auto' function, you can have a certain degree of control at least. I'm seeing the user interface to be something similar to that of Photoshop when you first open a RAW file - image preview (in JPEG) on left, sliders on right. And as you make adjustments, the preview will be updated accordingly. One main concern would be the speed at which the preview can be generated like what Rashkae has mentioned. But that will depend on the size of the RAW file.

2. and 3. >> I see your business perspective. But please allow me to further clarify that my application shares both JPEG and RAW. It accepts a RAW file, post processes it, generates the JPEG, then keeps your RAW files private unless you specifically allow it to be shared. So you sell only the pictures in JPEG format - you still charge them 3 times for post processing instead of 1, or you could charge them a really high premium before you open up the RAW files to them on a particular project portfolio. What I'm trying to achieve here is to increase the accessibility of your RAW files while still providing a level of security. Ideas for this project actually came about from the following scenarios:

A. Would my application be useful in circumstances whereby you need to post process a RAW file urgently and
  • You couldn't find a terminal with the proper software to process your RAW image
  • You don't have your memory card/storage drive with you

B. Does it allow you the flexibility of choosing where you can work on your photographs rather than limited to your desktop? Say in the office but you don't have any rights to install programs?

C. Do you also have situations whereby you want to share a RAW file but have found it tedious to do so because you have to
  • Load up Photoshop or the bundled software from your camera to verify the contents of the RAW file before uploading (Thumbnails doesn't work for RAW files on my file explorer)
  • Upload it on a separate file hosting solution when it could be downloaded directly (if the permission permits) from your online photo album via my application?

D. Would the sharing of RAW on a website be a useful feature when you can have team mates or close friends who can help you out with the post processing? Say you're on a tight schedule or sharing the workload.

I think this site could also act as your portfolio to showcase your projects in low-res thumbnails, allow high res downloads to customers and allow you to work on various locations.

Thank you for your valuable time! :cheers:

Wow very ambitious project. Good luck with it. :)

What i like to have:

NEVER send your RAW to the client.

Must be a slip of the tongue. Or rather, keyboard.

The photo is already converted into jpg with watermark, so I think this is what redantckc is intending to send to the client actually. Unless he really means send the RAW file, which is ridiculous.

hi.
I just shot for fun. But can educate me why raw can not be shared.

Rashkae, I take back my earlier statement.

Redantckc, if the client asked you for a product shoot and you were shooting film, would you give your client the negatives?

If ya want to do big, host it in US. No point hosting in expensive coloc here... first... the market here is probably so small...and cost is high...u might as well host it in US, where the market is so much bigger, yet hosting cost is much lower.