Iso

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also shoot as low ISO as possible if the conditions permit. Less grain is always easier to work with...unless you want special effects like grainy black and white photos that give the magic touch...there are films that are ASA3200...I think Kodak TMAX...

Talk about grainy...

For low light situations, i would jack up the ISO settings of my camera to try and increase the shutter speed so as to reduce hand shake...also, when working with zooms, sometimes i would have to increase the shutter speed to again, reduce handshake.

Originally posted by mervlam
My general guideline is to use as low an ISO as possible. If you find the photo blur from handshake or the subject is moving, use a higher ISO. Make sure that you will be comfortable (ie. hand-holdable) with the shutter speed of the camera at the particular ISO.

Generally,

lower ISO (50-200) for stationary subjects (eg. landscape, night scenes, macro work with flash)

higher ISO (400 onwards) for moving subjects (mainly indoor shoots eg. concerts with ISO 400 with flash, 800 onwards without flash)

if you are using digital, beware of electronic noise at higher ISO. If your camera has noise reduction, switch it on.

thanks!! you've been of immense help!;) :thumbsup: so basically use a low iso as possible, as long as there's no blurring? on a digital cam pov, wat would be the recommended iso for normal outdoor shooting in both sunny and cloudy conditions?

here's a shot taken during cloudy weather(about to rain), any suggestions on how i might improve the shot? seems kinda blur to me... pictures taken using my canon ixus 330 in manual mode(exp compensation +1/3, iso 50, white balance cloudy, flash off)
aae.jpg

here's another one taken with the same settings as above
aad.jpg

the first pic seems sharp on the left side. may be u focus on the left side only

Another rule of thumb...always use the reciprocal of the focal length you are shooting for a guide as to what the shutter speed shld be...for eg:

shooting at 50mm, shutter speed at least 1/50s, for shooting at 200mm, shutter speed at least 1/200s...

But most of us just usually try our luck...i sometimes shoot at 1/15s @ 200mm and hope for the best;p

butters,

Provide more info like the shutter speed, aperture etc...from your EXIF info...

actually the pics look fine...definitely shooting at least f5.6 and above...i think.

Maybe you need to do some post processing like unsharp mask and apply a bit of contrast to help liven up the dullness due to the overcast weather.

Originally posted by zapp!
butters,

Provide more info like the shutter speed, aperture etc...from your EXIF info...

actually the pics look fine...definitely shooting at least f5.6 and above...i think.

Maybe you need to do some post processing like unsharp mask and apply a bit of contrast to help liven up the dullness due to the overcast weather.

well here's the exact exif data for both the pics...

File: 103-0396_IMG.JPG
File size: 989KB
Image Serial Number: 103-0396
Camera Model: Canon DIGITAL IXUS 330
Firmware: Firmware Version 1.00
Date/Time: 2002.06.05 15:36:33
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 4.7
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 50
Lens: 5.0 to 16.0 mm
Focal length: 16.0 mm
Subject distance: 66 m
AF mode: Single AF
Focus point: [Center + Right]
Image size: 1600 x 1200
Image quality: Superfine
White balance: Cloudy
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
aae.jpg

File: 103-0395_IMG.JPG
File size: 775KB
Image Serial Number: 103-0395
Camera Model: Canon DIGITAL IXUS 330
Firmware: Firmware Version 1.00
Date/Time: 2002.06.05 15:34:36
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 50
Lens: 5.0 to 16.0 mm
Focal length: 5.0 mm
Subject distance: 1.84 m
AF mode: Single AF
Focus point: [Left + Center + Right]
Image size: 1600 x 1200
Image quality: Superfine
White balance: Cloudy
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
aad.jpg

Butters, maybe for the first pic, next time stop down to f8 if possible...is there aperture priority mode in the Ixus 330? Use that...

Originally posted by zapp!
Butters, maybe for the first pic, next time stop down to f8 if possible...is there aperture priority mode in the Ixus 330? Use that...

sigh, sadly there's no aperture priority mode... thanks for your help anyway... appreciate it..

Status
Not open for further replies.