is uv filter really needed????

Status
Not open for further replies.
How cheap is it to go back and take the shots again cause of some nice flare? :) I like this analogy about condoms, it's the same idea behind: know what you are doing and be alert.

Flaring doesn't always occur... And in the event that you do, the alert photographer can always remove the filter.

Flaring doesn't always occur... And in the event that you do, the alert photographer can always remove the filter.

ONLY if you have the luxury of time and re-taking the shot.

I avoid removing my filters as much as possible. Wears out the scrrew threads on the lens too easily. Anyway, I think a filter does improve saturation to some extend. It doesnt necesarily hurt the IQ compared to a naked lens.

I avoid removing my filters as much as possible. Wears out the scrrew threads on the lens too easily. Anyway, I think a filter does improve saturation to some extend. It doesnt necesarily hurt the IQ compared to a naked lens.

You can trust your equipment a bit more. Lenses and camera can withstand much more than we dare to think, be it a few water splashes, dust or screwing / unscrewing of filters. As long as a bit caution is involved the threads will do their job for a long time.
I think saturation is better controlled in post-processing as well other parameters (contrast, colour tones etc).
Filters are essential where light or parts of light need to be blocked from getting to the sensor because it is unwanted and cannot be removed later, e.g. stray light (use CPL, Haze filter) or where the total amount of light needs to be controlled (use ND, GND).

ONLY if you have the luxury of time and re-taking the shot.

True true... But I just hope that readers do not have the mis-conception that you always / regularly get flares and ghosting just by using a filter.

You can trust your equipment a bit more. Lenses and camera can withstand much more than we dare to think, be it a few water splashes, dust or screwing / unscrewing of filters. As long as a bit caution is involved the threads will do their job for a long time.
I think saturation is better controlled in post-processing as well other parameters (contrast, colour tones etc).
Filters are essential where light or parts of light need to be blocked from getting to the sensor because it is unwanted and cannot be removed later, e.g. stray light (use CPL, Haze filter) or where the total amount of light needs to be controlled (use ND, GND).
For the screwing/unscrfewing part, I am speaking more from experience because the filters did dislodged part of my lens's screw thread. Probably cos my lens body is metal, but not tough enuff I guess.

True true... But I just hope that readers do not have the mis-conception that you always / regularly get flares and ghosting just by using a filter.

Ghosting with poor quality filters when shooting at night is quite common....

Of course not always. But several times I had the situation that by changing my position to get a different perspective suddenly I had a light (sun, lamp etc) in the frame causing flare and ghosting. If I can chose between a) nailing the shot without flare at once; b) stop, unscrew filter, moment is gone / object has moved away; and c) shooting anyway and have the flare - I can easily go without b) and c).
To each his own. Reading this forum I see more optical issues caused by filters than damaged lenses / filters.

hi bros.. i use filter on with lens hood. is it gd or bad. haha

I have filters on all my lenses (don't believe in taking it off one lens to put on another -- that's asking for trouble as well as being inconvenient). However, I am still not convinced that filters for protection are a good idea. I suppose I should take some test shots with and without a filter fitted, then closely examine the results to see If the filter haters do have a point. Yes, I'll do that. Then I'm not just relying on the advice of others. I suggest anyone who's not sure that filters do degrade image quality should also take some test shots of the same subject with and without.

Of course, it's quite possible for some of you that lens protection is more important than absolute image quality. Do what you feel most comfortable with.

Last edited:
Of course, it's quite possible for some of you that lens protection is more important than absolute image quality. Do what you feel most comfortable with.

I will feel more comfortable with the filter on.
Yesterday, I have a bad situation. My kid just try to slam his ball into the len. The filter help to protect the len ( I'm lucky ) but end up damage the my $78 B+W filter ( not so lucky ).:sweatsm:

I will feel more comfortable with the filter on.
Yesterday, I have a bad situation. My kid just try to slam his ball into the len. The filter help to protect the len ( I'm lucky ) but end up damage the my $78 B+W filter ( not so lucky ).:sweatsm:

well technically in that case a lens hood would have done the job as well .. unless it was a golfball sized ball or smaller. :D

Use lens w filter to prevent tiny dust from collecting around lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.