Is this lens good for golf shoot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die Hard

Jun 4, 2007
Hi Im a newbie here. I wish to know if this lens Nikon 18mm-200mm VR DX good for shooting golf game:) Is it sharp ?

Thanks for all brother & sister here for help;)

Cheers

Just a note about photographing golf:

You did not mention whether the golfing event is a competition or just for fun. Golfers require concentration and they can be distracted by slight noises, even if it's just the sound of a camera shutter. Try not to photograph a golfer when he/she is about hit the ball.

But if the golfer is willing to pose for you in mid-swing, then no problem.

Just a note about photographing golf:

You did not mention whether the golfing event is a competition or just for fun. Golfers require concentration and they can be distracted by slight noises, even if it's just the sound of a camera shutter. Try not to photograph a golfer when he/she is about hit the ball.

But if the golfer is willing to pose for you in mid-swing, then no problem.

Wah you pro lei guess u do golf:thumbsup: Im helping my friend to take a friendly golf game that y I need a lens that can take a group shoot & the swing shoot. What you thing of this lens brother ?;)

What is sharp to you may not be sharp to me. Some will say the 18-200 is adequately sharp, and others will say it is soft. If it were me, I'd get a walkabout zoom for group shots, and a tele for swing shots.

Hi Im a newbie here. I wish to know if this lens Nikon 18mm-200mm VR DX good for shooting golf game:) Is it sharp ?

Thanks for all brother & sister here for help;)

Cheers

more than enough.

use f8 for sharp image.

a tripod would help more; a mono would help less; bean bag much less...

and ntg would be worse!!!

just my $5/- ... as they say; your kilos may vary ;)

Have been engaging Golf photography for our own Golf community.
Below is our 10th anniversary @ Palm Resort.
Don't just take the golfer...many thing you can catch around the 9 or 18 holes greenery...
Dan

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2622148#P-1-9

I would recommend something longer (300mm +) so you wont antagonize any golfer's with the shutter click or else take a picture only after the golfer's follow through.

i second buddy, 300mm at least if you are shooting serious golf game... some golfer might just whack you up with their club if your shutter sound disturbed them...

If you are shooting for your friend, don't have to use 300mm lah; I assume your friends are playing leisure and not pro golfers that cannot be distracted by your humble shutter clicks right.;)

BTW, unless you go to some remote golf course that nobody plays, you'd better not bring a tripod/mono pod or the marshal will likely to chase you down and the flight behind will rain flying balls on you.:nono:

I've used my 18-200 VR for my day golf and it is excellent; be discrete if you spot marshal around.

F8 will get you the sharpness but your shutter speed will suffer; in golf shot, you want to catch the golfer's swing in action which is typically less than half a second for the down swing cycle. You may want to use shutter priority instead for swing shots and bump up the ISO to 400-800 to freeze the swing action.

For night night golf, I find 18-200 too slow even with the bright lights; obviously the use of flash is out of the question.

Have been engaging Golf photography for our own Golf community.
Below is our 10th anniversary @ Palm Resort.
Don't just take the golfer...many thing you can catch around the 9 or 18 holes greenery...
Dan

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2622148#P-1-9

Wah very nice shot you have:thumbsup: . But 1 piont they 1 2 see the golfer face in full view went they tee off lei with the club over there head shot. Guess I have to get the tele lens to cover the tee off shot :bsmilie:

If you are shooting for your friend, don't have to use 300mm lah; I assume your friends are playing leisure and not pro golfers that cannot be distracted by your humble shutter clicks right.;)

BTW, unless you go to some remote golf course that nobody plays, you'd better not bring a tripod/mono pod or the marshal will likely to chase you down and the flight behind will rain flying balls on you.:nono:

I've used my 18-200 VR for my day golf and it is excellent; be discrete if you spot marshal around.

F8 will get you the sharpness but your shutter speed will suffer; in golf shot, you want to catch the golfer's swing in action which is typically less than half a second for the down swing cycle. You may want to use shutter priority instead for swing shots and bump up the ISO to 400-800 to freeze the swing action.

For night night golf, I find 18-200 too slow even with the bright lights; obviously the use of flash is out of the question.

Thanks alot for your advice. Anyway the golf event will held in Bintan that why I don't 1 2 carry so many stuff there & don't how good is this lens:)

depends on your need to be honest. if you are shooting it for some freelances jobs then of course this lens is quite limited to what you can achieve.
if it's for fun and leisure, it's ok lah...
afterall, the golf game is the priority, not photographing it. :)

For covering a golf event, you dun really need a long range lens. For me, I uses the AFS28-70 f/2.8 throughout the whole event. Cos the best framing IMHO for golfers is during Tee-Off after he took the shot and complete the full swing of the club high up and the body bend together with the complete swing. :)

However do prepare yourself a wide angle lens for the final group shoot at the end of the game.

I believe your 18-200 lens will do fine to cover this event. And if possible take 'burst' shots so as to get the best framed picture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.